• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So there's an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer gets a Canadian shower head without a flow restrictor. And there are tons of "how-tos" on the Internet guiding you through removing them from whatever type of shower head you use.

[video=youtube;vMITcQUe-9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMITcQUe-9M[/video]

Anyone done it? Is it worth it? My shower head is getting old and starting to suck a little bit, I was thinking about either giving it a try or buying a model I can modify.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Pull your old one off and soak it in vinegar when you leave in the morning. Rinse it thoroughly when you get home and reinstall. If your concern is just that it sucks a little it's probably starting to plug with calcium. My house is about 20 years old and has a low flow shower but the restriction typically takes place in the valves not the head. If you have an older house with old hardware that may not be the case. Typically though it isn't strictly the shower heads fault. All of these heads they sell nowadays that are "guaranteed" to improve your shower pressure are actually just using smaller holes to increase the velocity. Be careful though, you wouldn't want a water "Laser" installed in the shower!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yes, its just a little piece of plastic. You may have to shop for a head with an easily removable restrictor.

Mine looks like this but I do not recall the brand. I really like it, nice steady stream with the restrictor removed.

4011097553962.jpg

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Pull your old one off and soak it in vinegar when you leave in the morning. Rinse it thoroughly when you get home and reinstall. If your concern is just that it sucks a little it's probably starting to plug with calcium. My house is about 20 years old and has a low flow shower but the restriction typically takes place in the valves not the head. If you have an older house with old hardware that may not be the case. Typically though it isn't strictly the shower heads fault. All of these heads they sell nowadays that are "guaranteed" to improve your shower pressure are actually just using smaller holes to increase the velocity. Be careful though, you wouldn't want a water "Laser" installed in the shower!

Have done that, actually. Plus the internals are big enough that whenever one jet stops working I can play around with it and pop out the little kernel of calcium. Don't judge me, it's strangely fun.

This shower was added so I'm not sure if they used reduction valves or not. They pulled out the original tub from 1985 and extended the same lines with Pex.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Thank you. I started to go there but decided to let someone else carry the flag on this one.:rockwoot:

I scaled it back. Was tough when op said his head sucks and he was thinking of a new model. Can only swing at so many softballs in one post.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    You guys may want to reconsider the fixed mounted ones. I tried that once and the wife got pissed! She says it has to have a removable wand and hose? She was very irritable until I swapped it out but once I swapped it out she was back to normal.:dunno::laugh:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You guys may want to reconsider the fixed mounted ones. I tried that once and the wife got pissed! She says it has to have a removable wand and hose? She was very irritable until I swapped it out but once I swapped it out she was back to normal.:dunno::laugh:

I keep my wife satisfied without a handheld device.:p

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I've got a splitter behind my shower head. I can run the mounted head, the handheld or both. The kids do better with the handheld. It's also better when giving the dog a bath.

430024c1-3d5c-4099-ad3d-39f4e328a69d_400.jpg

Top Bottom