• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Let me just say, Ross Marquand, a.k.a. Aaron, does a flippin' spot-on Matthew McConnaughey[sp?].

He does a ton of impressions. He actually stars in a YouTube series called "The Impression Guys" on the channel, SoulPancake.

I embedded the trailer in this thread a few weeks ago. The show its pretty funny.

They actually just started posting episodes from season 2 a few days ago.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I don't think Sasha has lost it as much as she is totally disgusted by how intentionally ignorant these folks are about the real world.

It is understandable when people put pressure on a returning soldier to "get in line." After all, the war is "over", or at the very least "over there." It is completely unsympathetic, crass and lacking in empathy but it IS understandable.

For these folks the war is neither over nor over there, it is 1,000 yards in any direction outside their fence! Their ignorance isn't due to being on a deserted island, it is intentionally selfimposed. I will bet a dollar even Deanna doesn't fully grasp the severity of the world. They are all much like Herschel was in the beginning. Stories from Aaron or Eric cannot possibly convey what they see and hear from the groups that they have passed on! These aren't necessarily "bad" people, but people so desperate they are willing to do anything to survive because they NEED to do anything they can to survive!

Alexandria is the old normal, doomed to die. It cannot survive. It can transition to a new normal, but that will take everyone removing their own blinders and realizing that what will need to be built will not be a "copy" of what was. The past can be used as a template for a utopian goal, just understand that it can never be achieved in several lifetimes.

It would be entirely reasonable to be disgusted with people who have so much and could truly build toward a new normal, a new civilization, yet instead chose to remain in ignorance and denial about what the real work is going to take to get there! This then avoids any progress toward a real future of hope.

Consider for a moment if you were at the party and asked the group the following question, "Who here has had to stab a loved one in the head with a knife or screwdriver or shoot them to keep them from getting back up?" I believe everyone in Ricks group would raise their hand, while the numbers from Alexandria might be only a handful, and that handful is not the reality of the current world. Ricks group is almost like Lawrence Fishburne in The Matrix trying to get everyone to wake up and see the real world, yet most chose not to go out the door and understand what needs to be done to survive, and then to rebuild.

Regards,

Doug

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Foreshadowing?

4Jib4Hz.jpg

4evercoltsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Goshen
    Has Morgan appeared on TTD yet? He's easily the most accomplished actor of the bunch, and he has a lot of work on other projects, so maybe he had some free time to and decided to go on the show.
    Did anyone notice that as the doctor and Jessie walked by, in the background there was a street sign with the name Morgan on it???

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I took that as a "could I do it" sort of action. Testing himself to see what it felt like to draw on someone he's beginning to know.

That is how I saw it as well. Rick has a potential "plan" and is now wondering whether or not he could actually act on that plan.

I think in the end he will reformat his plan to something less "hostile" than his initial "we'll take it."

Regards,

Doug

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Note that Rick's "we'll just take it" comment was predicated on "if they can't make it", meaning if the Alexandrians can't survive in the world the Ricktatorship knows waits for them just outside the walls, if the Alexandrians can't make the decisions that will help them continue living in safety, then, Rick and the group will "just take it" from them and make those decisions and take the steps the Alexandrians can't, or just don't. It's a lead, follow, GTFO of my way type sentiment. If the Alexandrians prove themselves capable of more than moderate welding, then they will earn the group's obedience and assistance. If not, Carol can take their guns whenever she wants.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Note that Rick's "we'll just take it" comment was predicated on "if they can't make it", meaning if the Alexandrians can't survive in the world the Ricktatorship knows waits for them just outside the walls, if the Alexandrians can't make the decisions that will help them continue living in safety, then, Rick and the group will "just take it" from them and make those decisions and take the steps the Alexandrians can't, or just don't. It's a lead, follow, GTFO of my way type sentiment. If the Alexandrians prove themselves capable of more than moderate welding, then they will earn the group's obedience and assistance. If not, Carol can take their guns whenever she wants.

Again, I agree. My point is I believe Ricks initial "we'll just take it" was a less caring, more blunt line of thinking. He hadn't bonded OR gotten to know the people.

After meeting Reg and the others I believe he is beginning to alter his thinking from the blunt, initial Admrial Adama approach to Pres Roslin, to a more nuanced "I have to sell the idea" approach. Either way, Ricks group will do whatever they have to in order to survive, they have been through far too much to give up on one another now. That said, I do believe they may be adjusting to a bit more diplomatic thinking. They really do have a chance to make some sort of life here. What Deanna envisions IS pie in the sky, but this could well be a foundation for a better future than they would ever have living on the road.

It is ironic that the very thing that Reg did to keep everyone safe, the wall, may be the very thing that has ALSO kept them weak! Reg was too successful in protecting the community from the random small groups of zombies that came along. The people have not been allowed to feel the loss nearly as much as the rest of the world, and thus their fall will be way harder than everyone elses'. A bunker that is so strong on the outside, but weak on the inside. Of course the wall wasn't the only problem. In truth has been their policy of not going out and learning about the rest of the world are what truly has made them weak, the wall is only a physical manifestation of the idea.

Regards,

Doug

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom