• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since I sold out of the .223 AR scene last year, I have been thinking (and working on) getting back into the game a little. I have acquired a lower with FCG, stock and buffer tube. I am thinking that it would be cool to have an AR pattern rifle in 9 MM.

Would I be okay to assemble an upper in 9 MM for what I have or should I look at purchasing a complete PCC and save the parts I have in case I want a .223 build?

Money is a concern so I'd like to do this as economically as I can but still have a solid, reliable firearm. I don't want cheap, less than high quality parts, I just don't want to spend unnecessarily.

I also think I'd like to stay with AR pattern. This will be used for fun at the range at a lower cost than .223 and for training.

Maybe home defense.

Oh, and I am comfortable with building my own. I have built many AR's over the years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have multiple PSA 9mm ARs. Solid guns and wont break the bank. Ive tried both Glock fed billet lowers and using the KAK drop in magazine adapter for Colt pattern mags. I prefer the latter as I can always revert back to 223 if I wish.

And their customer service is OUTSTANDING. I had feed issues because they started with a flawed (lack of real) feed ramp. It wouldnt feed flat points. So I took it to AllenM and he worked his magic. The work was GLORIOUS. Through no fault of his, it actually caused the gun to start jamming in another way. We were both baffled so I called them and got a RMA. They had every right to tell me "WTF?!?!" and make me buy a new barrel. Nope. They replaced the barrel free of charge, cut in a proper feed ramp (that they all have now), and its worked flawlessly since.

Be warned though they dont often sell AR9 complete guns, and uppers/lowers come in/out of stock. When I bought my first one I had to add the options I liked to the wish list. As I would get the in stock email alerts I'd hop on and buy it. I bought my upper/lower 3 days apart.

Good luck!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have the Ruger 9mm carbine. It is 100% reliable capable of 2" 5 shot groups at 50yd maybe less if I used XTP bullets. Shoots 115gr 124gr 147gr well. Glock magazines and drums.

I was originally looking for a 22mag. Ended up with the Ruger PCC. At the time and even now 50rds of 9mm is cheaper than 50rds of 22mag. I bought it for my varmint gun to have on property if needed and it has more knock down power than the 22mag.

I got it for $428 + transfer fee.

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I shoot my 9mm ARs 3-4 times as much as my rifle caliber ARs.

Ammo costs, muzzle blast, virtually no recoil. I keep a 10.5 inch, braced pistol by the bedside, at night, for things that go bump on the farm.

I have both a mag well adapter
    and a Glock pattern dedicated lower.
    Plus to the mag well adapter is last shot bolt hold open. Glock lower does not.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the Ruger 9mm carbine. It is 100% reliable capable of 2" 5 shot groups at 50yd maybe less if I used XTP bullets. Shoots 115gr 124gr 147gr well. Glock magazines and drums.

I was originally looking for a 22mag. Ended up with the Ruger PCC. At the time and even now 50rds of 9mm is cheaper than 50rds of 22mag. I bought it for my varmint gun to have on property if needed and it has more knock down power than the 22mag.

I got it for $428 + transfer fee.
    Is this the one that is sorta like a 10/22?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I like my CMMG build that uses their radially delayed bolt and barrel. It's basically like the Banshee, but I built it myself and saved a bunch of money (sadly these days I think parts are more expensive than when I built it, but if you shop around you can probably still save quite a bit). It uses a standard lower and the CMMG version of the MEAN endomag, which replaces the guts of a standard .223 PMAG to make it run 9mm. This gives you some versatility with the lower (say for instance if you wanted to SBR it, or swap different uppers onto it), and an identical manual of arms to any other AR. The slight delay in bolt opening time allows them to use a lighter bolt and a standard buffer and spring, resulting in far less felt recoil to the shooter, and less disturbance of the sights for faster follow-up shots. I've shot it side by side with a buddy's MPX, and it's ALMOST as smooth...but mine is lighter overall (even though his has an 8" barrel and mine is 16") and cost me less than half what he paid. Using a rotating bolt with lugs in a carrier like a standard AR also provides the same out of battery protection that you get in a .223 rifle,which was a big deal for me after my experience with my straight blowback gun (described below).

I had a straight blowback PSA 9mm AR with a Glock mag lower before the CMMG RDB gun. It had all kinds of reliability issues, including doubling and out of battery discharges. I replaced fire control groups, buffers, springs, and finally got it to run right with a specific type of ammo, but I'm a reloader and I like my stuff to be versatile, so I wasn't really happy with it. With the heavy bolt and buffer travelling back and forth in there, the recoil impulse was also quite a bit heavier than a 9mm should have been. It wasn't harsh or painful, but it disturbed the sights as much or more than my .223 guns, and made follow-up shots more difficult. It also had no provision for last-round-bolt-hold-open. I ended up getting rid of it...traded it towards a Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt, and was just as happy to see it go as I was to get my new Marlin!

I also had a Ruger PC Carbine (one of the newer style takedown ones). The gun worked great. I never had any reliability problems with it. The downsides were that it was heavy, and had a heavy bolt and the same sight-distubing recoil of my PSA blowback gun. I was also hoping that they would release mag adapters for other brands of guns (like the P320), and maybe exchange kits to more potent calibers like 10mm, but this never materialized. Although I never had any malfunctions, I had issues with the bolts that held the receiver to the stock and the charging handle to the bolt shooting loose. I found I had to torque them so much to keep this from happening that I was afraid they were going to strip. The takedown barrel lock ring also wasn't confidence inspiring, and had to be tightened frequently. If it hadn't been for the allen bolts holding it together and if they'd offered one without the takedown feature (something I didn't want, or need, and promised to cause issues down the road), I'd probably still have it, but it ended up getting traded off as well.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I would go with a dedicated 9mm lower (colt or Glock) if you are going to do a build. Magwell adapters are prone to issues. I lice Quarter Circle 10 or Joe Bob Outfitters Spartan lowers.

If you are going to buy a factory 9mm carbine, I like Sig MPX, Ruger PC Carbine, CZ Scorpion, or a PSA gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Have come across Foxtrot Mike. They have a complete upper for $479. I would add a BCG, buffer and FM's recommended Sylvan Arms conversion block. That would get me all in for less than $700 depending on what I buy for a BCG and buffer.

I'd just need to buy mags.

Does that kind of money seem high, low, reasonable?

And is FM good stuff?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pricing seems reasonable given the market.

Just make sure you get the right size buffer. you'll need a heavier one as the standard weight buffer makes it run funny. I had a coworker that bought a QC10. They goofed and stuck in a mid weight buffer like it was a .223. Ran like crap. But they made good on it. When we realized the error, he called them and they shipped him the correct one for free.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I would go with a dedicated 9mm lower (colt or Glock) if you are going to do a build. Magwell adapters are prone to issues. I lice Quarter Circle 10 or Joe Bob Outfitters Spartan lowers.

If you are going to buy a factory 9mm carbine, I like Sig MPX, Ruger PC Carbine, CZ Scorpion, or a PSA gun.
    I built a couple 9mm PCCs using the cmmg banshee parts like the other poster. Mainly because I wanted to SBR it and with a standard lower, you could swap out the upper for a lot of other calibers vs having a dedicated lower. In hindsight, setting it up as a pistol ended up being the better option, at least until they ban the brace.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Have you looked at the freedom ordnance fx9? Msrp is 799, it takes glock mags, ar15 drop in triggers will work in it (some will work better than others)

And as a big plus it’s made in Chandler Indiana (between Evansville and Boonville) they take great care of their customers! I know people who’ve driven there, and had their guns fixed while they waited!

I’ve shot mine in steel challenge, I know a guy who shoots his in idpa, and I’ve shot mine in idpa for classification (but not in a match) the only hiccup I’ve had is when the bolt gets so built up with crud that it stops the firing pin from hitting the primer!

You should take a look at them, they make a 4, 8, and 10 inch pistol, and 16 and 18 inch carbine (the 18 is for Canada, freedom makes the only 9mm ar pattern that’s approved for sale in Canada!)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Have you looked at the freedom ordnance fx9? Msrp is 799, it takes glock mags, ar15 drop in triggers will work in it (some will work better than others)

And as a big plus it’s made in Chandler Indiana (between Evansville and Boonville) they take great care of their customers! I know people who’ve driven there, and had their guns fixed while they waited!

I’ve shot mine in steel challenge, I know a guy who shoots his in idpa, and I’ve shot mine in idpa for classification (but not in a match) the only hiccup I’ve had is when the bolt gets so built up with crud that it stops the firing pin from hitting the primer!

You should take a look at them, they make a 4, 8, and 10 inch pistol, and 16 and 18 inch carbine (the 18 is for Canada, freedom makes the only 9mm ar pattern that’s approved for sale in Canada!)
    This is what I like about posting on INGO. I just don't know a lot of sources and you guys keep showing them to me.

This looks like a contender. I could even stop by the next time I go to my daughters. I would want the 16" model. Thanks.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    This is what I like about posting on INGO. I just don't know a lot of sources and you guys keep showing them to me.

This looks like a contender. I could even stop by the next time I go to my daughters. I would want the 16" model. Thanks.
    I know you get to Evansville a lot, if you’d like to shoot mine I’d be glad to let you shoot mine

Top Bottom