• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KahrFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Speedway
    Hey guys. I have experienced this before, and haven't shot with much frequency in the past. *I'm left handed* My left hand starts to shake after about 50-60 rounds. I shoot a CW45. I can switch to right handed, and I'm not shaking. Someone recommended I hold five lb weights out(like I would my pistol) to help with muscle memory. Anyone else experience this, or have any more advice?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    I had this experience the first time I shot a 45. I guess I was expecting a lot of kick out of the gun so I gripped with a "death grip". Make sure that you are holding your gun correctly and relax. This may help. I haven't had the problem since then. Hope this helps.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have always had this problem, since I sustained a back injury when I was young. I just have to really focus and take time to breath and relax when I'm shooting or it gets pretty bad, to the point where you can literally see my hand shaking with the gun.

KahrFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Speedway
    I've had this problem with a 40 and 9 as well. I always breathe, maintain a loose grip, and let my support hand bring the gun into my dominate hand. I'll update after a couple of weeks/month of arm exercises. The gun really is great to shoot. I'd have probably gone through 200 rounds, but it was getting dark.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I had that problem several years ago that was caused by medication. I had to learn to time my shots to go off between shakes. I got over it after a while but my scores suffered until I became acclimated to the meds.
    Mike

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I am not a doctor.

Does anyone else in your family have "the shakes"? This could be what is refered to as "essential tremor". Basicly in certain gravity resisting positions the muscles fire (tremble or shake). In more pronounced ET cases it can be mistaken for parkinsons.

Not saying that's the case here. And some weight lifting can help but not completely eliminate shaking if it is indeed ET. You can google ET and see if common symptoms are what you are experiencing and can investigate further or just dismiss it. Hope that helped.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    You might be holding to tight of a grip on your gun and after a time you get shaky, correct grip is you want to squeeze the gun until it shakes and then let off on the grip until it stops, that will be the correct pressure you want for your grip.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    DRY FIRE DRY FIRE DRY FIRE.... and use the exact same grip as you use when you shoot.... do this once a night 50 times, for a month, and call me in the morning.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Along with dry fire(lots of dry fire) and just a little exercise, do you drink caffine? Or smoke? Both of these can make you shakier than you'd think. Or, if you're addicted, not doing these types of things can make you shakey.

KahrFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Speedway
    Thanks guys. I do dip, and continue to do so when I shoot. I drink lots of sweet tea. I even had my mug with me on the line :) The shakes set in whether I'm using my support hand to keep the gun in my dominate hand, or single handed. They develop after I've shot about 50-75 rounds. I looked up essential tremor, and pray I don't have or develop it. I'm going to give the weights and dry-firing a solid try.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I am not a doctor.

Does anyone else in your family have "the shakes"? This could be what is refered to as "essential tremor". Basicly in certain gravity resisting positions the muscles fire (tremble or shake). In more pronounced ET cases it can be mistaken for parkinsons.

Not saying that's the case here. And some weight lifting can help but not completely eliminate shaking if it is indeed ET. You can google ET and see if common symptoms are what you are experiencing and can investigate further or just dismiss it. Hope that helped.
    I have been diagnosed with Essential Tremor. It means that the shakes can't be associated with some other condition.For me, it also includes any pinch grip, like pistol gripping, and trigger pulling. I hate it. Getting plenty of sleep really helps. Haven't tried the weight thing. People with this condition seem to find ways to compensate and deal with it. Sure would make accurate target shooting easier if I didn't have it. Probably won't win any shooting contests, but I can still do okay.(I compensate pretty good!);)

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Got pretty shaky today after 300 rounds or so, the longer I held the shakier I got. If I just put the sights on the target and squeezed it off pretty quick I did better. But I'm old! :)::ar15:

Top Bottom