• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Don't we have a thread that is literally devoted to making fun of people on the left? Why the faux outrage?

I do do not know of any faux outrage, the comments are very insulting and if delivered pertaining to one of Lemon's intersectional points would be called out as a whole host of isms. To me, part of making America great again is making hypocrisy a banish-able offense. In a great America if one said xxxx about the Clinton impeachment and now said yyyy, the public would turn their back on you, no reelection. No one would care anything further about what you have to say, cable would not hire you because the public would not trust you.

I am sick to death of hypocritical liars on all sides. Why the heck does society let them keep doing it?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do you really think that a thread in a gun thread is comparable to a "trusted news source" that is seen by millions...oops, my bad...thousands?

Yes, at least in thought. Two different mediums doing essentially the same thing. Sure one obviously has the better ability to reach the masses. Is that what makes one thing more acceptable than the other? I hope not.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Do you really think that a thread in a gun thread is comparable to a "trusted news source" that is seen by millions...oops, my bad...thousands?
    I think that we should also bear in mind that, unlike journalists, we are private citizens and do not have a code of ethics that obliges us to present facts in an impartial manner (https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp):
    Journalists should;
    – Support the open and civil exchange of views, even views they find repugnant
    – Avoid stereotyping. Journalists should examine the ways their values and experiences may shape their reporting.
    – Balance the public’s need for information against potential harm or discomfort. Pursuit of the news is not a license for arrogance or undue intrusiveness
    – Abide by the same high standards they expect of others.

It would also be disingenuous to compare a single state focused website dedicated to firearms, where there is a thread enabling people with all political opinions to share their views, to a nationally syndicated news outlet with specially selected and vetted guests.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I don’t mind at all that they laugh at the President or his supporters, but you can’t have it both ways. “I was just laughing at a joke” out of one side of their mouth, and “Dave Chappelle needs to be cancelled” out of the other. Pick one.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I think that we should also bear in mind that, unlike journalists, we are private citizens and do not have a code of ethics that obliges us to present facts in an impartial manner (https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp):
    Journalists should;
    – Avoid stereotyping. Journalists should examine the ways their values and experiences may shape their reporting.
    – Balance the public’s need for information against potential harm or discomfort. Pursuit of the news is not a license for arrogance or undue intrusiveness

It would also be disingenuous to compare a single state focused website dedicated to firearms, where there is a thread enabling people with all political opinions to share their views, to a nationally syndicated news outlet with specially selected and vetted guests.

:+1: This.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s fair enough to draw an equivalence just between people ridiculing each other and say it’s wrong for both. It’s also fair to say journalists participating in the ridicule, on air, ticks their wrongness up a few notches.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Journalists should;

Absolute truth here.
    There is no elitism in reading the news and pushing your personal agenda or the agenda of your employers from a bully pulpit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It’s fair enough to draw an equivalence just between people ridiculing each other and say it’s wrong for both. It’s also fair to say journalists participating in the ridicule, on air, ticks their wrongness up a few notches.

In this instance I would say way more than a few notches.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have never understood the Genesis of looking down on the backbone of our country and indeed our way of life. Why would a person that can't replace a fuse look down on the people that keep their car running. That question could be reformulated for many, plumber, electrician. Heck they can't even imagine doing more with meat than cooking a hamburger but look down on a butcher. Why look down on going to trade school? Where did this BS start that work you take a shower after is looked down upon?

We have beat the dead horse of higher education here many times, but I suspect it has to do with them, they denigrate the work they do not make money from is my best guess. I would caution that sometimes working folks can be just as condescending, to the paper pushers as they perceive them, as the other way is to them, but that just becomes a second wrong.

We we really need to get back to appreciating work and success, from all, in this country, that is another piece of the puzzle that is Make America Great Again...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Journalists should;

Journalists are also private citizens, and in the case of Don Lemon (an opinion talking head) enjoys every right and freedom that any other American has. The contention being made, is that because he's doing it with the power of private news entity backing him, it is somehow unfair to the folk who do the same thing albeit in a smaller venue, with a smaller audience. That's rubbish. Any person here, if so inclined, has the freedom to start their very own media business, and offer their views to the masses. If you choose to not do so and pursue other opportunities, fine, but don't complain about someone else who did put in the effort to have their voice heard.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have never understood the Genesis of looking down on the backbone of our country and indeed our way of life. Why would a person that can't replace a fuse look down on the people that keep their car running. That question could be reformulated for many, plumber, electrician. Heck they can't even imagine doing more with meat than cooking a hamburger but look down on a butcher. Why look down on going to trade school? Where did this BS start that work you take a shower after is looked down upon?

We have beat the dead horse of higher education here many times, but I suspect it has to do with them, they denigrate the work they do not make money from is my best guess. I would caution that sometimes working folks can be just as condescending, to the paper pushers as they perceive them, as the other way is to them, but that just becomes a second wrong.

We we really need to get back to appreciating work and success, from all, in this country, that is another piece of the puzzle that is Make America Great Again...

That genesis is rooted in a common human failing that most of us outgrow, using the belittling of others to enhance one's own self esteem. It may have become especially virulent among those who have spent 6 figures on an 'education' but struggle to find a job, or those in positions of (usually unelected regulatory) authority whose ideas don't and have never worked but who feed their delusions by ridiculing alternate ideas and methods

See: Greta

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Journalists are also private citizens, and in the case of Don Lemon (an opinion talking head) enjoys every right and freedom that any other American has. The contention being made, is that because he's doing it with the power of private news entity backing him, it is somehow unfair to the folk who do the same thing albeit in a smaller venue, with a smaller audience. That's rubbish. Any person here, if so inclined, has the freedom to start their very own media business, and offer their views to the masses. If you choose to not do so and pursue other opportunities, fine, but don't complain about someone else who did put in the effort to have their voice heard.

Now let me hear you admit that President Trump is also a private citizen, too, and "... enjoys every right and freedom that any other American has." Such as legal recourse for libel and defamation and the presumption of innocence, for example

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now let me hear you admit that President Trump is also a private citizen, too, and "... enjoys every right and freedom that any other American has." Such as legal recourse for libel and defamation and the presumption of innocence, for example

The president is also a private citizen and should have legal recourse for libel and defamation, as well as the presumption of innocence. See easy. :dunno:

Caveat, I agree with this only as long as the president would subject to the same penalties if he engaged in such behavior.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Poor Don Lemon is having a bad week. He just slipped, and called Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) a “d*ck”

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Let them keep it up. It was this disdain for us "flyover" folks from the left ("basket of deplorables" ring a bell?) that helped elect Trump in the first place. They haven't learned from that mistake obviously.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Let them keep it up. It was this disdain for us "flyover" folks from the left ("basket of deplorables" ring a bell?) that helped elect Trump in the first place. They haven't learned from that mistake obviously.

And in that vein, they still do not even know, much less understand the Trump voters and why they support a guy Kut could write a dissertation on why the shouldn't support.

Tens of thousands of people gathered in Southern New Jersey this week to see President Donald Trump in person. Americans the political professionals and pampered media-types loathe. Average, middle-class citizens who work hard and love their county shouldn’t be something to mock, but this is where we are.

I knew what anti-Trumpers and never-Trumpers thought about that scene. I knew they assumed the crowd was largely unemployed, toothless hicks with nothing better to do on a Tuesday. Or perhaps they were zealots full of hate who came to pay homage to their cult leader.

To make it okay to be proud of your country again,” she replied.
    These aren’t people projecting their hopes and dreams onto an American president imagining he’ll cure all their ills. They believe in the pursuit of happiness, not a guarantee. They like the country and see it as the greatest force for good on Earth, not a country flawed to the core needing to be torn down a notch or two.

Winning. Strength. Pride. Rugged individuals who want a leader who will leave them alone and defend their way of life. A life they want to lead as they see fit, not as they’re told or about which they should feel guilt.

Why is that something to ridicule? Why is that so hard to understand for those who pass for commentators on CNN?

https://townhall.com/columnists/chrisstigall/2020/01/30/theyre-the-reason-for-trump-rallies-n2560371

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Some people like to make themselves feel better by putting others down.
    A LOT of people.
    It's done by gender, race, economic status, job, etc.

Top Bottom