• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yeah the current filter has been in there about 3 weeks. The fan sounds fine and doesn’t appear to struggle. So can I presume the high limit switch is faulty?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah the current filter has been in there about 3 weeks. The fan sounds fine and doesn’t appear to struggle. So can I presume the high limit switch is faulty?

Yes. It should be easily accessed. It will most likely be just north of the burners in the front panel. The rest of the limits should be manual resets.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There are three switches called “limit” switches in the schematic. I’m not clear which one it would be.

14VRQgY.jpg
    8m6JWmD.jpg
    i7trhTg.jpg

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The two near the burners are called “manual reset rollout switch” and the one behind the gas valve is called the “main limit switch”

Im pretty sure the one I need to replace is the one behind the gas valve.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    filter gets replaced every 6 weeks, I have an amazon subscription for that. I am going to try and look for a code on the board here in a bit when I get home.

Wow, every 6 weeks? I do mine every 3 months and its just slightly greyish. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow, every 6 weeks? I do mine every 3 months and its just slightly greyish. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    It's really all about airflow. The furnace filter is exactly that, it filters the air going into the furnace (think pet hair, large dust particles and other things that will coat the blower, burners, and AC coil. It is not a whole home air filter. It needs to be replaced regularly because as it gets dirty it reduces airflow through the system. If the system looses enough airflow it will overheat the burners and trigger the high limit switch. In cooling season it could freeze the AC coil. If you use the 4 or 5 inch wide filters you can go longer before changes as they have more surface area to catch dirt and don't reduce airflow as dramatically as the 1" wide filters. The MERV ratings play a part as well. The higher the MERV rating the smaller particles are filtered. This sounds great to most people, but it also further reduces airflow through the system even with a clean filter. As you might guess, these filters usually cause the above mentioned low airflow problems. The loss of airflow can be measured if you want to go that far. Measuring will allow you to truly determine when a filter needs to be replaced and if you can use the higher MERV rating filters.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's really all about airflow. The furnace filter is exactly that, it filters the air going into the furnace (think pet hair, large dust particles and other things that will coat the blower, burners, and AC coil. It is not a whole home air filter. It needs to be replaced regularly because as it gets dirty it reduces airflow through the system. If the system looses enough airflow it will overheat the burners and trigger the high limit switch. In cooling season it could freeze the AC coil. If you use the 4 or 5 inch wide filters you can go longer before changes as they have more surface area to catch dirt and don't reduce airflow as dramatically as the 1" wide filters. The MERV ratings play a part as well. The higher the MERV rating the smaller particles are filtered. This sounds great to most people, but it also further reduces airflow through the system even with a clean filter. As you might guess, these filters usually cause the above mentioned low airflow problems. The loss of airflow can be measured if you want to go that far. Measuring will allow you to truly determine when a filter needs to be replaced and if you can use the higher MERV rating filters.

My system uses the 4" filters and I only change twice a year. Basically when I get my semi-annual checkups (AC and furnace). And as for the MERV rating, I pick a fairly high one (like maybe 9 or 10), but not the super-high value, because I figured they would restrict airflow, but also become clogged more quickly.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I picked up a 4” filter today and replaced the 1” I have been using, hoping it would increase airflow and maybe cure my issue. It didn’t.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a 4” filter today and replaced the 1” I have been using, hoping it would increase airflow and maybe cure my issue. It didn’t.
    You've likely already ruled out the filter but the quick way to test is of course to simply remove the filter temporarily.

Given what CM said I think you're on the right track with the "main" high limit switch.

Top Bottom