• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Full size, compact or sub compact. As long as it's reliable and you can make accurate hits with it, that's all that matters. The big thing is that it has to be reliable. Which means no 1911's. :D

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Although I carry a full-sized handgun whenever I can, I still carry a small LCP when I need maximum concealment or when I want to carry a backup. The trick to carrying any firearm is to be proficient with whatever you carry, and no matter the size. If you can't accurately shoot it, then don't carry it... simple.

15-yards with my full-sized M&P40:

10-yards with my Ruger LCP:

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    The trend seems to be ever smaller, harder to shoot handguns. How many people still prefer to carry a full size? I myself carry a Beretta 92fs.

I say carry what ever you feel comfortable with whether it be a full size, compact or subcompact. I have a P229C, P239, and Kahr PM9 in my carry rotation depending on the situation or what I'm wearing. I have to admit the PM9 gets used the most in warm weather, it can disappear even when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. In cooler weather the P239 or P229c get more use when they can be concealed with the help of a sweatshirt or jacket.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been carrying my Shield but recently bought a Tucker holster for my 586 and was surprised at how well it fit and how close it hugged my side.

So now I am thinking since I shoot my 1911 9mm better than anything else I own, I may get a Tucker holster for it and start carrying it. I bet it would sit even closer to me than the revolver.

I carry OWB. IWB just didn't work for me.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Here's the problem, I carry where it is prohibited. I cannot afford to be "made", but I have successfully carried for more than 40 some years.
    I have to depend on close range, 7 yards or so or cover if possible and accurate shooting.
    I would love to carry many of my other fine handguns but just cannot chance it.
    So what's a person to do?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I am not really large enough to carry full-size concealed without scaring the sheeple (at home and church), so it is mostly a Kahr CW9 with extra mag IWB. It is just big enough for my hands to shoot comfortably. OC is always a Ruger P-series, usually a P93 or 94.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Here's the problem, I carry where it is prohibited. I cannot afford to be "made", but I have successfully carried for more than 40 some years.
    I have to depend on close range, 7 yards or so or cover if possible and accurate shooting.
    I would love to carry many of my other fine handguns but just cannot chance it.
    So what's a person to do?

Stick with what works. You have been carrying for 40 years with I am assuming no need to employ your firearm yet. I would rather carry something that doesn't get me "made" than not carry due to concerns over being made or actually being made.

But that's me. I am not interested in the general public knowing that I am carrying a gun.

If I can't carry my 1911 discreetly enough, I will stick with my Shield.

Johnny0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2017
    NWI
    I can't carry a 1911 anymore due to my bad back. I've down sized some but I can't make the jump to a subcompact. Maybe when I can't tolerate carrying something a little more substantial I consider it.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    The trend seems to be ever smaller, harder to shoot handguns. How many people still prefer to carry a full size? I myself carry a Beretta 92fs.

My compliments on a very fine carry piece! However I typically carry a more "medium" size like my G19, or lately more likely my Sig P320 9mm. Have a few subcompacts as well...but prefer to only carry those when I am wearing the bare minimum in summer attire.

Last edited:

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I took defensive concepts 1 with Coach and BBI Saturday. It looked like half the class carried single stack guns. I was surprised, but know the trend for firearms purchases is towards single stack carry guns. I shot no better than the people with single stack guns with my full size m&p. When I got home from the class I talked to my wife about getting her a m&p shield.

I was there with my 3.3" XDS in 9mm. Biggest thing about carrying a small gun, is making sure I run the extended magazines. Big difference in my grip on the gun with the 7rd magazine, versus the 9rd magazine. The first shot from concealment is always fine, but the follow up shots suffer dramatically with the reduced grip when using the 7rd magazines.

This was the first time I trained with the XDS, I do shoot it quite a bit at the range to stay proficient, but it was nice to run it through some drills.

Biggest thing for me would be actually using the gun in a defensive situation. At up to about 7yards, I'm fine with the XDS. At about 10 yards I'd question it. Anything further than that and I'm not using it. With my full size 4.5" XDM, I'd feel fine engaging much further.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I agree with Gregg, stick with what works.
    It seems like if you could lose your job if a firearm is discovered on you then you would want to just stick with what has been working, then after work is over switch to carrying something else. The main thing is that your CC is dependable and you are comfortable with it and can use it accurately.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was there with my 3.3" XDS in 9mm. Biggest thing about carrying a small gun, is making sure I run the extended magazines. Big difference in my grip on the gun with the 7rd magazine, versus the 9rd magazine. The first shot from concealment is always fine, but the follow up shots suffer dramatically with the reduced grip when using the 7rd magazines.

This was the first time I trained with the XDS, I do shoot it quite a bit at the range to stay proficient, but it was nice to run it through some drills.

Biggest thing for me would be actually using the gun in a defensive situation. At up to about 7yards, I'm fine with the XDS. At about 10 yards I'd question it. Anything further than that and I'm not using it. With my full size 4.5" XDM, I'd feel fine engaging much further.

With the smaller gun, you have to give it more time between shots. As you say, the grip isn't the same. There's nothing inherently less accurate, it's just tougher to control recoil, there is more movement from recoil due to the lighter weight, and that leads to needing to take more time. Focus on the front sight and you'll still get good hits...just not as quickly.

I run my LCR as accurately as my P226...but not nearly as quickly. And it can take time to get used to that pace.

Top Bottom