• You...

• Total voters

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So the guy interested in my craigslist item wanted to pay using PayPal. It didn't take much of a Google search to convince me this was a scam waiting to happen. Might have lost a legit $1400 sale, might have saved myself a whole lot of aggravation. Willing to gamble it was the latter.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    So the guy interested in my craigslist item wanted to pay using PayPal. It didn't take much of a Google search to convince me this was a scam waiting to happen. Might have lost a legit $1400 sale, might have saved myself a whole lot of aggravation. Willing to gamble it was the latter.

He sends paypal, you send the item, he claims he never got it, and paypal takes your money and gives it back to him. You're out the item and the money and he just got a $1400 item for free. I'd say you dodged a scam.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I have a love/hate relationship with craigslist. I have a car listed on there, and I sold m last car on there. I swear I didnt get half the crap im getting with this one when I sold the last car on there. Its ridiculous.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I know the folks who operate PayPal are less than enthusiastic about guns in general if not outright hoplophobic, but I have used PayPal for several years without any issues. All disputes have been handled equitably. Whenever I send someone an item after they pay me using PayPal, I ship with Delivery Confirmation / Priority Mail [if using the US postal service], and insure any item over $100.00. Folks generally don't claim delivery failure if they have to sign for a package to receive it. :twocents:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I know the folks who operate PayPal are less than enthusiastic about guns in general if not outright hoplophobic, but I have used PayPal for several years without any issues. All disputes have been handled equitably. Whenever I send someone an item after they pay me using PayPal, I ship with Delivery Confirmation / Priority Mail [if using the US postal service], and insure any item over $100.00. Folks generally don't claim delivery failure if they have to sign for a package to receive it. :twocents:

It's not a firearm, and it's not a shippable item. They would have to come over and pick it up. My fear is that they'd pick it up and then tell their credit card company to reverse the charge, which it seems is very easy to do and PayPal doesn't do much to protect the seller from.

That might not have been enough, but the guy was hyper enthusiastic about the item, like almost creepy about it. Even after I'd agreed to send more pics when I got home (this was all via text message), he kept texting for another 5 or 10 minutes, gushing over how bad he wanted it. I like people to be enthusiastic, but this guy was over the top. That's what gave me the initial squirrelly feeling about the whole deal. Then he's all "I can get it tomorrow, but I just need to use PayPal."

Maybe I'm too suspicious as a result of hanging out with you lot, but it just felt... off.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    If he has to come over and meet you in person to pick the item up, he should be able to bring a cashier's check with him. I don't see the point of using Paypal for a FTF deal. Something sounds off. Maybe contact him and tell him that you don't trust Paypal, and he will either need a cashiers check from a LOCAL bank, or a POSTAL money order. If he is as excited as you say, he will go along with your demands.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i have googled the potential buyer's name before, and found them to be associated with lots of craigslist scams. if they give a name or email address, try Googling it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If he has to come over and meet you in person to pick the item up, he should be able to bring a cashier's check with him. I don't see the point of using Paypal for a FTF deal. Something sounds off. Maybe contact him and tell him that you don't trust Paypal, and he will either need a cashiers check from a LOCAL bank, or a POSTAL money order. If he is as excited as you say, he will go along with your demands.

:yesway:

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    It's not a firearm, and it's not a shippable item. They would have to come over and pick it up. My fear is that they'd pick it up and then tell their credit card company to reverse the charge, which it seems is very easy to do and PayPal doesn't do much to protect the seller from.

That might not have been enough, but the guy was hyper enthusiastic about the item, like almost creepy about it. Even after I'd agreed to send more pics when I got home (this was all via text message), he kept texting for another 5 or 10 minutes, gushing over how bad he wanted it. I like people to be enthusiastic, but this guy was over the top. That's what gave me the initial squirrelly feeling about the whole deal. Then he's all "I can get it tomorrow, but I just need to use PayPal."

Maybe I'm too suspicious as a result of hanging out with you lot, but it just felt... off.

I agree if it's a FTF transaction, there's no reason at all to use PayPal. And if the guy starts getting squirrelly--just go with your gut.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If he's got the money to pay via paypal, he's got the money to pay you cash or a cashier's check or postal money order. If he was going to use a credit card, he can get a cash advance if he has the funds available.

You dodged a scam for sure.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    +1's abound to the above posts.

If someone wants to box you into one form of payment
    and won't accept your wish for a secure form of payment
    like a cashiers check or cash then they can bounce.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    It's possible his funds are tied up in paypal, it can take a week to get them transferred into your bank account. It's also possible he is using a credit card. If his cc only has a $2K limit he can't get $1400 for a cash advance. Lower limit cards usually limit the cash advance amount. Or it's possible he is funding from multiple sources, credit card and paypal balance. Is he willing to tag it as personal "gift" so there's no fee's incurred on your end?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

What's wrong with cash?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It's possible his funds are tied up in paypal, it can take a week to get them transferred into your bank account. It's also possible he is using a credit card. If his cc only has a $2K limit he can't get $1400 for a cash advance. Lower limit cards usually limit the cash advance amount. Or it's possible he is funding from multiple sources, credit card and paypal balance. Is he willing to tag it as personal "gift" so there's no fee's incurred on your end?

I've only used Paypal for small purchases, I didn't realize they could hold your money for any length of time.
    If the buyer has to play around that much with credit, then he probably shouldn't be buying any $1400 " item"! But that's a whole different discussion.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

Exactly what I was thinking until the OP said that it was going to be face-to-face. That just sounds strange and I agree that if he doesn't agree to a proper method of payment, simply refuse to sell to him.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Yep, scam.

Even if it wasn't a scam, **** paypal!

Nothing but commie gun haters and anti gun advocates .

Keep funding their cause, all.

Great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom