• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Here's something to think about in terms of the language that we use and hear every day. What is the difference between the phrase "the United States is" and "the United States are" (or "these United States are")?

From the research that I've done, it use to be common practice to use the phrase "the United States are". I actually came across a New York Times article from 1895 defending then Secretary of State Olney for his use of the plural form of the phrase. They stated that it was common practice before the civil war to use the plural form, but after some people had started using the singular form.

What form of the phrase do you use, and why? Is it even important?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I see the plural form used in England much more than in the US. "The band are going to play a gig." Personally, pluralizing something that is, as a collection, a singular entity sounds weird to me.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    If you break it down to it's basic level, saying "These United States are" puts an emphasis on individual state governments working together and allied under the fed. Saying "The United States is" puts more emphasis on the sole control of the federal government.

That being said, I've never paid much attention to the verbage until your post.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I really think it depends on context and what the noun is refering too. Specifically are we refering to the collective Country (sometimes call America for short) or are we refering to the individual, yet united States.

Example:

The United States of America is a World Superpower.

The United States of America are represented by an elected Federal Government. (no pun, jest, etc. intended).

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I really think it depends on context and what the noun is refering too. Specifically are we refering to the collective Country (sometimes call America for short) or are we refering to the individual, yet united States.

Example:

The United States of America is a World Superpower.

The United States of America are represented by an elected Federal Government. (no pun, jest, etc. intended).

By George, I think he's got it! ;)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    By George, I think he's got it! ;)

Historically, the country was still referred to by the sum of the parts instead of the whole (are vs is) because the prevailing emphasis was on the sovereignty of the states. As opposed to their existence as mere legal subdivisions of the Country.

Many, many examples of "these United States are" when referring to the nation a single entity.

TJJ

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Here's something to think about in terms of the language that we use and hear every day. What is the difference between the phrase "the United States is" and "the United States are" (or "these United States are")?

From the research that I've done, it use to be common practice to use the phrase "the United States are". I actually came across a New York Times article from 1895 defending then Secretary of State Olney for his use of the plural form of the phrase. They stated that it was common practice before the civil war to use the plural form, but after some people had started using the singular form.

What form of the phrase do you use, and why? Is it even important?

Excellent observation.

I use "are" not "is".

Many have forgotten the sovereignty of the States and that the States created the central government; not the other way around.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As a semi-"Grammar Nazi", I have to shamefully admit it's been a long time since I've paid attention to the implications of the mindset inherent in using "is" vs "are" when speaking of the United States. Strangely enough, the French lay it right out "Aux Etats Unis" every time.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Many have forgotten the sovereignty of the States and that the States created the central government; not the other way around.

I agree with Shooter McGavic here...

"These United States" meaning the states united together to form the country.

"The United States" is commonly referred to and thought of as a singular federal entity.

Different meaning and mindset with each.

Top Bottom