• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I used to have one. It was pretty nice. The proprietary barrel nut was very nice. The design was really nice as well. The shape of it was the best I've ever held. It just melted into your hand.

There were a few machine marks on it, but the coating was well done.

The main downside was the weight. You can find something considerably lighter these days.

The other thing I didn't like was the internal dimensions. It was pretty difficult to find a gas block that fit well without rubbing the inside of the rail. My YHM clamp on did not fit.

From a modularity standpoint.....modular rails with clamp on sections were the bees knees a few years back. Now, m-lok and key mod are the new thing. Modular rails like this diamondhead version-t still work well, but it's outdated and you can get something better these days.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I used to have one. It was pretty nice. The proprietary barrel nut was very nice. The design was really nice as well. The shape of it was the best I've ever held. It just melted into your hand.

There were a few machine marks on it, but the coating was well done.

The main downside was the weight. You can find something considerably lighter these days.

The other thing I didn't like was the internal dimensions. It was pretty difficult to find a gas block that fit well without rubbing the inside of the rail. My YHM clamp on did not fit.

From a modularity standpoint.....modular rails with clamp on sections were the bees knees a few years back. Now, m-lok and key mod are the new thing. Modular rails like this diamondhead version-t still work well, but it's outdated and you can get something better these days.

Thanks for all this information!

I know next to nothing about the AR platform... And even less than that when it comes to "accessories" and what-not.

What I DO know is that I love the angled look on the business end of this rail.

Are there others that are similarly shaped?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Karri's Guns makes/sells one with the angle. A friend bought one, but it came in the wrong finish, so he sent it back. I believe he also didn't like how it mounted, and ended up getting a UTG.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Why? MI stuff is not "GTG." Just read about the BS CS they showed with their previous gen handguard. Their mounting system is pure junk. The previous gen would rotate and come apart. Lots of reports of that happening even with their recommendation to "glue it on." What a joke. What other handguard manufacturer has people glueing their handguards on?

MI's response to guys on other forums - Tap some threaded holes through the handguard into the barrel nut and bolt it together. MI didn't offer to do this as a service. They recommended their customers to do this. IDK about you, but I'm not a machine shop. And even if I was (I am capable of drilling and tapping a couple holes), I don't buy a handguard with the expectation that I'm going to be the one doing the final machining steps on it just to make it serviceable.

In the end, MI wouldn't replace anything, wouldn't come out with an upfit or fix, and they left their customers with a pile of garbage. I was absolutely taken aback when I read one of their reps recommend someone who had these issues buy a gen3 as a solution to the issues on their previous handguards. He didn't offer a discount, upfit, replacement, or anything. Just a recommendation to basically light $180 on fire, chalk up the old handguard as a loss, and buy yet another product from them. Freaking unreal.

I won't ever buy MI crap after reading how they treated their customers. And their "new G3" mounting system is still junk. They still want you to glue the handguard on. What a joke.

There's LOTS of good handguards and good manufacturers out there. MI is not one of them.

Mlok: Midwest Industries: G3 M-Series One Piece Free Float Handguard

KeyMod: Midwest Industries: G3 K-Series One Piece Free Float Handguard

I'm leaning towards a 13 or 15 MLok myself. The price is right IMO, and the weight is about the same as what I'm taking off my AR to free float it. YMMV of course. MI stuff is g2g. You can also get a lopro gasblock from them for a decent price as well.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Why? MI stuff is not "GTG." Just read about the BS CS they showed with their previous gen handguard. Their mounting system is pure junk. The previous gen would rotate and come apart. Lots of reports of that happening even with their recommendation to "glue it on." What a joke. What other handguard manufacturer has people glueing their handguards on?

MI's response to guys on other forums - Tap some threaded holes through the handguard into the barrel nut and bolt it together. MI didn't offer to do this as a service. They recommended their customers to do this. IDK about you, but I'm not a machine shop. And even if I was (I am capable of drilling and tapping a couple holes), I don't buy a handguard with the expectation that I'm going to be the one doing the final machining steps on it just to make it serviceable.

In the end, MI wouldn't replace anything, wouldn't come out with an upfit or fix, and they left their customers with a pile of garbage. I was absolutely taken aback when I read one of their reps recommend someone who had these issues buy a gen3 as a solution to the issues on their previous handguards. He didn't offer a discount, upfit, replacement, or anything. Just a recommendation to basically light $180 on fire, chalk up the old handguard as a loss, and buy yet another product from them. Freaking unreal.

I won't ever buy MI crap after reading how they treated their customers. And their "new G3" mounting system is still junk. They still want you to glue the handguard on. What a joke.

There's LOTS of good handguards and good manufacturers out there. MI is not one of them.

Only thing i've seen is a post on ARF that a bunch of guys hopped on a bandwagon about. And the posting was about someone who "has been a smith" for 30 some years. He over torqued the gen 2 lugs and it caused the antirotation tabs to distort and shear. Everything I have read, has been that their CS sent them parts no question asked.

YMMV of course, but I don't really take a posting on ARF that serious compared to the rest of the internet.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    My Midwest handguards have been great. Then again, I don't torque the snot out of them like a dumb***. Torque them to spec and you're good to go. Practically the same design as my Seekins

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    Geissele and ALG handguards are pretty decent options as well. While I have by no means torture tested the ALG handguard I've got, it's light and solid, with easy installation and removal for maintenance. The M-LOK attachment is also nice, but steer away from the one without a top rail if you plan to have irons--that front sight rail was a PITA to get level

Top Bottom