• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I was about 10 years old a long time ago when I learned that a gun can cause pain. My grandpa gave me a hammered 12 gauge sxs and told me to go back to the bean field and kill a groundhog. The hole was in a corner of the field about 10 yards from a tree. I sat down against the tree a waited for him to show. When he finally decided it was safe to come out of his hole, he came out of the hole facing away from me. Not wanting to miss my first groundhog, I cocked both hammers. When I let him have both barrels, it hurt for a long time. I got the groundhog and hate them to this day.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    The worst I've been damaged by a gun was shooting trap with my Mossberg 500. We did 4 rounds in a row, and I learned that either my 500 is the most unpleasant shotgun to shoot ever or I don't know how to hold it. I'm going with it being the most unpleasant ever, because I've never had another shotgun punish me like my 500 does. My shoulder was black and blue for days, turning to a nice shade of OD green (tactical). I probably ought to upgrade at some point, now that I think about it.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I tried to slow the firing action while dry-firing a Marlin 25 and pinched my thumb between the [firing pin carrier] and the machined edge of the bolt channel, I bled for nearly and hour.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been lucky in my 7 short years of gun ownership, however, I was shot in the foot with a Daisy pump air rifle and had to dig the BB out with a knife. Does that count? :D

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Once, I was standing next to my brother when he shot a fairly fresh cowpie with a shotgun.

It fought back.

See, I found out, when you shoot a cowpie with a shotgun, the liquid cow crap instantly sprays up in small clumps maybe 20 feet, spreads out, then rains down in at least a 20 foot radius. I've had a few bruises and stuff like that, but nothing near what some people have described, and none of mine were as horrifying as liquid cow crap raining down on my head. At least we could laugh about it later. From a physics point of view, it was a fascinating reaction.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Had a Mauser blow up in my face. Totally my fault for shooting reloads I had bought. Honestly if it wasn't for how those guns are made and the fact that I was wearing good eye protection more than likely would be at least blind in one eye.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Once, I was standing next to my brother when he shot a fairly fresh cowpie with a shotgun.

It fought back.

See, I found out, when you shoot a cowpie with a shotgun, the liquid cow crap instantly sprays up in small clumps maybe 20 feet, spreads out, then rains down in at least a 20 foot radius. I've had a few bruises and stuff like that, but nothing near what some people have described, and none of mine were as horrifying as liquid cow crap raining down on my head. At least we could laugh about it later. From a physics point of view, it was a fascinating reaction.

Easily the most interesting story. LOL I've had buckshot ricochet back and hit me, but the only time I ever got crap thrown on me was from a prison inmate... still sucks.

fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    So i was an idiot. Lets get that out of the way. When i was in the army, i always fired with my offhand on the magwell, it worked for me. So fast forward to Iraq and i am teaching the iraqi army some shooting techniques. I was given a group of left handed guys because i too am left handed. So i grab the guy's ak, Shoulder it, grab the mag and brace my thumb against the receiver. Thumb straight up, just like the m4 right? Nope. So here i am trying to look like gi badass when i fire tye gun and the charging handle slams back and breaks my thimb at a 90 degree angle. Needless to say, they learned how not to shoot their rifle that day.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was deeply disappointed with the trigger, the fit and finish, the recoil and the accuracy on a Keltec PF9 and had to sell it.
    FIFY.

I put 250 rounds through mine in a few hours to make sure it worked. No failures but I was fatigued. Future range trips were shorter and shorter. So I swapped it out.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A Mosin Nagant M44 bruised my shoulder after a long day at the range.

A Walther PPK took a little bit of skin.

An SVT40 sniper rifle gave me heartache because I couldn't afford it.

:dunno:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    First time I shot a Thompson Contender off the bench it kept biting my knuckle. It was from the lever that opens the action. You have to shoot it from the grip resting on solid surface and the for arm resting on the bag.

My dad gave me his 300 Weatherby after he had a heart attack. The first time I shot it I felt the scope just hit the top of my eyelid. I didn't end up with a scope mark but it was close. After that I was ready for it and had no more problems out of it. My son in law wasn't so lucky after me telling him how to prevent it. He ended up bleeding. No trip to the emergency room but I did get a call from my daughter asking if I was being mean to her husband. I explained that I had warned him on how to shoot it and he didn't listen. She was good with that. The girl knows her husband.

I hadn't shot my 1187 in some time and was on the bench checking zero. I had my thumb stuck up in the air and when I fired it came back and hit me in the eye. That hurt and made me feel like a fool for doing something so dumb. Then to top it all off the wife asked why my eye was so red. So I had to explain to her how dumb I was.

I know I did more than that I just can't remember any more than that, or my brain just don't wont me to tell on my self.

Last edited:

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Purchased a brand new Remington 760 (30-06) after being paid to paint a guys house. Got a new Redfield scope mounted and took it to sight in. First shot bloodied my mouth from the recoil as my right thumb crashed into my jaw. Glad the bore sighting was done as it only took two more shots to be in the black. Later that evening after several ice packs took the swelling down, all that remained was a split lip. That gun and scope never lost zero and was carried on several deer hunts. I was more careful with my grip after that experience and it didn't happen again. Still have the gun nearly fifty years later.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have been hit by shotgun pellets three times. Twice at Winamac, once at Willow Slough. One of the instances at Winamac, in Area 4, involved pellets hitting the leaves around me in my deer stand. There wasn't much velocity left, and it was more like a gentle rain of pellets falling through the leaves, although a couple them landed on me, that was more of an annoyance at the lack of due care at the bird hunters walking the field adjacent to the woods I was in than anything close to real harm. My orange was clearly visible. Very annoying though.

The time at Willow Slough was close enough to be scary, but with the thick clothing and gloves, no harm done. Again, another careless lame excuse for a hunter.

The other occasion at Winamac, in Area 10, was the worst of the three. My buddy and I were scouting for deer stand locations walking along the edge of a corn field. I noticed a couple of quail flying over the corn. Just as I said, "hey look at the quail" a shot rang out. I could hear the pellets ripping through the corn stalks coming towards us. I was never in the military, but I found out that day - just the same - that hitting the dirt is a very instinctive reaction - just not humanly fast enough. My buddy got hit in the face with a few pellets, I remember the distinctive sound of a couple of pellets clicking off the lenses of his sun glasses. Very luckily for him he was wearing them. A couple more pellets hit him in the cheek but didn't break the skin, but left a couple of nasty welts. Again, due to a very careless hunter.

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I forgot to mention the time I tried to aim a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun. It slammed in my mouth and there was blood. Thank goodness I was shooting birdshot or I would have done much more damage

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A .378 Wby. Magnum and a skinny 14 year old that bit off more than he could chew and was too stupid to know his limitations.

Don't do this. My shoulder/arm was a rainbow of colors, even purple, blue, red, just nasty.

Sam Wheeler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I had a hot piece of brass make it over the top of my glasses and rest on my eyelid. While trying to yank my glasses off with my hearing protection on I managed to dislodge the brass from my eyelid allowing it to drop to a point just under my eye before getting the glasses off and having the offending brass drop calmly to the floor. It's healing nicely but I suspect I will be wearing a billed cap from now on when shooting.

Top Bottom