Things to do in Pigeon Forge, TN besides the usual...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Doesn't sound like the timing will work, but Knoxville is just a few miles away. Catching a UT Vols football game would be a spectacle to see. They've got 3 home games in September.

PF and Sevierville have grown so much. I can still remember when they had a couple of putt-putt things and some iffy motels and that was it. Have fun!.. It'll be hazy, hot, and humid just like here.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I 2nd going to Asheville, NC. If you like artsy stuff, want to visit the Biltmore or visit brew pubs that also allow family dining, Asheville is where it is at (sic).

For the best steaks in Gatlinburg, go to Calhoun's and order the red ale steak. Ask for extra butter. I am not kidding.

For the best non-seasoned steak, call 2 hours ahead and ask for a seat "riverside" at The Peddler. Expect to spend at least 55 bucks for 2.

My wife really enjoys going to the Arts and Crafts loop. We always visit Brandywine Pottery and walk out with some of the most beautiful pottery. Brandy makes, fashions and bakes the pottery while her husband is the salesman and shop keep. He has dreads, majors in philosophy and has one excellent sense of humour. He remembers my face but not my name each time we go there. We have some absolutely beautiful pieces of functional pottery from there. I had a beer stein made there and I treasure it dearly.

Back to the beer... there is an 'authentic' English-style pub called the Fox and the Parrot. Families are allowed and they have DARTS!!!

I love to go hiking or just kicking my feet in the cool mountain steams. That may be hard to do with little ones.

Hope that helps the next time you go.

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    We just got back from there last week. If your into knives hit Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville. I would suggest taking a drive through the Smokies if they have gotten the storm mess cleaned up. Wonder Works was pretty cool, tickets are pricey though. My main suggestion is to find the route the locals take to avoid the hustle and bustle on the main drag. If you dont you will spend more time in the car than anything else. Its a nice trip but way, way to busy for my personality.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We always hit the Smokie Mtn Brewery, just behind Calhouns, as soon as we roll into town, usually getting there about 11:30, just in time for them to open for lunch. A few Whitewater wheat beers always help me unwind after the drive down. Another thing that has become a tradition for us is to either drive up to Ober Gatlinburg, or take the tram/cable car up. It's fun to watch people ice skating while enjoying a soft serve ice cream cone, and the chair lift takes you on a nice relaxing ride WAY up to the top of the Mtn.

Oh, and we always go to Cades Cove very early in the morning, almost zero traffic, and always see plenty of wildlife. The Roaring Fork nature trail is also a must do, it's a one way loop just outside of Gatlinburg city limits, and we always see Bears there.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    There is a Bass Pro not that far away in Kodak. I always enjoy horse back riding. There's a place that rents Jeeps. Rent one and hit some of the trail type roads in the cove.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Here you go. Leave them in pigeon Forge or in the motel room, wherever..

2012 Match Schedule - orsahp

After the match go to Big Ed's for some of the finest pizza in the country. and some beers..... The Marine Rifle team or the Army Rifle team might be hanging out there, if you are lucky....

All of this about 20 minutes west of Pigeon Forge in Oak Ridge.

They shoot out to 1,000 yards at ORSA. I don't travel unless I know I can shoot a match at the other end of the trip. Wife and kids can go off and do whatever they want as long as I can spend a day on the range without listening to them whine about whatever....

Last edited:

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Here you go. Leave them in pigeon Forge or in the motel room, wherever..

2012 Match Schedule - orsahp

After the match go to Big Ed's for some of the finest pizza in the country. and some beers..... The Marine Rifle team or the Army Rifle team might be hanging out there, if you are lucky....

All of this about 20 minutes west of Pigeon Forge in Oak Ridge.

They shoot out to 1,000 yards at ORSA. I don't travel unless I know I can shoot a match at the other end of the trip. Wife and kids can go off and do whatever they want as long as I can spend a day on the range without listening to them whine about whatever....

it's actually about 1 hour and 20 minutes from pigeon forge area (about 20 minutes off 75 @ exit 122). if you go watch for the ticket cameras on the turnpike. they have a speed trap set up with a camera and a few red light cameras too.
    there is also alot of history in oak ridge. the museum of science and energy is there. great family outing.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.

a great place to ride or drive if your not in big truck!

This is from my trip last year..

9-11-2011dealsgap3.jpg

9-11-2011dealsgap4.jpg

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Ah, the Great Smoky Mountains. We went every spring break when I was growing up. I've been back three times since, and am planning a fourth trip next year. So many things have changed throughout the years, but some things are still the same, and some of the new things are well worth a stop.

The Smoky Mountain Brewery is worth a stop. They have pretty good beer.

Check out the Old Mill restaurant. I'd go for a late lunch instead of dinner. The prices are better, and the food is basically the same.

Gatlinburg has a moonshine store that has free samples. It's towards the end of the strip, closer to the entrance to the park.

If you go to the Smoky Mountain Knifeworks, be sure to go across the street to the Lodge Cast Iron outlet store. They have decent prices on their cook ware, but the real deals are on "factory second" items. They are still completely usable, and you get a good discount.

The Gatlinburg Community Center is a great place to take a swim. It's $2 per person, and is mostly only used by locals. From their website, it looks like they will be closed during part of August, so I'm not sure if it conflicts with your trip. Another good thing about the Community Center is that if you pay the $2 to swim, you get access to the locker room showers. It's only a 20 minute drive from the Elkmont campground in the park (no showers), so when camping we always had access to hot showers.

Top Bottom