• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Funky quirk about the small Mules. They are VERY sensitive to being over filled with oil. They will bog and drag like a heavy load is on them. And I'm not talking a full quart over I mean just barely above the full line and they will do this. Keep it in the middle of the hash marks and it will be fine. Also (this applys to all Mules) the four wheel drive is like an old truck with lock outs, meant to be used as needed in low speed then disengaged, not engaged 24/7 and driven daily at full speed. You will hear a load and sudden BANG and feel a hard jerk then keep moving forward. That is a throw over mechanism meant to keep the drive shaft from over running the gearing in the front differential and causing damage. This trow over mechanism however will not save it forever as it is more a last ditch effort to get the driver to slow down or disengage 4wd than anything.

Other than that those old 500 series Mules are great machines. I've seen some with thousands of hours on them and still running strong and they are governed differently than the newer 610 models so they are considerably faster than the new ones despite sharing essentially the same engine.

Oh and the drive belt is a bear to change. You have to remove the entire rear driver side suspension so just be aware of that when it needs replaced.

Thanks for the good advice...It's not 4wd and my wife was insisting on keeping the posi on...I talked her out of it but it took a couple of weeks....It's a fun little toy for certain....We have got a 5 mile gravel road loop that you would swear you were in Cades Cove in the Smokies rather than Southern Indiana that my daughter insists we do at least once in the am and once in the pm.....

Thanks again Sir....CM says "you the man" on such things and CM knows how to tell who's the man....:)

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    Kawitech is full of great information! Thanks for being an honest fair mechanic in the powesports world, I no longer turn wrench's but his list of things to check for is excellent and very detailed to the point if it's not something you do everyday could be highlighted and taken as a checklist. Only thing I would really add is don't be afraid to take your time examining a unit or being to excited to get one. Also if the seller isn't willing to spend the time to let you examine it, it's probably has bigger issues than visible. If your looking for a project like your first postime than ask to take the valve cover off. It's probably half apart anyways. Also I'd like to +1 for old Hondas but I'd also like one of the mid size prairies in my garage they are also great machines. The old grizzlies are a little bit more powerful but are dime a dozen and fairly simple to work on also, if not running but has compression they are know for stators going out. I know someone else recommended an old Polaris but from my personal experience I probably wouldn't own one, the. It took them a little while to get on board with industry standards of doing things.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I too run a Mule 3010. That dude will haul a half rick of wood and is very handy for use around the farm. Thanks Kawtech for explaining the throw over process of the 4x4. I always wondered what that was.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    A good used ATV is extremely hard to find. I just picked up an 04 ArcticCat 300 4x4. It only has 500 miles on it adult driven. Needed a CV boot, battery, and a tune up. Thing is awesome! Much better than Honda of same year.

Look for garage kept, low miles, adult driven, and maintained.

Here is another tip when going to look. Look at the persons property, vehicle, garage, mower. Other things around will also help tell the story of the life the quad lived. Ask if any kids rode it.

Do your homework on particular models. All have some weAK point. I personally like ArcticCat, Honda, Yamaha, and maybe a Suzuki. Babbits is a decent sorcerer of parts. Bought a ton from Dennis Kirk aswell.

Bounce it around and shake it. Look at shock bushings, bearings, cables, most of all how does it run. Be real picky as most are trying to offload a problem worn out old crap machine.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for all the great advice guys! Its exactly what I was looking for.

I'm going to be in the <2000 price point as it will be sitting at my brothers house who I only get up there maybe 2-3X a year...figure leave it for him and my little brother to tool around on too. Maybe someday we'll buy more land down here someday and move it back down.

After we figure out my wife's job situation...I'll be looking harder this fall. Lots of one's in my price range popping up for sale.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I'm so old- I had a Honda ATC 250R 3 wheeler. That sucker would climb walls it had so much power. I wish it was sitting in my folks' barn under a tarp. But alas, my father sold it way back when I was in college.

:fogey:

Back to the original OP question. Sorry for the 'senior moment' story telling.

Mine was an '83 Kawasaki KLT 250. Only thing that would stop it was snow deep enough to bury the front tire.

Top Bottom