• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I read an article that said Hillary's popular vote win was almost exclusively due to her success in California.

If there was no Electoral College, would Midwestern states even know that an election was happening?

Actually if you subtract the vote count of New York City and Los Angeles Hillary would have lost the popular vote. Funny how two cities can make such a difference, hence the Electoral College.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How can you win something you weren't competing for

Like saying today I win for having the most cardboard boxes in my office than anyone else in the office.

Sure, they could have won if they were told that competition was happening. But oh well, I win

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You are actually quite the learned man, and I am duly impressed.

There are many, including among us at INGO, who are far more learned than I am.

The question I would ask, based on the perspective of what I originally wrote, is: why on earth would less-populous states so willingly give up their power? And what is the endgame of the more-populous states?

The answer, in part, is found in this piece that discusses historical perspectives on our constitutional republic. The end paragraph is particularly applicable (emphasis added):

If there is a lesson in all of this it is that our Constitution is neither a self-actuating nor a self-correcting document. It requires the constant attention and devotion of all citizens. There is a story, often told, that upon exiting the Constitutional Convention Benjamin Franklin was approached by a group of citizens asking what sort of government the delegates had created. His answer was: "A republic, if you can keep it." The brevity of that response should not cause us to under-value its essential meaning: democratic republics are not merely founded upon the consent of the people, they are also absolutely dependent upon the active and informed involvement of the people for their continued good health.

The more-populous states don't want to keep it. The closer we move from a constitutional republic of sovereign states to democracy, the more power they wield. Progressives have a stranglehold on our most populated metropolitan areas, and removing constitutional constraints against democratic mob rule would give them the same stranglehold upon the entire country. Progressives in the smaller states understand this dynamic, and realize that it is a means to subvert state sovereignty and allow them to join in with the progressive mob.

The endgame is thus Progressive domination over rural America - flyover country that the left so despises.

Sadly, Benjamin Franklin may have been foreshadowing what is to come. Our founding fathers gave us a republic; after a mere 250 years, we are close to failing to keep it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The argument for a popular vote election is basically buyer's remorse.

The electoral college system was a compromise that the high-population states made in order to convince the low-population states to agree to the Constitution. Everyone understood that the system was overweighing the populace of the small states; that was the express purpose of the system.

But now the larger states are upset that they don't get the power that they expressly and knowingly ceded in order to convince the smaller states to join in the formation of a powerful federal government.

Buyer's remorse. Too bad. Especially for New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Virginia, who were part of making the deal originally.

but.. but that DEAL was not made by me (ie. the current generations) it was made by my great, great, great, great grandpapi (8 generations ago).
    its time for a new deal is thwir thinkkng

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There are many, including among us at INGO, who are far more learned than I am.

The question I would ask, based on the perspective of what I originally wrote, is: why on earth would less-populous states so willingly give up their power? And what is the endgame of the more-populous states?

The answer, in part, is found in this piece that discusses historical perspectives on our constitutional republic. The end paragraph is particularly applicable (emphasis added):

The more-populous states don't want to keep it. The closer we move from a constitutional republic of sovereign states to democracy, the more power they wield. Progressives have a stranglehold on our most populated metropolitan areas, and removing constitutional constraints against democratic mob rule would give them the same stranglehold upon the entire country. Progressives in the smaller states understand this dynamic, and realize that it is a means to subvert state sovereignty and allow them to join in with the progressive mob.

The endgame is thus Progressive domination over rural America - flyover country that the left so despises.

Sadly, Benjamin Franklin may have been foreshadowing what is to come. Our founding fathers gave us a republic; after a mere 250 years, we are close to failing to keep it.

nothing last forever.
    roman went bye bye as did the greeks and eqyptians before them. it is the cycle of human history.

Top Bottom