• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    LOTS OF AMMO YOU CAN ALWAYS TAKE SOMEONES FOOD AND WATER THAT DID NOT PREPARE TO DEFEND THEIR FOOD AND WATER

Must have been a joke right?!? Nobody would really post something like that and mean it - could they?!? If so, you can start your practice drills over here... and we'll start ours. A family that shoots together survives together.

By the way, I fixed your misspellings

Eagle_Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    The next thing on my list is a good generator. I know it is very important. The wife is without work and Iam still buy things. I stock Plenty of ammo. The reason some meat is frozen and some is non-parisheable is because i know frozen has to be maintained and non-parisheable is much more foregiving. My water is limited to this amount currently because i can keep this amount out of the way in a closet. Outside it will freeze during the cold season. All of my preps now don't currently cover a teotwawki scenario, but they cover most situations. I know there is practically know limit to how much more prepared a person can be and how much more things people can buy. All of my money isnt on me, only a part. I also invest money in things that i know gain value, for example, ammo can be sold for more than i bought it for under certain circumstances. I have not listed everything I do to be prepared. I didnt want to write 5 paragraphs, but these are the most obvious things. I welcome all comments. This is a great place to interact and give and accept advice on things that most people dont think about. I ALWAYS carry a knife in case my gun is not in my hand or on my person. iam currently preparing a good emergency pack for both of our vehicles. My wife of 3 years never thought about being prepared for things like I do. I have a task on my hands just teaching her and bringing the point home. I have made some progress. Many people think nothing bad can happen to us because we live in America. NOt true. Another thing I thought of is it might be a good idea under Certain circumstances to desroy my pc hardrive. I know that people who know what they are doing can find out so many things about you from your pc, even things that you have deleated. Thanks to all. Iam not a newcomer to being prepared, but Iam not too wealthy. under 11 dollars per hour.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    For all you bleach discussers here, the topic is also being discussed here

Pay attention to page two (NC Lee and Mad__Professor) we may get a titrate test of 1 year old bleach to test the it goes bad theory and it won't cost any of us a dime.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Along this line of thinking, is anyone aware of a source for a manual well pump? Not the old lever action but something that can go deeper. I figure since I am on a well it could provide drinking water for a long time if I can get to it.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Keeping any amount of cash on hand is a bad idea; ...

Have NO cash on hand is a bad idea, IMHO. Despite the fact that it is devaluing constantly; it is, and will continue to be, the primary means of exchange under short term disruption of public services.

Good luck trading 1000 rounds of .223 for whatever staples you may need during the next big ice storm. Sure, perhaps if there is a HUGE SHTF event, bartering may take the forefront of public exchange... but cash should still be part of your prepping, as the smaller events are more likely to be encountered.

(this is not advice to close all banking accounts, liquidate retirement funds, etc... just have an emergency fund of cash in your house or otherwise accessible)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Yes, money is good to have around. I drilled holes in some coins nearly 30 years ago and used them as washers. Best washers ever, they are still working and have yet to rust. I've replaced the nuts and bolts several times, but those washers are still there.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Small Sum

I keep a small sum of money in the house and a small sum on my person for emergencies but beyond that if I have extra cash I prefer to turn into into gear like food and ammo. To me cash is a "three day plan" item. It is useful in shorter SHTF scenarios but less desirable in longer ones due to inflation or even total loss of value.

One maxim is that the store can't raise the price on something you already bought. Inflation can make your hoarded cash worthless overnight, but your canned green beans will hold their value relative to the economy.

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    Keeping money on hand sounds like a great idea. It really just depends on the situation. If there a really serious SHTF situation and civilization is pretty much done for, then money will play no part in helping you. The upside is atleast you will have something to help in starting a fire. I think a lot of the ideas mentioned here are great, and to all the guys who are mentioning the idea of preserving meats are well on top of their game. They will be enjoying the great taste of meat, while others are enjoying a nice mouthful of pork and beans from the can.:yesway:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    to all the guys who are mentioning the idea of preserving meats are well on top of their game. They will be enjoying the great taste of meat, while others are enjoying a nice mouthful of pork and beans from the can.
    I think you may have the wrong idea about preserving meat. Yes, it is a priceless skill. The idea of preserving meat is not to have a surplus of meat, but to keep it from spoiling between the time you harvest it and the time you use it. While there will always be another animal to harvest, when you take a deer, you aren't going to eat the whole thing before it spoils. Take a deer (or other animal), use what you can while it's fresh, and salt or smoke the rest so you can use it rather than letting it rot and be wasted. Preserving meat is not an act of preparing, rather having the ABILITY to preserve meat is an act of preparedness.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Oh, by the way, does anyone here know how to safely harvest and eat things like opossum and other animals that are scavengers/carrion eaters?

The best advice I've heard is that it must be captured alive and kept fed for 30 days to clean the toxins from its system before it can safely be eaten.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Don't Know

I don't know if that is for the disease or for the flavor. I've read recommendations about feeding them cereal and such before killing them. I know that some guys around here shoot them and barbeque them so they aren't waiting. I haven't had the barbeque but I've heard its not too good. I know that people will often put catfish in a trough and feed them corn meal for several days to improve flavor. My guess is that's more of a taste thing and that if it is properly dressed and cooked that it would be safe. But that's just a guess!

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    coons and possums are really greasey, got to boil them before you bake them. doga will give really bad body odor, and well cats..........just taste like chicken. Just joking .....Don't treat me like BUCKY

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think you may have the wrong idea about preserving meat. Yes, it is a priceless skill. The idea of preserving meat is not to have a surplus of meat, but to keep it from spoiling between the time you harvest it and the time you use it. While there will always be another animal to harvest, when you take a deer, you aren't going to eat the whole thing before it spoils. Take a deer (or other animal), use what you can while it's fresh, and salt or smoke the rest so you can use it rather than letting it rot and be wasted. Preserving meat is not an act of preparing, rather having the ABILITY to preserve meat is an act of preparedness.

It's a skill I need to aquire. But another place were it could come in handy is if you lost your power for more than a few days, you might want to turn your frozen meats and goodies into some other form before it spoils, time and circumstances allowing.

Another person mentioned using a generator to run a dehydrator. If you figured the amount of time involved with that process vs. fuel cost you might think of another method such as a solar dehydrator, or using wood or some other, more readily aquired fuel.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    dehydrator

I posted about the dehydrator. My plan in the case of a major power outage involves powering my deep freezes off of a generator. I would use the gas grill, charcoal grill, and smoker to start preserving as much meat as possible. (Again this is a SHTF situation where no relief is in sight.) So long as I am powering the generator for the deep freezes I figure I might as well run the dehydrator (along with maybe the food saver and pressure cooker) to speed up the process.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Oh, by the way, does anyone here know how to safely harvest and eat things like opossum and other animals that are scavengers/carrion eaters?

The best advice I've heard is that it must be captured alive and kept fed for 30 days to clean the toxins from its system before it can safely be eaten.

Out my way, road kill gets picked up real fast. Could be the highway crews, but I often wonder........

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Along this line of thinking, is anyone aware of a source for a manual well pump? Not the old lever action but something that can go deeper. I figure since I am on a well it could provide drinking water for a long time if I can get to it.

Some of these pumps will pull water up from 300’ deep.

Bison Hand Pumps
    Oasis Pumps
    Survival Unlimited

I would love to have a Bison pump on my place. Maybe someday.

Bucky

Top Bottom