Thing I sold is now in police possession.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I just learned that a completed lower I sold to someone a few weeks ago has been confiscated. The person claimed all his firearms were taken because he had an ND at home and someone called the police, and they suspected him of 'racketeering' since he had a number of them. My name is on the FFL transfer of the original purchase, but was sold via private sale. Do I need to worry at all about a knock on my door?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Probably.

If someone told me a story like that I'd back out of the sale.
    :scratch:

I think the story occurred after the sale.

You might get a knock on the door. Just tell them you sold it to the guy and be done with it. Is this guy a wheeler and dealer?
    Nevertheless, it's his problem, not yours; I wouldn't worry about it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yeah if someone told me that before hand i wouldn't have made the deal. It doesn't add up or make sense.

If they show up STFU, if they have their **** together when they get there STFU and contact a lawyer

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just learned that a completed lower I sold to someone a few weeks ago has been confiscated. The person claimed all his firearms were taken because he had an ND at home and someone called the police, and they suspected him of 'racketeering' since he had a number of them. My name is on the FFL transfer of the original purchase, but was sold via private sale. Do I need to worry at all about a knock on my door?
    That story sounds strange, did they all happen to be laid out on the coffee table when the police showed up or something? Did an ND prompt a search?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If you went through an FFL and the purchaser passed the BGC/got a "proceed", I would argue that any issue with the lawful possessor status of the buyer is on NICS and the FFL. You did due diligence.

That said: why would anyone ask questions when engaging in a private transfer? If you have suspicions, back out of the sale (or go through an FFL). Otherwise, absent evidence, there is the presumption that both parties are lawful possessors. Ask no questions, tell no lies, and maintain plausible deniability.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you went through an FFL and the purchaser passed the BGC/got a "proceed", I would argue that any issue with the lawful possessor status of the buyer is on NICS and the FFL. You did due diligence.
    It sounds like a dealer was involved when the OP bought it, but not when he sold it to Mr. Coonfinger.
    That said: why would anyone ask questions when engaging in a private transfer? If you have suspicions, back out of the sale (or go through an FFL). Otherwise, absent evidence, there is the presumption that both parties are lawful possessors. Ask no questions, tell no lies, and maintain plausible deniability.
    X2.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    :scratch:

I think the story occurred after the sale.

You might get a knock on the door. Just tell them you sold it to the guy and be done with it. Is this guy a wheeler and dealer?
    Nevertheless, it's his problem, not yours; I wouldn't worry about it.
    Yeah it happened after the sale. The guy said it happened yesterday. The sale happened a few weeks ago.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I know it's not the point of the post, but I don't get the part about the ND. Was this a failed attempt at a "boating accident?" (It reminds me of the Monty Python line: "She turned me into a newt once...well...I got better.")

It almost reads like he tried to cover up the ND by claiming someone else ND'ed a gun in his residence while in the process of taking his guns...and then the cops were like, "Um, that's funny, because I can still see a bunch of them right there in your closet?"

Glad I don't live downstairs from him/her. I once had an acquaintance who proudly showed me the bullet hole(s) in his apartment wall. Some people really need to stick to paintball.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That story doesn't add up, i suspect he is not being honest with you

if you had no reason to think he was an improper person and he is of age and Indiana resident you did nothing wrong. Now STFU

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Indiana Does NOT require paperwork or FFL to complete a private transaction.
    If the law shows up...either tell them you sold it, or lawyer up....either way, your in the clear
    If you have any correspondence, I would save it just in case.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What if the ND occurred in an apartment? That would certainly get LE's attention, putting citizens at risk, prompting that call to LE. LE shows up, wants to know how a hole got in the ceiling of the apartment downstairs, yada yada yada, where's the gun?

cbickel - you've done nothing illegal.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My buddy bought 28 lowers last year and wsa slowly putting them together for himself and as gifts to family and friends. Would he have been suspected of racketeering just because he had so many lowers and parts?

Also a handgun I sold about 9 years ago was confiscated in Arizona. It was not used in a crime but the person who had it was just carrying it as Arizona is open carry state. I was contacted for about 15 secs at my door told them i sold it don't remember who it was and they left.

Last edited:

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    My buddy bought 28 lowers last year and wsa slowly putting them together for himself and as gifts to family and friends. Would he have been suspected of racketeering just because he had so many lowers and parts?
    I think that would depend on what local agency he was dealing with. In some places a half dozen firearms and a few hundred rounds are looked at like a full blown arsenal. Is he doing anything wrong, probably not, but that does mean they will not come up with something.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Also a handgun I sold about 9 years ago was confiscated in Arizona. It was not used in a crime but the person who had it was just carrying it as Arizona is open carry state. I was contacted for about 15 secs at my door told them i sold it don't remember who it was and they left.
    Methinks there's more to the story.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

Hopefully that’s a hypothetical buddy right? That’s enough AR’s to equip an infantry platoon. Not that it’s anybody’s business in my opinion.

Top Bottom