• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If you could keep only one of the following working guns?

• Total voters

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I voted for the AR. Here is my thinking...when or if SHTF and you need ammo, there is going to be tons of it left by the guys who don't have a real clue how to defend themselves.

Not only that for self defense you can't beat the CQB ability and the long range accuracy of the AR platform.

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    I would go with the shotgun. I keep buying new rifles but never new shotguns. The shotgun I have is good for everything I need. Can put meat on the table, any kind of meat, can be good at home defense, can put a deer on the ground at 150+ yards. Kinda silly to shoot a squirrel with a 270 or a 460...

farva118

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I voted for the 870 just because, as stated, it is the perfect all around gun. Ammo is everywhere, it's effective in all facets of use, and requires very minimal maintenance. When it's time to bug out, the 870 goes along for the ride.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I went with the AR. Yes, at closer ranges, the shotgun is definitely more versatile. However, it's is limited on range. I also considered capacity and ammo size. I can carry two/three .223 rounds compared to one shotgun round. Also, it's easy to change calibers with an AR. So, you can have an upper and mags for a larger caliber if need be. Yes, it drives the cost up, but the versatility outweighs the cost in my opinion.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I went with the AR. Yes, at closer ranges, the shotgun is definitely more versatile. However, it's is limited on range. I also considered capacity and ammo size. I can carry two/three .223 rounds compared to one shotgun round. Also, it's easy to change calibers with an AR. So, you can have an upper and mags for a larger caliber if need be. Yes, it drives the cost up, but the versatility outweighs the cost in my opinion.

I'm going with Patriot on this one, a shotgun is versatile (and I love my 870), but the range is limited... The AR is more versatile IMO due to component swaps. Large caliber, small caliber, SBR possiblities, long range shooting, And more ammo in the same space as the shotgun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Possibly the answer depends on your expected environment?

Very good point! I basically said working gun. To me that means a gun that stays close at hand, truck gun if you will. Now one has to determine why we need such a tool.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Keep the shottie, sell me the Marlin (hehe).

After reading all the good points of view I can not decide between the 870 or the AR. But I will buy that Marlin from you.

If I decide to sell one it will probably be the Marlin. Might even cut you guys a deal. But for now everything will stay in its proper place. Regardless I thought it might lead to an interesting thread since the three choices are all very popular and versatile guns.

870 advantage = durability and versatility, but is heavy
    AR = capacity and accuracy plus ability to fire. 22, but gives up durability
    1894c = lightweight and easy maintenance

Top Bottom