• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bansheewarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Looking at getting Ithaca 37 featherlight 16 gauge I've never owned a Ithaca is there anything I should know good or bad about them. There are a couple on gunbroker right now that look very clean for older guns. Might use it for a little bird hunting and playing with clays.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I have a model 37 featherlight from about 1958 in 20 ga and it still works perfectly. It was my grandfathers then my dads and now mine. Dad shot it a lot back in the 70s and its still a damn good looking shotgun and goes bang every time. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another. I'd love to have a newer to shoot.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I have a 1966 model 37 Featherlight that is my favorite bird gun ever. They are as tough as nails and especially handy if you are a lefty like me because of the bottom load/ejection port. There's a lot of history with these guns to boot as they were originally the John Browning designed Remington model 17 that Ithaca started producing as the model 37 when the Remington patents expired.

Blades2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Lafayette
    How does the 16 gauge stack up against a 20? I know 16 is not as main stream but is the power of a 3 in mag 20 gauge comparable to that of a 16?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Have an older featherweight in 12 gauge. Been kicking around barns and sheds for pest control for some 40+ years before it fell into my hands. Hadn't been cleaned until then as far as I know, and it still ran as good as new when I got it. These things are the AK47 of the pump action world IMHO. Cheap as well. Featherweight is no joke either, they can easily be humped around for a good stretch of time without wearing you out.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Thing with a 16 is ammo is not as readily available and when it is, costs a bit more. Other than that, no flies on it.

Agreed. I have a model 37 in 16 guage, and ammo is not as easily obtainable (sans current climate) as others.
    If it wasn't an heirloom, I'd have traded it for a 12. But man it is a GREAT gun and I love it. Has a pretty good kick to it.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have A Model 37 in 16ga. When hunting small game its my go to gun. I also have A slug barrel for it and I couldn't tell you the number of deer I have killed with it. I guess someday it will be past down to my grandson.

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    My first shotgun was an Ithaca 37 featherlight 20 deerslayer smoothbore. I hunted hard with it in my younger days, shot many rabbits and squirrels with it and harvested my first 8 or 10 deer with it before I got a .44. Great gun and one my son will get someday. Only remember having one problem. The metal ring on the end of the forearm came loose. It is notched to slide under the barrel as the barrel gets fatter at the chamber. It turned a little and I shot a deer and pumped it fast for a follow up shot and it wedged tight. Got it broke loose and glued it back straight. I have a ton of great memories with that gun.

Bansheewarrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Well didn't take long just won one on broker hopefully get it this week and try it out shooting clay this Thursday with some buddies. Gave little more than I wanted ended up at 420.00

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    My grandfather purchased a 37 12 Ga for my father when he was 13 years old. My father gave it to me when I turned 13. In January of 1984, I lost it in a house fire with no insurance. Now, every time I run across one I don't have the money to buy it and it breaks my heart. Dad has been gone now for almost 9 years and hunting with him is some of my best memories.

I pray that one day I might get another one. It was an AWESOME long gun.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Ithaca 37

The Ithaca 37 is one of the classic pump guns....they have been used in the military and police sectors for years. I am an avid 16 ga. fan, Ballistic products can supply you with any 16ga. load that is available. The real advantage of the 16 ga., is when it is chambered on a 20 gauge frame, giving you a light field gun that "carries like a 20 and hit's like a 12". I have also shot thousands of rds of 12, 20 and 28 ga. over the past 4 decades, so I have a good background for comparing them. I have bagged hundred's of birds during the past 40 years with 16 ga. guns and they were just as dead as if I had shot them with a 12 ga. The 16 ga model 37 will make you a good gun.

slategrey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I have wifes grandfathers 16 gauge really enjoy it especially rabbit hunting all day you will like the weight savings

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    A great, great old gun in 16ga that is fantastic for upland bird hunting. They were built to last and they do last. Buy one and enjoy!

Top Bottom