• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    If I were you I'd look into a single action 22 like either a used single six or a new heritage rough rider (both should be in your price range). If you get a 22 double action you will probably find yourself shooting it in single action anyway because a lot of double action rimfires have a pretty stiff trigger pull but the Taurus 22's are pretty decently priced.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    A used H@R is another option. Some are swing out cyl. D.A.,some are not. Kinda utilitarian compared to the SW's and Taurus',but durable and fun;should be less $,if you can find one.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I purchased a Colt .22 and a Smith & Wesson pre-17 for $400 ($200 a pop) at the Indy1500 in Indianapolis in August. My last Smith M17 was $400+tax at the Lafayette gun show in November.

If you want a quality revolver for your price range, you have to put in work. Sorry to have to tell you this, I too long for the days of the $200 .22 revolver.

Back in my day . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXfQzfl9EQ

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here's the M17 I got at the Lafayette show for the $400:

Here is the Colt .22 and Smith pre-17 (three digit serial number, 1946) that I got at the Indy1500 for $200 a pop:

You have to put in work to get a solid piece for your price range. It's hard out there for a gun nut.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

You have some great pieces, Kirk. By "work," do you mean researching prices and looking for deals on the internet? Or doing some hard-core bargaining at the gun show?

Anyway, the only real reason that I wanted a revolver in .22 LR was to keep the calibers I have to a minimum (currently have three), and I figured that since .22 LR is dirt cheap, then revolvers in that would be too. However, I checked out some Taurus 82s at Midwest Gun Exchange the other day going for $180 each; they were definitely used, but seemed in working order. Anyone have experience with Taurus?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    .22 revlvers are great fun! I love shooting revolvers and the .22 is so cheap. I have a Charter Arms Pathfinder 6 shot .22lr SA/DA and I have been very happy with it. I don't quite remember, but I believe they are not much more than $300

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Any suggestions? :D Double action and a swing-out cylinder would be preferred, price range around $150-300.

Well, your price range is a bit low for this, but I just saw a gorgeous Ruger Single six convertible in all stainless for sale at Applied Ballistics....think it was around $425, with both the 22 LR and 22 WMR cylinders. The gun was immaculate. Can't go wrong with the old Ruger Single Six's. My dad has one that belonged to my grandfather.......I shot it as a kid...still shoots great today.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You have some great pieces, Kirk. By "work," do you mean researching prices and looking for deals on the internet? Or doing some hard-core bargaining at the gun show?

All of the above--research (price is nothing but info), remember the power of no, and networking, letting people know what you want.

I don't know about Internet guns. I have never done this. It just adds transaction costs.

Your best deals will be targets of opportunity being walked around guns shows and friends of friends.

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    I would second the suggestion to consider a Ruger Single Six. Even better, The Ruger Single Ten. The Single Ten is my grandkids' favorite to shoot...real sweet, solid, reliable revolver.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Ruger single-six, if you would be willing to compromise to single action.

+1 on the H&R
    I had a H&R 9-shot years ago. Awesome little gun, no swing out cylinder, but it was double action. I paid $125 for it and sold it for $150....a long time ago. I haven't seen one in a while though.... As soon as I do, I'll be buying it!

Top Bottom