• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Heya!

I've been thinking about getting a suppressor as well as a short barrel for my AR-15. I don't plan on having the suppressor pinned as I would like to be able to use it on various firearms.

I could just get the suppressor and stick it on my 16" barrel but I was thinking it would be better to get an 10.5" or 11.5" barrel and then optionally suppress it.

I'm not familiar with Class 3/NFA beyond suppressors. I wasn't sure if the tax stamp you pay for the SBR is associated with the lower [i.e. the serial], the upper [not sure how it would be, but the BATFE can be weird], or simply the barrel itself?

Basically what I'm wanting to know is if I get a short barrel and pay the tax stamp, can I swap it to a different AR-15 that I own, or would the barrel be tied to whatever I installed it onto first/the lower/etc?

Just trying to figure out the best way to go about this - I do know I could get the short barrel and have a suppressor pinned/welded but I'd prefer to be able to remove the suppressor so it can be used on other firearms.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Tax stamp is tied to the serial number, so in the case of an AR it's tied to the lower receiver.
    I figured it was tied to the lower because I haven't seen a barrel with a serial number.

I guess the up-side is that if the barrel gets worn out or I want a new/different short barrel I don't need a new tax stamp.

Is it possible to transfer the short barrel from one rifle to another [i.e. one lower to another] - a form or something, or is it another $200?

I may just see about ordering a new lower for an SBR build......... :).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is it possible to transfer the short barrel from one rifle to another [i.e. one lower to another] - a form or something, or is it another $200?

I may just see about ordering a new lower for an SBR build......... :).

When you "manufacture" an SBR on a Form 1 you are turning the lower into an SBR. So that lower can legally have a 10.5" upper, a 12" upper, or an 18" upper, etc.

But if you move that 10.5" upper onto a lower that isn't on it's own Form 1, it's a no-no.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Yep. You can have as many barrels/lengths as you want for your SBR'd lower. Remember when you fill out the Form 1 that you'll want to put the shortest upper you'll want as the final length. You can always go longer later on, but you can't go shorter...i.e. you put on the form that you'll have a 14.5" upper, but then later put a 10.5" upper. That's a no-no.

There are a ton of strings on this board that discuss the ins and outs of filling out a Form 1 and the legalities (by a bunch of non lawyers) of possessing multiple uppers. Enjoy.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Thanks, I guess I just have to get the ball rolling on getting the tax stamp and then, once I have it, I can order a short barrel to put on my receiver or a short barreled receiver?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Probably just .223 / 5.56. Looking at 10.5" barrel with a suppressor but figure I can use that suppressor on other .22 firearms as well such as my pistol :).

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Yep. You can have as many barrels/lengths as you want for your SBR'd lower. Remember when you fill out the Form 1 that you'll want to put the shortest upper you'll want as the final length. You can always go longer later on, but you can't go shorter...i.e. you put on the form that you'll have a 14.5" upper, but then later put a 10.5" upper. That's a no-no.

There are a ton of strings on this board that discuss the ins and outs of filling out a Form 1 and the legalities (by a bunch of non lawyers) of possessing multiple uppers. Enjoy.

Sorry, but this is DEAD WRONG and a common misconception/gunshop fallacy. When you fill out the Form 1, you put down how you're going to initially configure it. There is no law, rule or regulation stating that you can't go shorter at a future date. The law states that an SBR is a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16". It does not say shorter than 16" or shorter than what we approve on your form.

Put down the barrel length you are going to build starting out, and once you have an approved, stamped Form 1, you can put any length barrel you'd like on it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sorry, but this is DEAD WRONG and a common misconception/gunshop fallacy. When you fill out the Form 1, you put down how you're going to initially configure it. There is no law, rule or regulation stating that you can't go shorter at a future date. The law states that an SBR is a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16". It does not say shorter than 16" or shorter than what we approve on your form.

Put down the barrel length you are going to build starting out, and once you have an approved, stamped Form 1, you can put any length barrel you'd like on it.
    This ^^^

I think the fallacy stems from the suppressor world. Where you can't change caliber of a suppressor or make a suppressor longer. You can, however, make one shorter.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It used to be that people would put down multiple calibers and multiple lengths for their Form 1's, in the thought that having them on the Form would allow you to change to those things, but not having them would prohibit it. This is probably a holdover from those times.

You are applying to make a short-barreled rifle. A rifle has one caliber, one barrel length and one OAL at a time. You can change it, but you want to apply for what the configuration will be AT THE TIME of making it.

kabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Speaking of multiple calibers and multiple lengths for your Form 1, DO NOT do this. As of Jan 2013, the ATF will kick back your application and make you correct it by hand and resubmit. Just put one caliber and one length of the potential SBR's original configuration.

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    .223 /5.56 can...

Yes, you can use your .223 can on your .22s but keep in mind they are bigger and heavier than a .22 can, and in some (a lot) of cases the sights on your .22 hand gun will not be tall enough to see over the can. It will work, but it is not the same!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yes, you can use your .223 can on your .22s but keep in mind they are bigger and heavier than a .22 can, and in some (a lot) of cases the sights on your .22 hand gun will not be tall enough to see over the can. It will work, but it is not the same!
    Indeed, I'm fine with that :). Just like having the option.

kabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Additionally, .22lr shoots extremely dirty and most .223/5.56 cans are not user serviceable for cleaning. You should shoot a dedicated .22 can.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Speaking of multiple calibers and multiple lengths for your Form 1, DO NOT do this. As of Jan 2013, the ATF will kick back your application and make you correct it by hand and resubmit. Just put one caliber and one length of the potential SBR's original configuration.
    :dunno:

Actually its as of about 2002 or so I think when they started kicking them back for that reason... well over a decade ago...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    :dunno:

Actually its as of about 2002 or so I think when they started kicking them back for that reason... well over a decade ago...

A little later than that. It was reported to be "hit or miss" when I took the chance and submitted mine w/ "multi" circa 2006/7. It got kicked back and I listed 3 different calibers (.223 Rem, .22LR, 9mm) and that got approved.

Now that I understand the process better I realize it simply didn't matter and I should have just submitted w/ either the factory caliber or the intended caliber and been done w/ it.

-rvb

Top Bottom