• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The not-so-smart gun | The Bang Switch

The gun-grabbers are at it again. They want to force "smart guns" on us under the pretense that they'll reduce crime and increase public safety. What they're really trying to do is force gun makers out of business and to make new firearms unattractive to gun buyers -- a backdoor gun ban.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Well written, I would expect nothing less. It just goes to show, they (gun grabbers) will never stop coming up with ways in which to try to ban/regulate guns, and gun ownership.

It's too bad our country has come to this, we sure have strayed from what our Founding Fathers envisioned. All we can do is keep fighting the good fight, to protect our rights and our Country.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    The sort of backwards thing about this issue is that if there truly was a reliable "smart gun" the gun guys would be all over it. We always love new tech, but it has to WORK.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    There was a video posted of that "smart gun."

You not only had to have a watch to actuate the gun, you had to arm the watch with several button presses, and it's arming was for a period of time. You'd be screwed if you expected it to be your nightstand gun.

Besides, it is a .22 and costs, with the watch, 6x what you would pay for a comparable .22 pistol.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Good article. I liked the history of other failed supposedly-safety-enhancing technologies as well.

Every time talk of some "feature" that might be legislated into firearm design comes around (with a hefty price increase to be passed on to consumers), it just reeks of class discrimination. Making firearms a privilege for the wealthy and elite.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Good article. I liked the history of other failed supposedly-safety-enhancing technologies as well.

Every time talk of some "feature" that might be legislated into firearm design comes around (with a hefty price increase to be passed on to consumers), it just reeks of class discrimination. Making firearms a privilege for the wealthy and elite.

Remember that was the entire purpose behind the legislation that put many of the "Saturday Night Special" gun makers out of business. Indeed it was discriminatory in that it raised the bar for manufacturer and as a result, raised the prices for guns. It also added special qualifications to imported handguns so as to prevent these "dangerous" weapons from being imported.

The stated purpose was safety but the real intent was to take these low-cost guns OFF the market.

This is just a high-tech version of this nonsense. In my opinion only a fool (or a liberal) would buy such a handgun. So the only way these things will sell is if there is no other option. That, of course, is the intent.

So here's the question in my mind. What's to stop the government (say the NSA) from forcing/bribing/coercing manufacturers to make a "back door" deactivation feature in these? So in any potential situation where a government official might be endangered (or even inconvenienced) they could just blanket the neighborhood with the "kill" signal and they know that all the guns are "safe".

No, they would NEVER do that here in the USA would they?

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Thanks for sharing MAC.... This is something that, like what many others have stated, is a horrible idea (Regarding both reliability/safety and our rights) and will led to indirect gun bans if people like Sen. Markey get their way..... Lets make sure this becomes a novelty like all the "smart guns" of the past.

On a lighter note, anyone else think of something else when you read the title??? Mandatory "Smart Guns" sound awesome if they mean this.... Tell me I am not the only one?!?!?!

M56_Smartgun.png

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have no interest in betting my life on a "smart" gun. Dumb guns have enough malfunctions as it is. All this other crap will only reduce the mean time between failures...yeah, let the police guarding politicians carry them.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The sort of backwards thing about this issue is that if there truly was a reliable "smart gun" the gun guys would be all over it. We always love new tech, but it has to WORK.

No, tech is stupid when it comes to firearms. Take a firearms training class.

As for me, I will boycott any gun store that would sell such a thing to someone. If they're in the business of getting their customers killed, I don't want to buy from them for obvious reasons.

But it would be excellent for police and may encourage them to use other means of defense first.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm a tech nerd from way back, but I don't want batteries involved with my firearms in any way unless absolutely necessary, like with night vision, and then I want something that'll take a AA or C or some such. I don't even want them in my sighting system; got an Eotech with fiber and tritium so no battery. Heck, I won't buy a safe with an electronic lock.

There's a battery on both ends of this, I don't trust the RFID receiver to survive recoil, and "unlocking" my firearm would put me at a distinct disadvantage to the thug with an old dumb gun. What if I have to switch to my off hand? Is the range sufficient?

I reckon it probably has that bogus printing thing on it, too. As hard as it would be to get that to work right, it would be trivial to defeat it.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The gov can hack your computer, smartphone and car, likely they would be able to disable your smart gun from a distance. Stupid idea anyway.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Evidently the smart gun has a conscious but there's no such thing as a smart gun, only smart people who don't do dumb :poop: with firearms.

Top Bottom