• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    Has no one here ever been to a place that doesn't allow carrying and you tuck the handgun under your seat? I have, before getting lock box mounted.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Since Ruger discontinued the 9E January1 the price has dropped to $250-290 range. It only comes with one mag but you can get a 2 pack for $40. As noted upthread, the trigger is pretty good for a sub $300 gun.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    If $300 is all you have to spend then go for it. Personally I won't ever buy those cheap and terrible to me handguns. Used Glocks and M&P's can already be had cheap if you keep your eyes open. Just last week there was a like new 2.0 on here for $425.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well yes you did, and I totally missed it. I apologize for missing that and the resulting comments. I still feel that it's not the best way to have a firearm in a vehicle but kudos to you for taking some steps to secure it further.

There is another reason not to leave a handgun in a vehicle....Rust...

An older gentleman brought in a 1950's era M&P that was rusted so tight you couldn't open the cylinder...I sent him to a gunsmith friend of mine to see what he could do...Soaked it in oil for a week, was able to get the cylinder open finally..Two more days and one busted screw to get the side plate off...He finally gave up on it...Come to find out the car had a leak and the moisture got in the case...It was heartbreaking...The internals looked like they were covered in tobacco spit...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought the S/W SD9VE used for $250 with 4 or 5 mags: perfect condition.

I bought a used Shield 9mm for $280.

I personally, for a truck gun, would get a revolver.

Many .38 specials out there for under $300 (have bought a few here and there: Charter Arms and Taurus, and a Smith snubbie new for $300 at Cabelas) and
    .357 I have done the same once, but usually, they are over $300.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    There is another reason not to leave a handgun in a vehicle....Rust...

An older gentleman brought in a 1950's era M&P that was rusted so tight you couldn't open the cylinder...I sent him to a gunsmith friend of mine to see what he could do...Soaked it in oil for a week, was able to get the cylinder open finally..Two more days and one busted screw to get the side plate off...He finally gave up on it...Come to find out the car had a leak and the moisture got in the case...It was heartbreaking...The internals looked like they were covered in tobacco spit...

Now THERE'S a good, and compelling, if sickening, argument.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    SD9 and the like are fine pistols. But why lock them in a Truck? Just buy a used Jennings, Bryco, or RG and leave it on the dash.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If $300 is all you have to spend then go for it. Personally I won't ever buy those cheap and terrible to me handguns. Used Glocks and M&P's can already be had cheap if you keep your eyes open. Just last week there was a like new 2.0 on here for $425.

If you've never owned one, how do you know that they are terrible?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    If you've never owned one, how do you know that they are terrible?

Terrible to me. The look isn't desirable to me. The price point doesn't matter to me. Far too many people buy the wrong gun because they need/want to buy something with a certain amount of money. Then most end up losing money when they sell it for less. I've done it myself when I was younger.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Terrible to me. The look isn't desirable to me. The price point doesn't matter to me. Far too many people buy the wrong gun because they need/want to buy something with a certain amount of money. Then most end up losing money when they sell it for less. I've done it myself when I was younger.

I'm not sure what looks have to do with anything, since both the 9E and the SD9 look better than a Glock. Better ergonomics, too. The number of Glocks in the classifieds tells me that someone must think that a Glock is the wrong gun as well. And not everyone can say that the price point doesn't matter. The SD9 is a fine pistol for the OP's intended purpose.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    What your location OP? You can shoot my sd9ve, Beretta px4, Glock, FN, and Sig. $200 to $600 and I bet you'll like the Smith and Wesson as much as any of the others.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm not sure what looks have to do with anything, since both the 9E and the SD9 look better than a Glock. Better ergonomics, too. The number of Glocks in the classifieds tells me that someone must think that a Glock is the wrong gun as well. And not everyone can say that the price point doesn't matter. The SD9 is a fine pistol for the OP's intended purpose.

I get it. You like them. The OP asked and I gave my opinion. I'm sorry you can't accept that.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I get it. You like them. The OP asked and I gave my opinion. I'm sorry you can't accept that.

It's not up to me to accept or not accept your baseless opinion. The OP can decide for himself. And it's not a matter of liking them or not. I have experience with this platform, and after hundreds of rounds I find it to be a serviceable pistol. Well worth the asking price. I also have a Glock 21 and several M&Ps. Truth be told, there is not a world of difference between the platforms.

I look forward to your review of a restaurant that you've never been to. :):

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It's not up to me to accept or not accept your baseless opinion. The OP can decide for himself. And it's not a matter of liking them or not. I have experience with this platform, and after hundreds of rounds I find it to be a serviceable pistol. Well worth the asking price. I also have a Glock 21 and several M&Ps. Truth be told, there is not a world of difference between the platforms.

I look forward to your review of a restaurant that you've never been to. :):

I'll try again....I get it. You like them. I don't. I'm sorry you can't accept that.

It's funny you say looks don't matter and then make sure to point out how they look better than Glocks. It's hilarious for you to say there isn't a difference between the platforms when we all I know there is. If you don't believe me then please go safely dry fire your G21 and one of your several M&Ps and notice the difference.

The Sigma and it's replacement SD9VE are sub-par handguns. That's why they have a low price and nobody ever talks about them. I don't recommend sub-par firearms to anyone and never will.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'll try again....I get it. You like them. I don't. I'm sorry you can't accept that.

It's funny you say looks don't matter and then make sure to point out how they look better than Glocks. It's hilarious for you to say there isn't a difference between the platforms when we all I know there is. If you don't believe me then please go safely dry fire your G21 and one of your several M&Ps and notice the difference.

The Sigma and it's replacement SD9VE are sub-par handguns. That's why they have a low price and nobody ever talks about them. I don't recommend sub-par firearms to anyone and never will.

:blahblah:

I said that there is not a world of difference. And there is not. If you can shoot well with a Glock, but can't hit anything with an SD9 or a Ruger 9E because of the trigger, then you are simply not a good shot. The trigger on my G21 is a bit different than my M&Ps. In fact, my M&Ps are a smidge different from each other. And it doesn't amount to an ant fart of difference when it comes to shooting them well.

I imagine that you are like my friend that just bought a Sig P229 Legion in 9mm. He goes on and on about the trigger on it. I handled it, and it does have a nice single action trigger. The DA trigger sucks, just like all Sigs that I've handled. It came with a coin. (LOL) I asked him to let me know the next time he goes shooting so that I can try it out. We go shooting together every once in a while, but I know he's dreading this next outing. You know why? Because I will shoot circles around him with my Ruger 9E. I've done it before with his P227. He just shakes his head. To really mess with him, I might even drop the $150 for a Hi-Point before we go shooting next time. I'll get a .40 for more recoil, just to make it somewhat fair.

Funny thing about my sub-par SD9VE. I don't have any brass-to-face problems with it, no weak ejection issues, and the slide has never fallen off while shooting. :cool:

Still waiting on your valuable input on that restaurant that you've never been to. Make it a steak house. You can review the fish if you'd like. :):

Last edited:
    Top Bottom