• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I have my RCBS mounted on a 2x6 piece of planed hardwood. The pilot never went in squarely. I had to loosen the universal shell holding device end so the pilot would enter at all. Since the shell holder end is loose, the pilot enters the case ok but requires manipulation. The universal case holder flips the case off about 1 out of 3 times. I then use my RCBS Case Prep Center to debur before measuring. Even then, I think the amount trimmed is dependent on how hard I press on the crank. This shouldn't be the case on any piece of good equipment.

After you get the pilot in the case do you then tighten the shell holder?

With the Universal holders there is slop in relation to the center line of the pilot bushing. So that's why you insert case then pilot after that then tight'en shell holder down. This will make everything in-line, stable and accurate. After ya get one where you want it set it aside for the next time I run that case if your trimming another type of case and do the same. Don't cut that case, just run the stops up to it and lock down. They are not perfect but it will save some time when trimming different cases.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    OK, we're talking about bottle-necked 25-'06 cases. The trim-to length in most books is 2.484". Are you saying you had cases as short at 2.474" and as long as 2.494", after you trimmed them? That is what you would be getting, if they were +/- .010".

A 25-'06 case, trimmed to 2.474", is NOT "FUBAR". It's perfectly fine to load up and shoot. That you would throw bottle-necked cases away just because they were trimmed a little shorter than trim-to length suggests that you're pretty new at this.

My guess is you had a trimmed range of +/- .005", or a total variation of .010". I say this because, if you started with brass that was long enough to need trimming (2.494"), the amount of manual effort to remove a full .020", as you are suggesting, is substantial. You would be cranking for a long time and wondering why it's taking so long. Regardless...25-'06 brass, trimmed past 2.484", is still perfectly suitable for reloading.

If the collet is not entering the case mouth cleanly, it's possible the tool is not aligned properly and that could cause problems, but not what you are describing. If you aren't using the correct shell-holder in the left side of the tool, or you aren't adjusting the set screw properly on the handle side, you'll get the kind of variation you are reporting. I wouldn't be surprised if you discover this is where you are missing something.

But, the bottom line is you haven't explained anything thus far that would suggest the tool itself is flawed. Countless reloaders trim cases to within +/- .002" using the very same tool you are struggling with. There is absolutely a "better way"...but it doesn't require a different tool to get there.

Thank you for the response and advise. Yes, I had cases as short as 2.474. Your comments were helpful because I am a newby at reloading (I have reloaded about 25 rounds with 2 different loads and shot them at the range without blowing up my rifle). I taught myself from YouTube. No one has ever watched and made suggestions. I just ordered the RCBS Master kit, 3 manuals and started. I am thankful for this forum because I have a place to ask dumb questions from folks that actually know there stuff. You say that they are fine for loading up and shooting. My question is, how much +/- is too much? I have thrown away more than 2 brass. When reloading my first 25, I had the same problem. I have probably thrown away 10 brass.

The RCBS trimmer is the new style with a universal shell holder. All I do is press the long handle, insert the case and release the handle. It tends to spit the cases out when trimming.

I like the idea and video of the Little Crow trimmer that indexes off the neck. If it works like the video says, I will never look back. If not, I will have to figure out the RCBS.

I have more questions that I will reserve for another thread such as head-space adjustment and powder questions. Thanks.....

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    After you get the pilot in the case do you then tighten the shell holder?

With the Universal holders there is slop in relation to the center line of the pilot bushing. So that's why you insert case then pilot after that then tight'en shell holder down. This will make everything in-line, stable and accurate. After ya get one where you want it set it aside for the next time I run that case if your trimming another type of case and do the same. Don't cut that case, just run the stops up to it and lock down. They are not perfect but it will save some time when trimming different cases.

Thanks for the reply. I think you suggested that I insert the pilot and case while holding down the lever of the shell holder. Until I loosened the entire shell holder from the body, it would flip nearly all the cases out. Now it only flip out 1 in 3. Anyway, the Little Crow will be in next week and I am going to try it out first.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Just received my Little Crow trimmer today. Since all my brass are trimmed and primed I won't know the results until after I do some range time and generate some brass. I do know that it looks like a quality piece of machining equipment. Hope it works as well as it looks.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    A follow-up on my new Little Crow. I received it and have had a chance to trim some brass. It is a great tool. My RCBS grinder has found a new home in the back of my cabinet. A tip for using the Little Crow. You need a reference brass to set it up properly. I first used a previously trimmed case that was exactly 2.484. I was undersizing by about 2 or .003 consistently. So, I found a brass that was over about the same and used it to set up the Crow. Bingo. Perfectly sized and trimmed every time.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    A follow-up on my new Little Crow. I received it and have had a chance to trim some brass. It is a great tool. My RCBS grinder has found a new home in the back of my cabinet. A tip for using the Little Crow. You need a reference brass to set it up properly. I first used a previously trimmed case that was exactly 2.484. I was undersizing by about 2 or .003 consistently. So, I found a brass that was over about the same and used it to set up the Crow. Bingo. Perfectly sized and trimmed every time.

So, you're saying that once you figured out the trick to setting up and using that particular tool.... :)

Glad it's working well for you. Make a gift of the RCBS trimmer. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it?

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    So, you're saying that once you figured out the trick to setting up and using that particular tool.... :)

Glad it's working well for you. Make a gift of the RCBS trimmer. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it?

Yes, yes, I get the point. But, it is much easier and more accurate for me since I'm a lawyer and not a machinist.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom