• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I broke the decapping pin for my lee die below the expansion ball. Now I just use that for sizing and it doesn't matter if it's primed or not. Depriming I use the universal deprimer before cleaning.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Get yourself a vacuum with a hose attachment.

Get yourself some hosiery.

Stretch said hosiery over the nozzle of the hose attachment & secure with rubber bands.

Turn vacuum on.

Powder will stick to the hosiery. Once it's "full", you point the nozzle over a receptacle, turn off the power, let the powder fall into the receptacle.

Also works for tiny lost springs.

Good tip!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tactically Fat again."

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    A brass magnet
    YES! I thought about this later after I posted! Great idea, I really need one of those to get the brass from the gravel/rock ranges.

Technically, this is possible but would be expensive and complicated. The trick is that both the brass and the magnets have to be moving, and then the brass is repelled instead of attracted. They use something like this in recycling to separate aluminum from steel and other debris. The permanent magnets are mounted in a spinning drum, typically at the end of a conveyor, and the mix of brass and stuff is transported off the end. The spinning drum repels the non-ferrous metals and "kicks" it into a bin. The ferrous metal is held by the magnet and is pulled back into a second bin, and the remaining debris drops straight down and isn't impacted by the magnetics. I could see mounting something on a riding mower that scrapes up the top inch or two of gravel, puts it on the conveyor and pulls out all the brass and steel, and then drops the gravel back where it was picked up from.

IMO the biggest issue is the range isn't going to like you disturbing all the gravel in the site. In all likelihood, if a range has enough volume where this would be considered, pouring concrete or laying asphalt is probably a better solution.

--Rick

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    IMO the biggest issue is the range isn't going to like you disturbing all the gravel in the site. In all likelihood, if a range has enough volume where this would be considered, pouring concrete or laying asphalt is probably a better solution.

I know at the range that I frequent (Atlanta Conservation Club) they hammer shooter's boxes and boards and walls, etc. for matches into the ground, so concrete of asphalt is not really an option. Plus, all the heat reflection and it is hard on your knees when you are running around during IDPA or USPSA.

I tend to throw out a tarp or two for my brass to land on on when practicing, and just bought a small Caldwell brass trap for when I am just standing still:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/771785/caldwell-universal-brass-trap

Going to mount it on a tripod. Not sure how well it works yet, but I am getting to old to be bending over retrieving brass in the hot sun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know at the range that I frequent (Atlanta Conservation Club) they hammer shooter's boxes and boards and walls, etc. for matches into the ground, so concrete of asphalt is not really an option. Plus, all the heat reflection and it is hard on your knees when you are running around during IDPA or USPSA.

I tend to throw out a tarp or two for my brass to land on on when practicing, and just bought a small Caldwell brass trap for when I am just standing still:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/771785/caldwell-universal-brass-trap

Going to mount it on a tripod. Not sure how well it works yet, but I am getting to old to be bending over retrieving brass in the hot sun.
    Those brass catchers work pretty well if placed close enough to the shooter and if the gun ejects consistently to the right. Bullseye pistol shooters use them.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Those brass catchers work pretty well if placed close enough to the shooter and if the gun ejects consistently to the right. Bullseye pistol shooters use them.

Thanks. I hope to try it in the next day or two. It wont work for every situation, but for the plate rack, or a Bill Drill, it should come in handy if I am stationary. Even if I get 75% of the brass, and the rest lands on the tarp, that is a huge improvement over what I am doing now.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks. I hope to try it in the next day or two. It wont work for every situation, but for the plate rack, or a Bill Drill, it should come in handy if I am stationary. Even if I get 75% of the brass, and the rest lands on the tarp, that is a huge improvement over what I am doing now.
    A buddy of mine who picks up a lot of brass each week, swears by this:https://www.amazon.com/32-Reacher-Grabber-Pick-Stick/dp/B0016P1VT2 I watched him use it and he is quite proficient!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Something to sort .380, 9mm and .40

These work really well:

https://amazon.com/Shell-Sorter-380...8&qid=1503663266&sr=8-1&keywords=shell+sorter

And then add this plate to get the .380's out of the 9mm's:

amazon.com/Shell-SorterTM-38-Super-plate/dp/B01DKVY5GK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503663266&sr=8-2&keywords=shell+sorter

Seems kinda pricey at first, and I balked for a long time. Now that I have this setup, I could not live without it! Saves a ton of time, and works very, very well.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    These work really well:

https://amazon.com/Shell-Sorter-380...8&qid=1503663266&sr=8-1&keywords=shell+sorter

amazon.com/Shell-SorterTM-38-Super-plate/dp/B01DKVY5GK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503663266&sr=8-2&keywords=shell+sorter

Seems kinda pricey at first, and I balked for a long time. Now that I have this setup, I could not live without it! Saves a ton of time, and works very, very well.

Yes! These are totally worth the price. You can do a five gallon bucket of mixed brass in less than an hour!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    These work really well:

Except if you shoot an unsupported chamber like a Glock.

I have the .380 plate and its worthless with my G42. The cases bulge just enough that they dont fall through the plate.

But the 3 sorting buckets work well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom