• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Let me start off by saying, I'm not a bullet counting kind of guy. I don't keep track of every round out of my guns. Life's too short and I shoot a lot. I store my ammo in 30 cal cans and get 1K 40 S&W and 1200 9mm per can. It's not unusual to shoot a can in a week or even over a weekend. Weather permitting, Sundays are a major range day involving 6-10 hours of shooting and grilling with family and friends. Call my house and say, "Can we come over and shoot?" and my reply will be, "When are you gettin' here?".

In September of 2011 I decided on a M&P 40c. It fit my hand better than anything else I picked up. Actually it fits perfectly becoming an extention of my hand. I was set to buy a 9mm because I have tons of them and I wouldn't have to sort brass when shooting the subgun or others are over. Most primarily shoot 9mm. Then I found out about the 40 > 9mm barrel swap. That settled it. Now I could have a more adaquate EDC caliber and still be able to shoot 9mm as well for next to nothing in added investment.

Move forward a couple of years. I started having issues with FTF. The standard problem is the striker assembly. Not wanting to be without my EDC I decided to replace it myself and not send it in. Unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. So off it went. After not hearing back for 3 weeks I called and they said it went to the custom shop for non-warranty repair as I had an Apex trigger installed and I wouldn't be seeing it for 9 months. I told them I was informed it would be repaired under waranty even though it had the Apex. The gentleman appologized for the mistake and sent it back so I could change the trigger back and resend it for repair.

When I received it I decided to shoot it for the day. (I missed it what can I say) Then swap triggers and send it back. It worked flawlessly. I called them and they said they had no idea why as the work order said it had only been inspected but it was possible something else had been done and wasn't noted by mistake. So I went out to the range and shot 5-600 rounds through it to make sure everything was good. It worked flawlessly. So back on the hip it went.

Move forward three months and a couple thousand rounds later. (winter sucks) Problem starts up again. Facing sending it back and having to carry something less than what I feel adaquate for an EDC I went on the hunt fast & furious style. A Shield was quickly dismissed as I couldn't get a FSS for it and quite honestly there's not enough size difference in my mind as to warrant the loss of capacity. No revolvers. 1911s just didn't fit the bill for what I was looking for either. Although a couple of them almost made me change my mind. So then I looked at possibly the FS or 5" M&Ps. Not bad but in reality the FS is only .75" longer and the 5" is quite a price jump. I also had to take into consideration the additional support gear as well. Two weeks later my head was spinning and I was still no closer to a solution. So I asked the wife for some help laying out the options as well as the arguments pro & con for each. She hit me with the one option I had dismissed early on. Buy another 40c. Then made the case for me. I wouldn't need any new gear, I already knew I loved the gun, I would be using a range gun that would be identical to my EDC, if I wanted I could set one up with the 9mm barrel and leave it that way for the weekend while shooting with others, it wouldn't matter. Most importantly, I wouldn't be tempted to EDC a dirty gun or one with a high round count. It made perfect sense. Midwest was having a S&W sale, so off we go.

Now back to the worn out M&P.

After getting the new 40c I decided to have a bit of fun and see if I could figure out the issue again. So I switched the barrel, slide, return spring and every combination there of on to the old frame. The old parts just wouldn't run 100%. Then I put the old upper on the new lower half and you could actually feel and see the slide move way too slowly as you shot. I've never in 40+ yrs of shooting saw that happen. Then I went to lock it back to tear it down and you could barely force it back hard enough to lock the slide. Not good. So time to send it back.

I get a hold of S&W and as I'm explaining what's going on I happened to mention the fact I had bought a new 40c and what we had done. The guy asks me if the old lower half worked 100% with the new upper half. Along with some questions of how well they fit. Then had me send the new lower with the old upper so I wouldn't have to swap triggers. Sweet. Yesterday (2 1/2 weeks later) I get my gun back with a whole new upper. They did ask me just for their information how many rounds were through the gun. I told him 5-7K but possibly as much as 10k. I thought this was going to bite me in the **s but it didn't. They repaired it at no cost. Now I just have to run a few hundred rounds through it to break it in and it's good to go. I will no longer be making a habit of using my EDC as a range gun. It will still see range time, don't get me wrong. Just not the use the other one gets. So +1 to S&W for a great product and standing behind their products.

Now if they would just make an M&P 45 that I could swap with 10mm, 357 sig, 40 S&W and 9mm barrels. Throw in a 22lr upper that would go on it as well. I would buy 2 new guns again in a heart beat!!! :)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Glad to hear their customer service is still top notch.

Wish I had that much time to wear out a gun.

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I ditto what they said, glad they took care of it for you.

Also, I with I had the time/money to shoot that much.

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    My current carry is a Glock 19. I've thought about maybe purchasing a M&P but a guy once told me that S&W has recently been using cheaper components in their pistols. I'm sorry you had issues but I'm glad to hear it was easily resolved.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    My current carry is a Glock 19. I've thought about maybe purchasing a M&P but a guy once told me that S&W has recently been using cheaper components in their pistols. I'm sorry you had issues but I'm glad to hear it was easily resolved.

I'd love to see that claim substantiated in some way. My M&P is fairly recent and holds up just fine to whatever I throw through it

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    I'd love to see that claim substantiated in some way. My M&P is fairly recent and holds up just fine to whatever I throw through it

I'm not saying he's right. It was an older gentleman at the LGS I was talking to him about carry pistols for a while. I told him I wanted a US made pistol without a manual safety. I said that the M&P was high on my list because of price point and ergonomics. I liked the way the grip was almost soft in the hand. He told me that recently Smith and Wesson was cutting corners on the internals. I took it with a grain of salt.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    LOL. I've also been told that if I get a polymer pistol I'm taking my life in my own hands.

I'd much rather keep my life in my own hands as opposed to placing it into the hands of someone else. :) As others have said, I wish I had the ability to shoot as much as you do. I'm lucky if I can do a hundred rounds a week. Most often, it's only 50 rounds. That might change if I did not have to drive to a range though. I think I'd drive myself broke if I had the ability to shoot on my own property. It's pretty cool to be able to shoot enough to wear a pistol out.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    10k rounds should not wear out any modern pistol. I've gone longer than that between cleanings. Hopefully it was just a fluke and your replacement lasts much longer. I "wore out" one gun... a beretta 92... The barrel lugs cracked somewhere in the 120k ballpark which resulted in frame rail cracks...

-rvb

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    10k rounds should not wear out any modern pistol. I've gone longer than that between cleanings. Hopefully it was just a fluke and your replacement lasts much longer. I "wore out" one gun... a beretta 92... The barrel lugs cracked somewhere in the 120k ballpark which resulted in frame rail cracks...

-rvb
    thats pretty impressive that a gun can take that.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I agree that it seems a bit too soon to have worn anything out. I can only go with what it appears to have happened. I have a LLama Especial 380 that has well over 100K through it that I know of and it wasn't new when I got it. It's still going strong. All metal gun though. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this one holds up now. Only time will tell.

And yes, having a range at home is really great. The 100 yrd mark is under a nice shade tree. So when it gets too hot on the pistol range we move back to the rifle range and sit in the shade while we shoot.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute

-rvb

this. any pistol that is worn out at <= 10k rounds is suspect. I suspect you had either substandard parts or the tolerance stack went the wrong way for your pistol. the m&p is a great pistol.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

-rvb

Another +1 to this

Something had to be out of spec

Top Bottom