• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    Two years ago I purchased a set of M1 Garands from the CMP. After having them form a while I wanted a 1911 to "complete the set", some may say. I wanted a Government Model made in the USA that represented what was issued to our troops. While the government issue 1911 is a good looking gun, I wanted a sightly modernized version. I looked at a lot of makers Springfield, Les Bear, Wilson Combat, Kimber, etc... but only one made sense for what I was looking for. John Browning and Colt were the original designers and manufacturers of the 1911. It seemed only right to buy a Colt.

The Colt model I chose was one of the XSE series, particularly model O1980XSE. The XSE is a government model Series 80 made from all forged steel with Novak sights, enhanced (skeleton) hammer, and 3 hole aluminum trigger. The sights, hammer and trigger are what differentiate it from a typical government model 1911.

Colt 1911s are a hot commodity and I have been looking over a year for the Colt XSE model I wanted. All the gun shops I've been to either didn't carry Colt or didn't have any in stock. I found a couple Colt XSEs at the Indy 1500 but never the model I wanted. Finally today when I went in to my local barber shop / gun store I found what I had been looking for, and I couldn't be happier. :)

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I just sold a Colt XSE in the classifieds on here. Probably for much less than you just paid for that one.

They are decent 1911s but I think I would prefer a Goldcup.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I just sold a Colt XSE in the classifieds on here. Probably for much less than you just paid for that one.

Yours and the Gold Cup Trophy my gun store had both have the same problem, they are the wrong color. A Gold Cup National Match wouldn't be bad though.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN

The OP bought a new gun he had searched hard for and is proud of and this guy here wants to ruin it. This post was unnecessary and rude. Congrats on the Colt, its a beauty.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The OP bought a new gun he had searched hard for and is proud of and this guy here wants to ruin it. This post was unnecessary and rude. Congrats on the Colt, its a beauty.

:dunno:

Telling the truth is unnecessary and rude? Informing the OP of my opinion based on extensive experience with the particular model of 1911 he just purchased is unnecessary and rude?

If that is the case I, and everyone else on here, may as well just stop posting on INGO.

I could have gone into detail as to why I was disappointed in my Colt XSE and why I ultimately sold it. The guy I sold it to is a gunsmith apprentice and wanted a fixer up pistol. I will leave it at that.

OP, may your luck with Colt products be better than mine was.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Congrats on the find! The XSE is a very nice 1911, I had one in stainless a few years back and it was an outstanding pistol. I regret getting rid of it every day.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Two years ago I purchased a set of M1 Garands from the CMP. After having them form a while I wanted a 1911 to "complete the set", some may say. I wanted a Government Model made in the USA that represented what was issued to our troops. While the government issue 1911 is a good looking gun, I wanted a sightly modernized version. I looked at a lot of makers Springfield, Les Bear, Wilson Combat, Kimber, etc... but only one made sense for what I was looking for. John Browning and Colt were the original designers and manufacturers of the 1911. It seemed only right to buy a Colt.

The Colt model I chose was one of the XSE series, particularly model O1980XSE. The XSE is a government model Series 80 made from all forged steel with Novak sights, enhanced (skeleton) hammer, and 3 hole aluminum trigger. The sights, hammer and trigger are what differentiate it from a typical government model 1911.

Colt 1911s are a hot commodity and I have been looking over a year for the Colt XSE model I wanted. All the gun shops I've been to either didn't carry Colt or didn't have any in stock. I found a couple Colt XSEs at the Indy 1500 but never the model I wanted. Finally today when I went in to my local barber shop / gun store I found what I had been looking for, and I couldn't be happier. :)

She's purteeeee! Congrats on a great gun!

Top Bottom