• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm out in Missouri with my wife visiting her family for Thanksgiving. Yesterday my father-in-law, my wife's brother-in-law, my wife's grandfather and I all go out to a local range to go shooting. While there, my brother-in-law first decides to start messing with his guns while 1) the range is cold and 2) people are actually still down range. There's no official range officer, but the guy next to him started yelling at him pretty quick. After the range goes hot, my brother-in-law then proceeds to pull out his latest purchase, a .50 revolver and tells me that it doesn't matter where you hit someone with this, they will die anyway.

I spent the rest of the time ignoring him, but what really got my attention was when we were back at the house. My wife said that she's going to be taking an NRA Basic Handgun class soon. He said that there's no point in taking a handgun class of any type because it will just make you more afraid of guns (he never says why this is the case). He then says that he's just going to take his wife out, show her how the safety works, and teach her how the gun. That, in his opinion, is all the training that she will ever need in handguns.

So, what's the craziest firearms related thing that you've seen your relatives say or do?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Most of my relatives (at least on my side) are gun people. Other then their clinging to the idea that revolvers are the only handguns reliable enough for self defense I can't say they have ever made any ridiculous comments. And just for the record if they want to pack snubbies around then so be it.

The gun conversation doesn't come up on my wife's side of the family. Some are gun owners, some would just as soon ban them all. Then there is me. ;)

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I don't hear a lot of silliness from either side. My wife did remark once that we don't need rifles, they are only killing machines. Pistols were somehow OK though. Don't worry, she eventually came around...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I successfully bit my tounge when my BIL was recommending a .38 snub as a "belly gun" best defense gun for our 19 year old niece. :rolleyes:

Good example. A snub nose .38 is a great choice. I have one in my pocket right now. But they are just one out of several excellent choices.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    my cousin really showed her colors when she decided all she wanted to do was gossip about others in the family and the area. the ignorant racist crap she spewed was genuinely embarrassing. i wonder what crap she said after i left with my Lebanese girlfriend.

Zombieman34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wells, Co
    My ex-brother in law says pretty much the same thing untill he had to take a class to get carry permit for Ohio. Then all of a sudden it was great idea to take a class.

Went shooting with him and his dad before and their gun handling skill are very lax.

Other family members are dont ask dont tell when it comes to firearms.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    When I first got my GP100, my brother's (now ex) wife used to brag about her colt anaconda until one day I asked if I could see it, maybe take it to the range and shoot it. Half a dozen excuses of someone else was holding it for her then never another word. As Jerry Clower would put it, she would climb a tree to tell you a lie when she could just stand on the ground and tell the truth.

Brushscrubber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I went back to Illinois to her dad's farm for the day. We had a lot of family there. I OC all day around the farm and in the house. Her dad, BIL, family friend, and I sat around talking guns, economy, crime, government and a whole lot of other BS. After dinner I ran into town for something real quick, when I came back we went out back, set up a target, and had a little fun firing my G21. It was during this time her dad informed me that my wife's uncle did not like me having the gun, I guess he called me stupid. Unfortunately the little coward left before I got back from town (probably on purpose). Her dad and I laughed at him stating that the way crime keeps going up he will be the one who will get victimized and we will be able to look back and say who is the stupid one now. Her dad hasn't ever had a handgun but has been considering getting one for the past year and he had a lot of fun firing the .45. All in all it was a good day, I at least only had to travel into Illinois 1 mile to get to the farm, since it resides that close to the state line.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Only two things my in-laws ever say to me is I need a "loan" to pay my:

*Mortgage :ugh:
    *Car payment :ugh:
    *Bail :ugh:
    *Rent :ugh:
    *Hospital bill :ugh:
    *Misc. :ugh:

Or "I thought that was a gift"

At least they have never complained about my firearms.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    When discussing with the mother-in-law the fact I am researching reloading presses... "oh, my 1st husband and I used to reload all the time. It was fun!"

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    Just this thanksgiving my wife was at her parents house ( i had to work) My wife made some reference to Obama being anti-gun. My father in law proceeded to tell her that he has never heard that on the news or read that in the newspaper. And followed with, someone must have heard him say something about getting guns out of the criminals hands, and turned it around on him. :scratch:

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My relatives know better than to say anything. :-)

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My relatives on the wifes side are not gun people but they know we are and offer no advice or criticism. They know better.
    My sister is a gun person and is an ingo member. We shoot together a lot. She listens and is learning as is her daughter and step daughters.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Just this thanksgiving my wife was at her parents house ( i had to work) My wife made some reference to Obama being anti-gun. My father in law proceeded to tell her that he has never heard that on the news or read that in the newspaper. And followed with, someone must have heard him say something about getting guns out of the criminals hands, and turned it around on him. :scratch:

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Wow...

I can't believe someone would misrepresent him like that...

Yeah, because if the news didn't report it, it didn't happen.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I am the designated firearm guy in the family. I keep people from spouting BS and they know that, therefore nobody tries telling me the usual "gunz r baaaad" or "you're too young to own guns".

My girlfriend of two years however says: "It's not that I don't like guns, it's that I don't like that YOU have guns." What a funny girl. :):

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I am the designated firearm guy in the family. I keep people from spouting BS and they know that, therefore nobody tries telling me the usual "gunz r baaaad" or "you're too young to own guns".

My girlfriend of two years however says: "It's not that I don't like guns, it's that I don't like that YOU have guns." What a funny girl. :):

Gurlz r baaaad. You're too young to have a girlfriend.:D

Why doesn't she like that you have guns?

Top Bottom