Not open for further replies.

Nate@TeamAB

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    Some seriously stupid decisions in this last episode.

Daryl - he's been stripped of his weapon and taken hostage before. He's cruising in his F700 style tanker.......and stops for some motorcycles "blocking" the road? Negative. Hammer down.

AA-truck-The-Saviors-The-Walking-Dead-850x560.jpg

Flaming lake - fuel is more precious than water in this scenario. It'll rain again, but you're not getting any more fuel. Dump it and set it on fire?! C'mon man!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some seriously stupid decisions in this last episode.

Daryl - he's been stripped of his weapon and taken hostage before. He's cruising in his F700 style tanker.......and stops for some motorcycles "blocking" the road? Negative. Hammer down.

View attachment 45208

Flaming lake - fuel is more precious than water in this scenario. It'll rain again, but you're not getting any more fuel. Dump it and set it on fire?! C'mon man!

I agree fuel is precious. But so is life. And they were engaging way too many walkers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree fuel is precious. But so is life. And they were engaging way too many walkers.

Sure beyond Thunderdome, yes, but honesty, is it? There should be an inexhaustible supply of fuel for the survivors. The initial outbreak started fast and spread exponentially. There's no way, that of the people that are left on the planet, that they shouldn't be able to survive indefinitely; having all the things they want(assuming they don't get eaten, themselves).

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Sure beyond Thunderdome, yes, but honesty, is it? There should be an inexhaustible supply of fuel for the survivors. The initial outbreak started fast and spread exponentially. There's no way, that of the people that are left on the planet, that they shouldn't be able to survive indefinitely; having all the things they want(assuming they don't get eaten, themselves).

Even small gas stations have 12,000 gallon storage tanks. Lotta gas.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Even small gas stations have 12,000 gallon storage tanks. Lotta gas.

1. How good will it be years after it's put in that tank?
    2. How much do you think will be in there? It's not like there's going to be delivery of gas the last 3 days of civilization. And anyone remember the 70s, will remember that gas stations empty REAL fast.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    1. How good will it be years after it's put in that tank?
    2. How much do you think will be in there? It's not like there's going to be delivery of gas the last 3 days of civilization. And anyone remember the 70s, will remember that gas stations empty REAL fast.

There would be a noteworthy difference. During a oil/gas crisis, people that had/needed/used gas will always be so. During a Zombie apocalypse, people would very quickly no need/use gas (because they'll be dead or zombies). Youre also making the assumption, that when things get really bad, they'll be some chick with "summer teeth" steadfastly approving gas purchases from the station's counter, rather than bugging out herself.
    Here's a breakdown of the show's timeline:
    The Walking Dead TV Show Timeline - Walking Dead Wiki - Wikia

Essentially, if you've made it to day 5 and haven't gotten gas, you be dumb to risk it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There would be a noteworthy difference. During a oil/gas crisis, people that had/needed/used gas will always be so. During a Zombie apocalypse, people would very quickly no need/use gas (because they'll be dead or zombies). Youre also making the assumption, that when things get really bad, they'll be some chick with "summer teeth" steadfastly approving gas purchases from the station's counter, rather than bugging out herself.
    Here's a breakdown of the show's timeline:
    The Walking Dead TV Show Timeline - Walking Dead Wiki - Wikia

Essentially, if you've made it to day 5 and haven't gotten gas, you be dumb to risk it.

By day 5, there'd be no gas in the tank.
    When the trucks stop delivering, everyone and their brother is going to go try and get more gas.
    That 12,000 gallon tank mentioned earlier, what's that going to do? 1,200 people at 10 gallons. If it's full. If they only get 10 gallons.
    I remember gas stations being emptied every day, waiting for the next delivery.
    And it wasn't because those people were using it all going to work multiple times a day.

Just like stores. A big storm threatens the area, and look at the empty shelves.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When the trucks stop delivering, everyone and their brother is going to go try and get more gas.
    That 12,000 gallon tank mentioned earlier, what's that going to do? 1,200 people at 10 gallons. If it's full. If they only get 10 gallons.
    And it wasn't because those people were using it all going to work multiple times a day.

Just like stores. A big storm threatens the area, and look at the empty shelves.

What you ignoring:
    Zombies are increasing everyday
    Gas won't be the only thing people will want
    If you're panicking at the impending fall of society, why aren't the gas station clerks

You took one instance, and listed one commodity and applied it to zombie apocalypse. You are assuming that during massive civil unrest, people will choose gasoline above all other commodities, and attempt to bug out, rather than bug in. A sheeple society such as our, will most assuredly bug in and expect GOV to save them... "in a couple of days..." These people won't have a clue whats going on until very late in the game. They won't be buy gas in the first or second days, most likely because they will think they are safe , but as the outbreak spreads outward and the light comes on, then they will bug out (if they can). I can only hope that if they were smart enough to know what's happening and leave, that they are no stupid enough to wait in a long car line to get fuel (not to mention the idiot still working the pumps), as the hordes descend upon them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What you ignoring:
    Zombies are increasing everyday
    Gas won't be the only thing people will want
    If you're panicking at the impending fall of society, why aren't the gas station clerks

You took one instance, and listed one commodity and applied it to zombie apocalypse. You are assuming that during massive civil unrest, people will choose gasoline above all other commodities, and attempt to bug out, rather than bug in. A sheeple society such as our, will most assuredly bug in and expect GOV to save them... "in a couple of days..." These people won't have a clue whats going on until very late in the game. They won't be buy gas in the first or second days, most likely because they will think they are safe , but as the outbreak spreads outward and the light comes on, then they will bug out (if they can). I can only hope that if they were smart enough to know what's happening and leave, that they are no stupid enough to wait in a long car line to get fuel (not to mention the idiot still working the pumps), as the hordes descend upon them.

No. I didn't take one commodity. I mentioned stores. People will be going after EVERYTHING. Useless people will be going after useless stuff like TVs. Some will grab food, some ammo. etc etc
    It doesn't matter if the gas clerk comes to work. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to get gas out of a tank.

Let's assume the gas is there. How about my other point. Leave gas for several years. How useful is it?

Nate@TeamAB

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Lafayette

This. I think gas stations would be out in 24/48 hours. Most of us have means to stock ammo, water, food, etc but not so much gas. Now that I think about it I'm unfortunately limited to what my 2 SUV's, 2 gas cans, lawnmower, and Honda Big Red can hold.

Either way TWD crew has figured out by now that running vehicles, fuel, and ammo are precious commodities. Going full auto hooah on zombies and setting fire to fuel just seems ignorant.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, going "full auto hooah on zombies and setting fire to fuel" does seem ignorant.

But, it was fast.
    On full auto I'd be worried about wasting a buttload of extra rounds. And accidently hitting who I wanted save.

But, would we be thinking the same in that situation? We're warm and fed. Tomorrow will probably be safe for us.
    They've been in their situation for a while. Looking for food, water, ammo, safety.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    In answer to how long fuel lasts, I found this forum: how long does gas last? - Survivalist Forum

The short answer is gasoline lasts about six months to a year, Sta-Bil added extends the life, two years at the outside and you're FUBAR apparently. Diesel lasts longer, but starts to develop algae? Don't know about that one, but it sounds plausible.

So, running on untreated gasoline two years in - not gonna happen.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Note to self: rig truck to run as a generator to power a pump at abandoned gas stations after zombie apocalypse ensues.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom