• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    I am thinking about getting a new 20 gauge over under shotgun. Anyone have any recommendations that would be in the $750 range? I've seen the Mossberg silver reserve and the Remington in the $500 - $600 range, but not sure how good those guns are. I am not planning on shooting in local competitions, just for trap fun and hunting. :):

Thanks!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    You're really close to snagging a used Browning Citori, or a Beretta Onyx. Have you talked to Indiana Gun Club?

They get trades all the time, and you can take used guns for a round at clays before you buy.

I'd be happy to meet you there and introduce you to the owners, good guys.

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    I may just take you up on that offer :):

I would really like to have the citori, but I'm a little nervous about buying a used shotgun, especially one that may have thousands of rounds through it. I think they are pushing about $1500 new and I just can't justify that at this point, but if I can find a good used one for the right price, I would probably do it.

Maybe after it warms up a bit we can get together out there! Thanks for the offer.

You're really close to snagging a used Browning Citori, or a Beretta Onyx. Have you talked to Indiana Gun Club?

They get trades all the time, and you can take used guns for a round at clays before you buy.

I'd be happy to meet you there and introduce you to the owners, good guys.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The quality of a Browning or Ruger or Beretta is such that thousands of rounds is either not going to make a difference or will really show on the gun. If it looks in good condition is probably is. I had a Silver Reserve and it is not a bad gun; you can have them for the $300-$400 used range and probably upwards of $500 new depending on model. But, I would not hesitate to pick up a used Browning. There will always be the risk of buying anything and getting a lemon but the better pieces out there will last much longer than those inexpensive doubles will. I am not knocking those lower-cost doubles just saying that there is a level of quality that is found in the Berettas and Brownings of the world that aren't in those. For your budget of $700+ I would hold out and look for a used "B" gun (Browning, Beretta).

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    I agree with a used Browning or Beretta, or a Ruger red label all great guns and quality that will last for years.

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    The quality of a Browning or Ruger or Beretta is such that thousands of rounds is either not going to make a difference or will really show on the gun. If it looks in good condition is probably is. I had a Silver Reserve and it is not a bad gun; you can have them for the $300-$400 used range and probably upwards of $500 new depending on model. But, I would not hesitate to pick up a used Browning. There will always be the risk of buying anything and getting a lemon but the better pieces out there will last much longer than those inexpensive doubles will. I am not knocking those lower-cost doubles just saying that there is a level of quality that is found in the Berettas and Brownings of the world that aren't in those. For your budget of $700+ I would hold out and look for a used "B" gun (Browning, Beretta).

Thanks for the reply. I'm not in any big hurry, so I will keep my eyes open for a good used "B" gun. Thanks again!

Top Bottom