• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Went outside a bit ago to get something out of the car. Soon as I stepped off the porch I heard a turkey gobbling off to the south, a few seconds later another slightly to the west from the first, followed almost immediately by a third further west up the holler. Got the The Boss outside and we listened to them go back and forth for several minutes. I even tried a gobble myself with just my mouth and got one to answer back twice! :rockwoot:

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Have been hearing them for two weeks in Morgan County. Saw Toms strutting with a pack of hens last Saturday
    Agree, looking out back door last Saturday watched one BIG Tom strutting and another smaller Tom
    strutting with ladies running circles around him, fun to watch.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big tom in the back yard gobbling at the house while I'm eating breakfast this morning. Just teasing me before season.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    More passing through...there are actually three toms there. Kind of hard to see the third one as he is right next to the other.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    They was doin their thing in Owen county this morning. My buddy told me. I havent heard any in Vigo, Clay or Parke yet. I got 7 properties and all got birds! Im ready to go, guns are good to go also!!
    Pretty fired up myself!!

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I heard a few of my neighbors shooting shotguns today, I guess they are getting ready.
    I was working so hearing those shots made me want to quit working and double check my shotgun too.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    My uncle and I are going for the first time this year and have a property that has birds everywhere and the people that own it said as long as they've owned it nobody has turkey hunted it and they've had it for 40 plus years. Ive deer hunted it for the past 4 years and I hunt that property hard and kill many deer and don't remember one sit that we didn't see any turkeys

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My uncle and I are going for the first time this year and have a property that has birds everywhere and the people that own it said as long as they've owned it nobody has turkey hunted it and they've had it for 40 plus years. Ive deer hunted it for the past 4 years and I hunt that property hard and kill many deer and don't remember one sit that we didn't see any turkeys

I'll just go ahead and welcome you to the addiction now. I love deer hunting but I'd give it up if I had to pick between deer and turkey. Much more challenging and much more active the way we hunt them.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I saw a bird crossing 21st Street and Girls School Rd. in Indianapolis, Westside. That's my problem I see more game in the city than the woods.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Ive been told before that turkey hunting is great but I couldn't give deer hunting up for anything. I was told the same about duck and goose hunting so I went to Arkansas on a hunt and had a great time and killed a lot of birds but I haven't found anything to give me the rush I get deer hunting. Its not about the kill to me its all about the preparation, I love cutting new trails, and putting in food plots and mineral sites, hanging stands. The feeling I get when I hear the first twig break each year is unexplainable and It doesn't matter if its a small doe or a 150" buck especially if they come down a trail a made to funnel them to me and they hit that shooting lane I cut and release the arrow and It hits right where I wanted too is a high I don't think I could get from any drug. All the countless hours shooting and planning is my favorite part, sure I love harvesting a deer but that's just a small part of it for me

Top Bottom