Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Thanks Mark

I'm pretty proud of him. It sounds like he will be in Serbia for at least another year now that he has had his residency visa approved.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have been a bad mom and have not been doing my updates. I don't know how to share this video other than thru facebook as I don't see that it is on You Tube or another site...so for those of you who do facebook, you can check out the interview he did with the local news media to promote the project they were working on.

https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyBrooksArt/videos/2157912520963510/

He has also been getting back into the habit of posting a daily sketch. He likes to sketch to document the things he sees and where he goes. Note that the sketchbook apparently went through the washer with his clothes at some point so he has been trying to utilize the color that had bled onto the pages in his work. LOL Artistic creativity.

He posts the sketches with a bit of a description of what he is doing or why he chose to draw those subjects on his FB page but I'm not sure if you want to read all of that so I will share some of the sketches and include the text with the most recent posts.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The text is his wording from his FB post.

Sometimes I think architecture can be more expressive than organic beings. Somehow an old house or apartment building acquires a mixture of characteristics from its inhabitants over time and I find it fascinating. This particular building is from a place I stayed in Belgrade around a month ago. All of the floors had something different about them, and though I know many people think it looks ugly, I found it charming. As if it were actually trying to tell its story visually. Anyway, I thought it was a nice change from all of the figures I've been drawing lately

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    A good friend of mine started a project with some friends of his in Turin, Italy and asked me to do some of my illustrations for a series of limited edition shirts. Turin (Torino) in Italian comes from Toro, meaning bull, and they gave me a description of how they'd like it to look. I'm happy that I got the chance to draw something in my style for both their brand and the city itself, and will be working on more illustrations soon!
    The name of their brand is Turin Drugstore, and I'll be doing another post in the near future (when they make an Instagram page) giving some more details and a link to their page. So stay tuned

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    For as long as I can remember, I've enjoyed drawing portraits of people. Not necessarily the traditionally forward-facing portrait, but one using the loosest meaning of the word. Last year, I painted my first anthropomorphic work and I haven't really looked back since. It stemmed because I really wanted to paint the dog, Klaus, but reeeally didn't want to just paint a dog on the wall. So I found a pose that I felt really represented his true nature, made a setting and color palette to match it, and the rest is history.
    I know many people do work with animal heads on human bodies, and though I don't know what their intentions with this are, here's mine:
    When I paint a particular person in a pose, I'm limiting the relatability of the audience. Whether it's the hair, eye, or skin color, someone is going to form more of a connection with a human portrait. It's the reason why I painted the girl in my one Istanbul mural without a head. Alternatively, I can (and do) replace that head with an animal that best fits the human being painted. This way, I can still depict the emotion and personality that I want, and it's left open for everyone else. Everyone will have their own thoughts on a dog, moose, fox, or goat, and it creates a whole new collection of responses to the subject matter beyond what I initially planned. New stories and interpretations

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The paintings are done on recycled wood. He has also started building some furniture, but I haven't seen any pictures of that yet. He's keeping busy! He has his Serbian residency visa now so he can stay there for at least another year.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The paintings are done on recycled wood. He has also started building some furniture, but I haven't seen any pictures of that yet. He's keeping busy! He has his Serbian residency visa now so he can stay there for at least another year.

You might have to visit him if you're missing him Mom! Looks like he's not coming back home anytime soon.

Does he speak the local language? Not even sure what they speak over there.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You might have to visit him if you're missing him Mom! Looks like he's not coming back home anytime soon.

Does he speak the local language? Not even sure what they speak over there.

He's been doing Serbian lessons for about two years now so does pretty well with it. I believe being able to speak the language was part of the requirement to get the visa. He also speaks some French and some German...I think that's it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Today's update on Fb:

Sketching people has always been my way of relaxing. For those who have met me, or know me in some way or another, I'm a bit high-strung. Some would even say that's an understatement, and honestly it's a problem that not many things help with.
    Yet, when I grab one of my sketchbooks and a pen, the process of putting the lines down in the thickness and placement that I want calms me down. In school, it (kind of) kept me out of trouble and as an adult, it's been a nice reminder of all of the great moments that I've experienced. Places, people, things, and relationships all recorded on a page to look at later. I take photos all the time, but there's just something more satisfying about spending even a few extra minutes studying the minute details of what's in front of me. Engraining it into my memory. Sure, I miss other moments in the meantime, but that just makes these even more special.
    This particular sketch was from one of these moments in Istanbul. The man was sitting and staring off into space. Calmly and without possibility of being disturbed, there was something stoic about him. So when a woman sat down with about a one-person gap between them and started reading a book, it completed the scene for me. She didn't waste any time and it seemed that she had been looking forward to the chance to dive into the world that the book readily offered. A simple moment, sure, but one that I thought was worth remembering
    1f642.png
    :)
    @ Istanbul, Turkey

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Well dagnabit! He missed a free meal, at a pretty pricey place (I would go there, if it wasn't that I eat for free). Food is very inexpensive, if you buy form local markets, or street vendors. If he heads to Eastern Europe, even the nice sit down places will be Amazingly cheap. I, and my significant other, had a 4 course meal, 2 bottles of wine, w/string quartet playing in Budapest, for about $80. I was like "I'm moving to Hungary!!!"

Ironic, going Hungary for the food.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I haven't updated for a while. Art festivals are starting back up for the summer. This is a larger image of my new avatar...a painting done in Croatia at a festival he was invited to participate in again this year. The painting is 23' x 10'.

AiLvFUr.jpg

M7fRX7L.jpg

A closer view of some of the detail in this one.

BKOe9Fs.jpg

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I haven't updated for a while. Art festivals are starting back up for the summer. This is a larger image of my new avatar...a painting done in Croatia at a festival he was invited to participate in again this year. The painting is 23' x 10'.

AiLvFUr.jpg

M7fRX7L.jpg

A closer view of some of the detail in this one.

BKOe9Fs.jpg
    :wow:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Impressive work Mom!
    Thanks for sharing.

He must be using a big scaffolding for large work like that at that hight.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Impressive work Mom!
    Thanks for sharing.

He must be using a big scaffolding for large work like that at that hight.

He did have it set up at least a couple of sections high. He was posting progress photos on his "story" on Instagram but I don't think he has any of those where I could download them now. He posted a picture a couple hours ago of the start of his next project. It looks quite large as well but maybe not as tall. I couldn't tell since he didn't show anything that would put the height into perspective for me.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The festival organizers posted this to their page....Anthony is a bit over 6' tall so that puts the size of this painting into perspective.

QDbtClf.jpg

Top Bottom