• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The kid brother lives out in the wild and they are shooting all the time. I go to see said brother and sure enough he and a couple of guys are shooting at a 2 liter soda bottle. These guys are all substantially younger than me and here I am tottering around with a stick to keep me from falling down, barely able to stand and two weeks out of cancer surgery.

These children (mid 40s) are shooting all around the jug but nobody is shooting ON the jug. I say "Ah-ha, what a bunch of tenderfoots! is anybody aiming at that or are you all just popping caps into the air? Of course this gets things going.

One guy I don't know says "At least we have guns, old man! What are YOU going to do, Knock the bottle down with your cane?" My kid brother spouts out (in spite of me waving him off) that he bets $100 that I DO have a gun. Here I am in sweat pants and a tee shirt. In order to keep my sweat pants ON I am therefore carrying my little 1968 model Rohm derringer, and am ashamed to produce it.

After maybe 5 minutes of haranguing and harassment I go ahead an pull out my little derringer. "AAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!" Everybody is falling all around the place laughing, telling my brother " I though you said he had a GUN!" And "Have gun, will travel! He's Paladin" and NO! He's James West" and "Go ahead POPS..... Shoot at the bottle!".

I am thinking, "Damn! Now I'm in a spot". I'm thinking that I got about an inch of barrel past the .38 special bullet......... And the pop bottle is about 50 feet away....... $#!+....... They're hollering " Come on pops! Show us what you got! What, is that a .22? you better get closer!"

Here goes..... I reach out, derringer at arms length. I take a perfect sight picture...... Exhale a bit, RAISE THE GUN UP ABOUT 15 DEGREES (one inch of rifling, 50 foot range, I don't want it to drop to the ground 10 feet before the target) and squeezed the trigger.

BAM!, what a loud shot. I forgot how loud that short .38 was. Everybody was expecting a .22, they all stopped and stared. THE COKE WAS DOWN AND SPRAYING ALL OVER THE PLACE! Nobody was as surprised as me, but I never showed it. "You gotta be kidding me!" and "No friggin way" was said and eyes were big and round.

"Holy crap, you can't do it again!" a guy said. I answered "I just put your Berettas and Glocks into the dirt with a $15 gun........ Why do I need to do it AGAIN?" There was no way I was going to fire that second bullet and expose myself as a fraud. I told the kids that an old guy knows to retire while he is on top. I went on home.

My brother called me late that night telling me that his friends couldn't stop marveling and talking about it. Everyone saw that I had raised the barrel and lobbed the bullet in like a mortar round. My brother told them that I was just that good. Thankfully he never asked me if it was just a fluke, He just let it ride.

I am thinking that now I may have to never shoot again. It's all down hill now.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That's awesome. You were kind of lucky, but you also kind of had perfect sight picture and trigger control. It is good you showed those whelps up. They need something to aspire to.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Great story. Thanks.

I think most of us who've been shooting for several years have developed the mindset to always stop after making a "hail Mary" type of shot. Why prove it was an fluke? You did well. :)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Great story. Way to show them whippersnappers how it's done.:yesway:

Not to one up ya, your shot was awesome. And I assume you are a mortal, unlike these two;)...

[video=youtube;Tied-t1fFsk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk[/video]

RIP Mr. Munden. Technically, I guess he was mortal.:(

Of course Jerry is the ultimate one upper...

[video=youtube;HIwVK_FxGZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwVK_FxGZk[/video]

But this is just showing off, even with a 929...

[video=youtube;jJ3XwizTqDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw[/video]

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    ha, great story!!
    Thanks for sharing, hope you're doing well.

There's something truly satisfying when good skill+basic equipment beats fancy equipment+little skill. (perhaps a David and Goliath thing...)

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Great story. Sometimes a little luck never hurts.
    It makes remember a few years back i was out sbooting with family. Mostly just shooting trash like cans and bottles. My brother in law gets an idea. He takes an empty can of peas sets it up at about 20 - 25 feet. The can still has the lid attached to it sticking straight up. He turns it sideways so the edge is facing us. Walks back to me and says the first one to hit it wins. Well i take aim and fire a round from my taurus pt92 9mm and hit the edge of the lid on the first shot. BIL is speechless. He spent the rest of the afternoon dumbfounded. He set it up again and sent no less than 3 full mavs trying to hit it. He never did. When i was about to head home he complimented me again on my great aim. To which i stated " dont congratulate me, i couldn't even see the f***ing lid." Good times.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I had something slightly similar (not quite as cool, but hey, give me a little moment of glory) when I was still in the Navy when one of the guys in my division and I went to the local gun shop/shooting range for some fun.
    He had made up a simple photocoped bunch of hand drawn targets of an that were an arch and a frowny face to represent crude silhouettes to take with us.
    He was shooting his Ruger Super Blackhawk, and I was in the lane right next to him shooting my .45 Colt standard Blackhawk with ordinary Remington 255 grain lead round nose factory ammo.
    At one point, I managed to shoot out the left eye of my target perfectly centered, and he smiled over at me, saying "Betcha can't do the same for the right eye."
    I raised the Blackhawk, put the right eye on top of the front sight, then squeezed, duplicating what I had just done with the left eye, and with the first try.
    I admitted that it was probably two-to-1 luck/skill ratio, but his big amused laugh and grin sure felt good.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Fluke or not you made the shot. As for not shooting, you just might not want to shoot a derringer with the same folks again...and be careful they don't start setting you up as a bar trick for money.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom