• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Over the last year , as crime in Indy has increased , my wife has shown an interest in a lifetime LTCH and purchasing a pistol. Today I was in Hope, and my wife spent an hour coon fingering their selection. By the end of our visit, she put a .40 Shield on lay away. She said she didn't want to do it, but felt that with what goes on in Indy she had no choice. I'm happy she made the step up. Now she is going to file for the LTCH. By the time she get's it, we should about have her pistol.

Best part for me was she said if she didn't like , she'll get rid of it and get something else. I told her she can get something else , if it comes to that, but I'm keeping the gun.;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would advise you both going to a range where you could rent the Shield in .40 to try it out (and in 9mm as well if possible). Some people find it too snappy in .40 and some are sensitive enough that they don't even like it in 9mm. I have the 9mm version and while it's definitely snappier than my G19 and PPQ, it's still very manageable. By trying it in advance, you might be able to avoid having to get rid of it and get something else if she finds she doesn't like it, instead of buying what she's comfortable with from the beginning.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Congrats.. I just about have my wife there but see light at the end of the tunnel. :)
    If your wife's first experience at the range is not enjoyable you might have a hard time getting her back there again. IMHO a 40, especially in a small pistol is not a good choice for a new shooter. Get her confident with a 22 first and as wtburnette said rent a few different pistols so she will have an idea of what suits her.. Also training is a really good idea. NRA basic pistol is a good course, which I happen to teach. But I would highly recommend getting her some training somewhere. There are many good trainers around Indy.
    Just my .02
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor
    Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member

1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There is something to be said about letting a spouse make their own choice and I agree with that to a point, but that can only go so far if they are totally inexperienced in the actual function and shooting properties of a particular firearm. It might feel good in the hands in the "coonfingering" process at the LGS but once the lead starts going down range it's a different story IMO.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Hold on guys, like I said, if she ends up not liking it , she gets a different gun, I get a shield. To me it's a win / win situation. Actually though, she's not a newbie, and we have discussed the different aspects of her choice and purchase. All I need to do is to pay off the purchase.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Over the last year , as crime in Indy has increased , my wife has shown an interest in a lifetime LTCH and purchasing a pistol. Today I was in Hope, and my wife spent an hour coon fingering their selection. By the end of our visit, she put a .40 Shield on lay away. She said she didn't want to do it, but felt that with what goes on in Indy she had no choice. I'm happy she made the step up. Now she is going to file for the LTCH. By the time she get's it, we should about have her pistol.

Best part for me was she said if she didn't like , she'll get rid of it and get something else. I told her she can get something else , if it comes to that, but I'm keeping the gun.;)

congrats. as a few others have said, seriously consider the 9mm version. I'm a big dude, and I still prefer 9mm in smaller pistols (compared to .40). My wife found .40 to be NOT enjoyable in smaller guns (previous glock 27) I carry the shield in 9mm and love it!!

EDIT to add: in the end it's her decision, and the .40 is a great round. I'm not doubting her choice or experience. Happy hunting!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    If it's her first gun, I would definitely go with a 9mm because you want her to have a good experience and practice.
    What's her experience level?
    She will need to run at least 300 rounds through it to get familiar with and break it in good.

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    You're lucky... I haven't succeeded in getting my wife to fire anything larger than .32 ACP. When I'm away on business, she'll ask for a refresher on how to open the bedside safe, but she's turned down offers for range trips and training classes repeatedly. I wish I knew how to warm her up to the thought without negative reinforcement like a home invasion in the neighborhood or something.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Hobart
    I've been shooting for 2 years now because of an incident I could have been part of if I would have left my house 5 minutes sooner. Anyway I love my 9mm glock 26 and carry it everyday and my hubby has the .40 cal shield and I find it quite snappy and can only shoot 50 rounds at the range before my wrist/hand start to hurt but can shoot 200 rounds down range with my glock no problem. I have shot 100 rounds with a 9mm shield and done fine. Take her to the range and let her shoot a variety of guns to see what she likes. Glad you may be able to add one to your collection if she doesn't like it. Good luck and glad she will be able to defend herself.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    The only thing I have to say about it is to remind her that training drawing and sweeping the safety is really important. That is the only thing I don't like about the Shield.

I'm glad to hear that your family will be that much safer!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The only thing I have to say about it is to remind her that training drawing and sweeping the safety is really important. That is the only thing I don't like about the Shield.

I'm glad to hear that your family will be that much safer!

This is why most folks owning the Shield pistols don't use the manual safety at all...

No where is it written that one must use a manual safety when one is included. :)

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Can't you swap a 9mm barrel on the 40 with the Shield like in the other M&Ps? I was thinking you could, but I may be wrong. I gave up looking at the Shield when I found out I couldn't get a FSS for it.

zhigdon91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    southside indy
    My fiancé went shooting with me not too long ago after she too decided with the crime in indy it was time to get her ltch. I let her shoot my glock19, glock 27, and my xds 45, I was almost positive she would want the glock 19 but she ended up deciding on the glock 27. She said she didn't really mind the recoil and loved the size. The xds on the other hand she wanted nothing to do with after the first mag which is understandable. So needless to say she is now carrying the 27.

Top Bottom