Things to keep in mind as I work on rifle skills.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The RR method of teaching rifle skills is a slow process of instruction then application. There are plenty of breaks with sitting in chairs.

Most of the first day is spent in the prone position. But if you have difficulties getting into this position (or any position as they teach standing and sitting positions too), they are well versed in modifying the program to work with people who have physical limitations. If you know ahead of time that you have any special needs, let the Event Director know when you sign up so that they can be prepared.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd bench that 10/22 and test a couple diff ammo types.
    And ditto on a smaller aiming point on the steel.
    Young eyes, 100 w irons should be good.
    I liked the factory sights when I was a kid.

Add a buffer and a Volq hammer and maybe have something decent.

See a lot of folks shooting steel, it's the new thing I guess. But I bet a lot of the folks I've seen at the club, never really tested their gear to see what they had.
    Was just "good enough to make pings".

Hey as long as theyre having fun.......but they (new shooters) really don't seem to want to push themselves to be better shots.

Casual observation. Obviously some differ.

My thoughts too.
    You'll never really know what the gun, or you, are capable of until you minimize the variables.
    The biggest variable after you and the rifle is the ammo, and we all know rimfires especially can be ammo picky.

Sit down at a bench on the range.
    Run the same targets, at the same range with different ammo choices.
    Try not just different brands, but also different projectile weights, and power factors.
    Run enough of each to determine which your gun likes best.

Once you've found your guns choice of ammo, the rest will be MUCH easier to dial in.
    If you use ever changing ammo choices, you're fighting an uphill battle that you may never be able to climb.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My thoughts too.
    You'll never really know what the gun, or you, are capable of until you minimize the variables.
    The biggest variable after you and the rifle is the ammo, and we all know rimfires especially can be ammo picky.

Sit down at a bench on the range.
    Run the same targets, at the same range with different ammo choices.
    Try not just different brands, but also different projectile weights, and power factors.
    Run enough of each to determine which your gun likes best.

Once you've found your guns choice of ammo, the rest will be MUCH easier to dial in.
    If you use ever changing ammo choices, you're fighting an uphill battle that you may never be able to climb.

During my last RR rifle class I was wondering why I was struggling to qualify, then someone asked what ammo I was using. Good old Remington Bucket o Bullets. Certainly not the best choice, and far from consistent.

I did manage to earn my badge, but barely. Next time I will be bringing better ammo.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The RR method of teaching rifle skills is a slow process of instruction then application. There are plenty of breaks with sitting in chairs.
    Most of the first day is spent in the prone position. But if you have difficulties getting into this position (or any position as they teach standing and sitting positions too), they are well versed in modifying the program to work with people who have physical limitations. If you know ahead of time that you have any special needs, let the Event Director know when you sign up so that they can be prepared.

Good to know, thanks. :thumbsup:
    Back & neck movements restricted, especially neck, not sure I can lay prone & arch back and lift neck up to look through a scope.
    I'll try it out at home to see if its even a possibility.
    If not, that'll be the end of my rifle training, unless it can get done on a bench. :dunno:
    I was fortunate enough that a member here took the time twice over at MCF&G orienting some basic points about the kind of rifle stock I needed, sighting in my scope & some positioning on a bench.

I'm sure I also need pistol shooting training, since my list of bad habits of shooting by myself 99% of the time w/o feedback. :ar15:
    Early on I took 3-4 classes handgun classes at Point Blank in Carmel & Greenwwod, but none really dealt with the details about shooting, more basic safety & gun handling, with an all day-class in Columbus, but it wasn't a range class either.
    I did some shooting with Rhino once & he gave me some pointers, which was great.
    Next time I shoot with someone I'm going to make sure I ask what I can correct in what I'm doing.

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Good to know, thanks. :thumbsup:
    Back & neck movements restricted, especially neck, not sure I can lay prone & arch back and lift neck up to look through a scope.
    I'll try it out at home to see if its even a possibility.
    If not, that'll be the end of my rifle training, unless it can get done on a bench. :dunno:

Proper cheek weld is a big factor in comfort and accuracy. If neck strain/pain is an issue, and if you want to immediately improve accuracy, get a stock with an adjustable comb, or get a stock pack/pad with vet-wrap/something similar.

Ideally when you're behind the rifle, the only muscles that should be working are your diaphragm, your eyelids, and your trigger finger. Depending on rifle type and shooting style, that may be expanded to the other fingers on your trigger hand gripping the rifle. No other muscles should be involved after NPOA is established.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The 22LR Blazer is actually decent ammunition, especially at it's price point.

Once, when trying out 3 different ammo brands in one of my Ruger 10/22, the Blazer edged out my CCI SV, which surprised me.
    I don't have the distance marked here, which I normally do, but depending on the range, it was either 50' or 75': I suspect is was only 50' since I don't think I shoot this well at 75'.
    :dunno:
    d0uNgYl.jpg

Proper cheek weld is a big factor in comfort and accuracy.
    If neck strain/pain is an issue, and if you want to immediately improve accuracy, get a stock with an adjustable comb, or get a stock pack/pad with vet-wrap/something similar.

I have the Ruger Precision Rifle that has the adjustable comb, which helps, but it is too thick & doesn't go low enough for me.
    I learned that I need a short stock (like for youth, 12 inches), and one with a large drop in the comb angle (sorry about terminology if confusing/incorrect).
    My 10/22 does OK for short-term shooting but would not be suitable for a long day.
    The RPR I can adjust the comb forward to nearly out of my way, which helps.

Ideally when you're behind the rifle, the only muscles that should be working are your diaphragm, your eyelids, and your trigger finger.
    Depending on rifle type and shooting style, that may be expanded to the other fingers on your trigger hand gripping the rifle.
    No other muscles should be involved after NPOA is established.

My neck does take the brunt of it. :oldwise:

Top Bottom