• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Just saw the news the politicians have decided to help out the military by cutting their generous pensions. These a---holes have absolutely no shame the entire bunch should be replaced.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    They want to replace our retirement ben fits from a monthly stipend to a 401K type plan?? Sure, everyone knows how great people with those plans do when the stock market crashes. Damn politicians. How about we move the money from congressional pensions to help fund military retirements, lord knows few of them have truly earned it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The panel has advised the military to eliminate its 20-year pensions in favor of a 401(k)-style retirement system, and replace Tricare health coverage with a wide variety of private insurance plans.

Wait, INGO should love this. Privatization, free market, reduction of "bloated government". Next we need to eliminate the pay scales and defined GI Bill and the like and have each soldier negotiate his own wages, to communist to have everyone make the same thing as everyone else of their rank, after all. No "uniform worship" or the like, its just another job, right?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At the risk of appearing insensitive, there are very real issues surrounding the current military retirement system. For many reasons - mostly due to political avoidance of real decisionmaking - our military is very near to becoming a pension system that fights wars. (Or at least trains to.)

Reforms need to happen. I'm absolutely not advocating that military pensioners should be screwed. I'm just saying that, as a society, we're going to have to make some tough decisions.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    They want to replace our retirement ben fits from a monthly stipend to a 401K type plan?? Sure, everyone knows how great people with those plans do when the stock market crashes. Damn politicians. How about we move the money from congressional pensions to help fund military retirements, lord knows few of them have truly earned it.

This has my vote!!!!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    At the risk of appearing insensitive, there are very real issues surrounding the current military retirement system. For many reasons - mostly due to political avoidance of real decisionmaking - our military is very near to becoming a pension system that fights wars. (Or at least trains to.)

Reforms need to happen. I'm absolutely not advocating that military pensioners should be screwed. I'm just saying that, as a society, we're going to have to make some tough decisions.

If you were to step back and take a look at all of the money the federal government takes in, where it spends that money and beginning assigning priorities the decision would be pretty easy in my opinion.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If you were to step back and take a look at all of the money the federal government takes in, where it spends that money and beginning assigning priorities the decision would be pretty easy in my opinion.

Totally agree. In an INGO-led totalitarian regime where you or I were sitting on the throne, I'm sure there would be no worries about the military pensions or the ability to make war.

Alas, that is not our form of gov't or society. We have to figure out how to accomplish the reforms in a larger context. That will not be easy.

This is also not a new issue for Americans, although the numbers are much bigger.

Bonus Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Just saw the news the politicians have decided to help out the military by cutting their generous pensions. These a---holes have absolutely no shame the entire bunch should be replaced.

Only a politician would call military retirement "generous"

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008

Tough decisions ..........

department of weights and measures
    department of protocol
    department of international studies
    deprtment of energy
    environmental protection agency
    congresses "generous retirement"
    jaunts
    conferences
    fact finding missions to the Bahamas
    Global Warming grants

in half an hour I could cut 15 to 20 percent of the budget just by getting rid of some of these
    http://www.usa.gov/directory/federal/index.shtml

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The idea is sound just so long as it only applies to soldiers that enlist AFTER this policy is adopted.

Kut (thinks people should know what theyre getting into)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, they have to support all those people that don't work, and give money to businesses, and research the mating habits of the Tetzie fly.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Okay folks, military retiree (reserve) here. The military retirement system changed at least once during my 39 year career (1970 - 2009 - or 2011 depending upon how you figure it). Just like when the police pension system changed in Indy, service members at some point will be grandfathered under the old system and new folks will come under the new system. I'm not certain what effect changing the retirement and benefits system will have on retention and enlistments, but you can bet your sweet Aunt Fanny that the military will look very closely at those issues, since they are heavy drivers in an all-volunteer force.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, a career in the military meant poor pay, but good benefits and pension.
    So, now we'll have poor pay, and poor benefits and pension.

sure, that's not a recipe for disaster.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I noted upon reading the Stars & Stripes article that SecDef mentioned that 80% of service members leave without any retirement benefits whatsoever (probably very true) and that the proposed changes would allow every service member to have some sort of retirement options to carry forward. That is probably a good idea in itself. I'm not very familiar with the efficacy of Tri-Care, having only been on it briefly. I'm eligible for "Tri-Care for Life" but frankly have no idea what sort of coverage it provides or at what cost, so I'm not certain if transitioning to civilian medical plans would be a help or a hindrance. Certainly the type of plans available under ObamaCare will be beyond the means of junior enlisted and officers and their families, though.

Top Bottom