• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Sooo, the hubby and I are thinking about attending a RBC. Our first Appleseed was in New Lisbon, WI, earlier this month. We're signed up for Cloverdale in June and for the Mini on July 3rd. We're totally excited about Appleseed and have been talking non-stop about it to our friends and family!

Anyway, we've been looking at the boot camp schedule and find ourselves at a crossroads, of sorts. He's interested in an IBC, but I don't have a Rifleman score yet. There just don't seem to be very many of either IBCs or RBCs nearby. Is there any preferred order to attending these? Should we go to an RBC before an IBC? Is is better to be an IIT for awhile and attend more shoots before attending an IBC? Are there any in the works closer to Indiana for early 2011? We're actually considering the RBC in Texas in November since it fits our schedule well, even though it's a bit of a drive.

Thanks for the guidance!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sooo, the hubby and I are thinking about attending a RBC. Our first Appleseed was in New Lisbon, WI, earlier this month. We're signed up for Cloverdale in June and for the Mini on July 3rd. We're totally excited about Appleseed and have been talking non-stop about it to our friends and family!

Anyway, we've been looking at the boot camp schedule and find ourselves at a crossroads, of sorts. He's interested in an IBC, but I don't have a Rifleman score yet. There just don't seem to be very many of either IBCs or RBCs nearby. Is there any preferred order to attending these? Should we go to an RBC before an IBC? Is is better to be an IIT for awhile and attend more shoots before attending an IBC? Are there any in the works closer to Indiana for early 2011? We're actually considering the RBC in Texas in November since it fits our schedule well, even though it's a bit of a drive.

Thanks for the guidance!

I've not been to a RBC but I have to an IBC. I can't think of anything we teach at the latter that would not be acceptable for a non-instructor to learn, but I will wait for Those More Learned Than I (read: those who have actually TAUGHT an IBC)to answer with certainty.
    As to the question about being an IIT for a while, since you can attain a new IIT level with every full Appleseed you work, after about three events, the IBC will not affect your level much (Mine did not; I was IIT2 before, IIT3 as of my next shoot), but it's good to pick up hints as to how to teach this stuff to adults even if you're not "leveling"

My advice: There's nothing about this program to not recommend it for attendance. If you can make an event and you want to do so, do it.

Blessings,
    Bill

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The obvious choice - do both if you can! ;) They are very different.

First, the IBC (Instructor Boot Camp):

Primary focus on exceeding the normal learning curve of how to instruct others. Taking this up front will greatly enhance the skills you will pick up and continue to hone through experience at all subsequent shoots. Also an excellent refresher for instructors who may feel a little "rusty" or just need recent updates on the points of instruction. This option coupled with instructing at the next Appleseed allows for advanced direct promotion (skipping early IIT levels based on evaluated performance.) One of the two required Appleseeds and/or Rifleman score may be waived by a Master Instructor. I found this course to be very beneficial.

RBC (Rifleman Boot Camp):

Weeklong mixture of advanced personal rifle training with some attention and practice on how to pass this on to others. Haven't yet attended one but highly recommended by most everyone who has. These count as 2 Appleseeds by themselves and cover a wider range of topics than a standard AS or IBC.

Lots of shooting at the RBC compared to an IBC, which will contain little to none.

My :twocents:.

...and Bill beat me to the post while I was typing! :):

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Simply put, and RBC is for everyone. An IBC is for someone who has already been selected to be an instructor. To become an instructor you have to attend two full Appleseeds and score rifleman. There are a few exceptions to the rule but can only be done with a waiver from a Master Instructor (the closest one is in IL) and is a rarity.

I would advise either two full seeds, or if you can possibly do the RBC - do the RBC.

My one great sadness in Appleseed is not having been able to do an RBC. They are the best thing we have and if you can make the time - they are not to be missed. And IBC is totally different and not what you are likely looking for.

Techres

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    As a point of clarification, anyone can volunteer to become an instructor. We can use all the help we can get!

At the same time, there is just a process that has to be gone through to turn a "volunteer" into "selected" instructor.

[Thanks for catching my wording ATM and I hope this clears it up.]

Techres

P.S. If you do go the RBC route, please take alot of notes about the experience each night. I would love to hear your story!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I was just thinking, "new bailers? Here's some buckets!" :D

Techres knows better the details and can help explain and steer you along the different paths to becoming Instructors if that is your desire.

No worries - you certainly won't trip over an abundance of red tape in this organization. ;)

:patriot:

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    good question. It got me interested and looked it up. this is from the info page. Boy, I suuuuure wish there was one closer to, or in Indiana (hint hint).
    I have to get my kids to the pool so I don't have time to look locations and times up now but I'm interested in taking a road trip!

RIfleman Boot Camp
    Boot Camps
    What is a boot camp?
    For some people, attending boot camp represents the fast-track to becoming an RWVA instructor. To others, it's an opportunity to learn a great deal more about rifle marksmanship.
    In the words of one of our boot camp graduates: "Its a place where a group of dedicated volunteer instructors take a week or more off from their jobs, and travel to Ramseur (or elsewhere) to instruct a bunch of new guys in both rifle marksmanship basics and teaching that very skill to others..."

He's right.
    During that week instructors and students get to know each other, and if history is any indication, they oftentimes forge lifelong friendships.

The training consists of class room instruction, range safety instruction, shooting at 25 yards, shooting at longer ranges, shooting at pop-ups (if available), and helping each other work out individual problems discovered during the short range work. The type of target will be variable during the 25-yd work, the pop-ups are pop-ups and the full distance AQT targets are standard military D targets.

The training first focuses on the basics at the 25 yard range to uncover and correct any problems the students have before moving on to the longer ranges. Once the students demonstrate their newly learned abilities at 25 yards consistently, longer distance instruction starts. During that process the students learn that all that repetition at 25 yards really does translate into hitting targets at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards.

The last day at boot camp calls for more practice at running a firing line, and instructing fellow students in preparation for the Appleseed that weekend where they'll get to repeat that line calling. They'll also cover range safety officer work and instruction in basic rifle marksmanship techniques to the Appleseeders.

And lastly, if you go to a boot camp and don't have one of the best times of your life, "something is wrong with you and you need professional help." (M1A4ME Boot Camp Graduate, RWVA Instructor)

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Don't let scheduling keep you away from Appleseed. Continue to attend local shoots under different instructors if possible. Your husband can take on the orange hat after his second shoot if he has shot Rifleman. You get to shoot for free anyway so just tag along with him to shoots that he is working as an IIT you will shoot Rifleman soon I am sure, maybe the next one. When you shoot Rifleman you can take on the orange hat too. Then you can start down the Appleseed trail together and when that RBC comes up you can still go or go and work as IITs or Instructors.
    Either way you go it will be enjoyable and very enlightening. I cannot stress the importance of working under several different Shoot Bosses though. All are good but some have their favorite little things they spend just a little extra time on that may be what you need.

Welcome to the family

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    As to the question about being an IIT for a while, since you can attain a new IIT level with every full Appleseed you work, after about three events, the IBC will not affect your level much (Mine did not; I was IIT2 before, IIT3 as of my next shoot), but it's good to pick up hints as to how to teach this stuff to adults even if you're not "leveling"
    Thanks, Bill. That's good to know. We'll take note and hopefully get to an IBC sooner than later, but if we can't catch one right away then we can pick up those extra hints later!

The obvious choice - do both if you can! ;) They are very different.
    One of the two required Appleseeds and/or Rifleman score may be waived by a Master Instructor. I found this course to be very beneficial.
    Thanks for the additional info, ATM. We'll definitely do both - just not sure when! And hopefully I won't need that waiver after the next shoot, anyway. ;)

Simply put, and RBC is for everyone. An IBC is for someone who has already been selected to be an instructor. To become an instructor you have to attend two full Appleseeds and score rifleman.

I would advise either two full seeds, or if you can possibly do the RBC - do the RBC.
    We'll have the two full seeds after Cloverdale, so we'll be on our way. The RBC will just be icing on the cake. :rockwoot: The RBC just sounds like a lot of fun!

I was just thinking, "new bailers? Here's some buckets!" :D
    :patriot:
    Haha - thanks for the buckets! We'll need them. Since New Lisbon, we've been searching through the list of shoots to try and figure out which shoots we can take family and friends to and when! And, we offered to help at the table at the 1500 in June, too, so we'll be there if needed!

As a point of clarification, anyone can volunteer to become an instructor. We can use all the help we can get!

At the same time, there is just a process that has to be gone through to turn a "volunteer" into "selected" instructor.

[Thanks for catching my wording ATM and I hope this clears it up.]

Techres

P.S. If you do go the RBC route, please take alot of notes about the experience each night. I would love to hear your story!
    Hmmm...I guess I'm a little confused on this one. Sooo, is it best to not volunteer and wait for someone to "select" you as an instructor? If there's a process to go through to go from one to the other...it sounds like red tape? :dunno: I don't want to be that volunteer who nobody actually wants around!
    And now worries on taking notes...we put up the AAR from New Lisbon while we were still camping. God Bless the Verizon network and our netbook!

good question. It got me interested and looked it up. this is from the info page. Boy, I suuuuure wish there was one closer to, or in Indiana (hint hint).
    I'll second your (hint hint) here!

Don't let scheduling keep you away from Appleseed. Continue to attend local shoots under different instructors if possible. Your husband can take on the orange hat after his second shoot if he has shot Rifleman. You get to shoot for free anyway so just tag along with him to shoots that he is working as an IIT you will shoot Rifleman soon I am sure, maybe the next one. When you shoot Rifleman you can take on the orange hat too. Then you can start down the Appleseed trail together and when that RBC comes up you can still go or go and work as IITs or Instructors.
    Either way you go it will be enjoyable and very enlightening. I cannot stress the importance of working under several different Shoot Bosses though. All are good but some have their favorite little things they spend just a little extra time on that may be what you need.

Welcome to the family
    Thanks, Mudcat! Good advice - it'll be interesting in Cloverdale to see how the Indiana shoots work, and we'll certainly take that note of working under several Shoot Bosses under advisement.

Thank you everyone for the info! Bubba and I are super excited about this new adventure we're embarking on! I'm not sure where all the instructors are, but it doesn't sound from most of your posts on INGO that many are in NW Indiana...hopefully we can help bring Appleseed up here! I see that there was a shoot in Lafayette at some point...that's pretty close to us, but maybe we can help find something even further north. Looking forward to meeting you all in person sometime soon!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You can volunteer to instruct as soon as you shoot a Rifleman score. Please feel free to do so; I have yet to meet an instructor no one wanted to have around (unless I'm him!:eek:)

The process they were referring to is that you work a shoot and turn in a paper, maybe show a demonstration, either to the shoot boss or preferably, the shooters... kinda like what the Orange Hats were doing at New Lisbon. When you have shown that you have the knowledge base to handle running a shoot by yourself, that's when you've earned your Red Hat. There's a lot to learn, but you'll have some great teachers to help you along the way.

The bottom line? If instructing is your Seventh Step, we'll do all we can to help you do it.

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification, Bill!

I was out working a table today so I could not be here to clarify. The others here have done it well for me!

I would never turn away a volunteer and today I this weekend we had one helping our table and was a Godsend. Some of our volunteers who are not orange hats help in ways far more critical than instructing the line. There is no limit on helping other than the ones that come with orange hats.

Sorry if I was appearing to stifle your enthusiasm. That was most definitely NOT my intent. I was trying to speak of something specific and sounded general. My error, and with it my apologies.

We need every 7th stepper that we can get. Every, single, one. Thank you two for joining us on the path and for all of your efforts to come!

I very much look forward to meeting you and your husband and hope that we can cross paths soon,
    Techres

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    No worries, Techres. We're still interested and ready to go! Bubba even wanted to help you out in Bloomington today, but by the time we would"ve got out of church and drove to Bloomington and with the time change...it would've been 4:00 and not worth the trip. So maybe we can start promoting Appleseed
    up here in NW IN!

So thank you to you and everyone else for your help! See you on the line!

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    BUMP!

Bubba and I are leaving in less than a week for the RBC in Davilla, TX - woot! :rockwoot:
    Scope is mounted on the AR and mostly sighted in (as well as I could in seated and standing - we learned yesterday that Willow Slough has a cement curb in front of the firing line :n00b: - otherwise very nice range, though), picking up a Garand at CMP in Alabama on the way, *think* we have enough .22 and .223, and looking forward to a fantastic week of shooting, history, and camaraderie, Appleseed-style!

Funny how less than six months ago I had no idea what the difference was between an IBC and an RBC and now how deeply involved I am in the program. Only an organization with as strong a mission of helping Americans "remember" their heritage could draw in such dedication from meager couch-sitters. Thanks to all of the Appleseed crowd for being such wonderful, welcoming, and passionate Americans. And for those of you who haven't been to an Appleseed yet - GO!

And be on the lookout for the AAR. :patriot:

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    First off... I've driven the roads from indiana to my long lost home many many many times. Alabama is not on the way to Davilla, but I won't tell.

Second... Have a Lone Star long neck for me and bring back the empty so I might catch a wiff of that sweet Texas nectar... I miss Texas :crying:

Third... Garand? Am I to be the last Hoosier instructor without a Garand in the house?

YHJ

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Will do! We'll pass along greetings from all of Indiana - whether everyone intends to send them or not. ;)

Please do. And if you happened to come back with a small jar of Texas dirt, I would not object. :)

...I miss Texas :crying:

Third... Garand? Am I to be the last Hoosier instructor without a Garand in the house?

YHJ

Me too, YHJ. And no, you are not the last. :xmad:

Blessings,
    Bill

Niecie

Plinker
    Sep 27, 2010
    Next to Yellowhouse Jake
    AuntieBellum & Bubba,

Enjoy! I hope you have a fantastic time and enjoy the scenery along the way. And the food, too! I miss Texas food.

I can't wait to hear the tales and see the pics. Have a safe trip,

Niecie

Top Bottom