• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to look into some different sights. For some reason, I'm drawn to the ones (TFX Tru-glo ?) with a fiber optic front sight.

Check out the sights that come on the P226 Tac Ops. I don't know if they are available without the gun under them, but they're really nice if you like the combination of the fiber optic and tritium in the front.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Woooo ..... those look like the winner ! Thanks, rhino & BBI. :yesway:

NP. I like them, but understand there is a trade off. The fiber optic is shielded quite a bit, which makes the design robust but also means it's not as bright as more open FO sights. The tritium works well for night. You will find a certain twilight-ish lighting condition that is not quite bright enough for the FO to light up and not quite dark enough for the tritium to be bright. Then you still have a dull green dot.

The differences are minor, but I do find the Trijicon HDs (high viz non-FO) or similar sights as well as open design FO sights (say, Dawson Precision) to be easier to track under recoil and maaaaybe a touch faster to acquire. I find the FTO to be slightly easier for precision shots and value it's robustness for a carry pistol. So...yeah, trade offs. Minor, really, but worth the mention.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Here are my little beauties. The SP2022 on top was my first, and I liked it so well I broke down and bought the P229 SAS Gen 2 last week. Now I'm trying to come up with an excuse my wife will believe to get a P220R.
    These things are more addictive than Lay's!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Someone else is hooked!

In other news, I'm getting better at firing the first, double action shot accurately with minimal delay compared to single action shots.

I've also found that my ability to shoot accurately at a reasonable pace with less effort depends on which gun:

P226 Legion SAO > P226 Legion with standard short reach trigger > P226 Tac Ops with E2 grip

It's obvious (to me) why it's easiest to shoot the SAO, but I should see less difference between the SA/DA Legion and the Tac Ops.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Someone else is hooked!

In other news, I'm getting better at firing the first, double action shot accurately with minimal delay compared to single action shots.

Practice and dry fire. I do a lot of press outs on ranges that don't allow drawing from the holster and during dry fire. Press out, fire once. Decock, return. Press out, fire twice, decock, return. Repeat. Works on sight acquisition, DA shot, and the transition. You'll get to the point you don't even notice the transition to SA and just run the trigger.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Practice and dry fire. I do a lot of press outs on ranges that don't allow drawing from the holster and during dry fire. Press out, fire once. Decock, return. Press out, fire twice, decock, return. Repeat. Works on sight acquisition, DA shot, and the transition. You'll get to the point you don't even notice the transition to SA and just run the trigger.

That is exactly how I am improving.

Curiously I don't have any issues with the transition from the DA to the SA afterward. I find that interesting because when people discuss training people to shoot DA/SA guns, many place a lot of emphasis on that transition as a potential issue. It's just the extra time and effort it takes to prep the trigger for the first DA shot. After I fire that shot, I'm on autopilot until I'm ready to do something else like reload or reload, decock, and holster.

I can, however, shoot better groups with the SAO gun. The trigger is easier for me to manipulate without disturbing the alignment of the gun than with the other two guns.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    NP. I like them, but understand there is a trade off. The fiber optic is shielded quite a bit, which makes the design robust but also means it's not as bright as more open FO sights. The tritium works well for night. You will find a certain twilight-ish lighting condition that is not quite bright enough for the FO to light up and not quite dark enough for the tritium to be bright. Then you still have a dull green dot.

The differences are minor, but I do find the Trijicon HDs (high viz non-FO) or similar sights as well as open design FO sights (say, Dawson Precision) to be easier to track under recoil and maaaaybe a touch faster to acquire. I find the FTO to be slightly easier for precision shots and value it's robustness for a carry pistol. So...yeah, trade offs. Minor, really, but worth the mention.

Aha ! ..... thanks for the additonal information, and I understand what you mean. Still, since I plan on carrying this firearm (probably inside-the-waistband holster), the idea of a more shielded and robust FO portion is even more appealing. The decision has been made. I'm pushing the 'buy' button, and hope that USDS will continue to be helpful to me, and I can pay them for the install. Thanks, BBI !

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Very nice all, just catching up on today since I left my tablet at home. Now Point Blank is open nearby I argue with myself to actually go less. I'd love to go over every weekend, but ammo adds up quickly. I always bring out a Sig, and almost always my Kimber too. Nothing like shooting guns that are smooth as silk.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Very nice all, just catching up on today since I left my tablet at home. Now Point Blank is open nearby I argue with myself to actually go less. I'd love to go over every weekend, but ammo adds up quickly. I always bring out a Sig, and almost always my Kimber too. Nothing like shooting guns that are smooth as silk.

What's been saving me lately is taking a .22 along as well. I take a set amount of 9mm ammo to shoot and when it's gone, the rest of my range time is spent shooting my .22. Not as much fun, but works pretty well. Enough that I shoot every weekend ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What's been saving me lately is taking a .22 along as well. I take a set amount of 9mm ammo to shoot and when it's gone, the rest of my range time is spent shooting my .22. Not as much fun, but works pretty well. Enough that I shoot every weekend ;)
    I think shooting a .22 is under rated.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Those actually *are* Truglo sights BTW... SIG sells them, but they are Truglo.

The front sight is a standard TFO made by Truglo. Rear is a Siglite, which I *think* is made by Meprolight now but I wouldn't swear to it. I'm also not sure if you can buy just the front from Truglo like you can through Sig.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The front sight is a standard TFO made by Truglo. Rear is a Siglite, which I *think* is made by Meprolight now but I wouldn't swear to it. I'm also not sure if you can buy just the front from Truglo like you can through Sig.

Yes, you can buy just the front sight from Truglo. I got a 6F/8R set and I needed the 8F. Called them and got it. It is actually on their web site, but you *really* need to dig to find it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Wow, I just got an e-mail from Sig that they will be sending out shipping labels for the voluntary upgrade of Sig P320 triggers this month and next. That is much faster than I anticipated. Since my P320 is my first Sig, I didn't know how they would handle this and in what time frame. So far, so good.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Wow, I just got an e-mail from Sig that they will be sending out shipping labels for the voluntary upgrade of Sig P320 triggers this month and next. That is much faster than I anticipated. Since my P320 is my first Sig, I didn't know how they would handle this and in what time frame. So far, so good.
    I'd used Sigs for sometime before dealing with Customer Service, and theirs is really great. They walked me through what I had to do, as I had never shipped a pistol before. It was nice, because I really didn't want to screw it up.
    Also, mine was completed earlier than expected, but that was before all this. Hopefully yours won't be too long

Top Bottom