• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I know what you're thinking. "An AR-15 pistol as a carry weapon? Ridiculous!" The truth is, a couple of weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I would have told you that ARs, AKs, and all other rifles, hacked into those gigantic "pistols" were completely stupid and absolutely useless. Recently though, I've had a change of heart. I started seeing more and more about how these pistols could be used very similarly to a fullsized rifle, even to the point of shouldering them while still remaining legal in the eyes of "The Man."

The more time that I put in on the range with my EDC handguns, the more I realize that outside of very close range conflicts, I cannot rely on my ability to put rounds where I want them to go with a handgun. I'm not a terrible shot, but just average, and I am butting up against the real limitations of the handgun platform for an average shooter like me. The thing that is becoming clearer and clearer to me is that I can put tighter groups on paper at 50 yards with one of my AR-15s than I can do with any of my handguns at 10 yards. Having realized the inadequacies of myself and the handgun, I started searching for a practical rifle setup that I could make somewhat mobile, while not drawing the attention of having an "Evil Black Rifle" slung around my back. The attention I get from regularly open carrying my P229 is plenty for me! The solution came to me in the form of these "silly" AR-15 pistols. I now realize that these guns offer me 80% of the ergos and functionality of a rifle, in a package that can be made small enough to fit in a messenger bag or backpack. Because I am an electronics technician who is expected to have a laptop and such, this type of weapon setup is perfect for me!

I am planning to build my pistol over the coming months, as well as train with the system to determine if I can deploy it effectively. The pistol will be an 8" 300BLK barrel on a basic forged M4 upper/lower, a LAW Tactical Gen III side folding buffer tube adapter with a padded rifle length buffer tube (stock screw threads removed to make the ATF happy) and a CAA side saddle for enhanced cheek weld. I intend to run a micro red dot optic, possibly an Aimpoint T-1 if budget permits, but more likely something like a Vortex SPARC.

I'm hoping to get feedback on this concept. I am really curious if anyone else uses one of these pistols in a similar fashion.

Edit: To be clear I still fully intend to carry an easily accessible handgun, just as I always have. The backpacked AR will serve as backup in case of an unforeseen scenario in which I would need to deploy a more effective weapon at range. For example, an active shooter scenario where I have eyes on the shooter, but am at too great a range to safely deploy a handgun against him. In this case I would not be the singular focus of the aggressor and therefore would have more time to deploy an AR pistol from a backpack. It may sound silly or paranoid, but nobody, including the victims of these scenarios, expect that such a thing will ever happen to them, yet they still happen. I don't expect to be in a situation where I am stopping an active shooter any more than I expect to be mugged, but I still prepare for the mugging, why not the prepare for other credible threats as well?

Last edited:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Your personal defense plan is to deploy an AR pistol from a backpack? I guess I don't understand what your really trying to accomplish by doing this. If you ever do need to defend yourself, you wont have a firearm that your able to deploy quickly.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    As long as what you want to do is legal, I say do what makes you most comfortable. There are many more with practical knowledge, application and experience than me but if you're not comfortable you're not proficient, efficient, reliable or worth a damn.

All too often individuals rely upon the opinions of others.

With what you explained above, you'll have a primary and a secondary means of defending yourself or others many do the same.

With what you explained above, you're going to have a truck gun, only your truck will be on you everyday in the form of a bag. Many have a truck gun.

Ironically, Eric, IV8888, posted a picture on Facebook the other day with his hotel carry - a FNX 45 and a MPAP/Draco pistol.

If it works for you and those you love and its legal go for it!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I shoot a RRA piston driven pistol. It is accurate within reason for the platform. I don't think it would be very easily carried as an EDC. I can see the value of having it in a pack/suitcase if traveling though. It is just not rapidly deployed in an emergency unless slung around your neck.

Don

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If u wanna carry it in a bag (essentially a truck gun that's even more portable), go for it. If it's something you want to do for the cool factor, go for it. Your choice.

HOWEVER, based on the description, it almost sounds a little Gecko45/mall ninja-ish. Unless you are LEO, I can't imagine the situation where you would need additional distance beyond pistol range. (A.k.a. GTFO!!)

You should carry what you want to carry, period, and I wouldnt fault you for a backpack AR. But I (personally) don't see the merits of backpack carrying an AR pistol in 300 blk.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    OP, it's the next evolution of owning a Kel-Tec Sub2k & carrying it in a BoB / truck. I love the idea & look forward to sharing your experience once you start... It practical for everyone? No. Is it another tool I'd like in my toolbox? Yes!

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I would need to deploy a more effective weapon at range.

I think that line of thinking is a good way to get yourself jammed up. "self defense" and "at range", while possible, don't usually go well together. I would also add that it is not a good idea to be at the scene of an active shooter with an AR style weapon regardless of your intentions.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    As others have said, if it is something you want to do then (as long as it stays legal) by all means give it a go.

Everyone's personal protection plan is different I know. But mine is pretty much centered around getting myself and my loved ones out of harms way as fast as possible. That plan does not include making shots at distances outside of 10-15 yards. More than likely shots will be fired between 2-7 yards and then a good pair of running shoes comes into play. Which is why I always gripe at my fiance for wearing flip-flops in Indy.

Anyway. If you decide to go for it more power to you.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have thought about an AK platform pistol with a single point sling. 10 round Mags are still pretty short, and it wouldnt be that difficult to conceal. My issue is carrying all that extra weight around for not much more in in range and accuracy. If your main justification for this exercise is the extra range that you will get from this setup, then perhaps just more practice with your normal sidearm is in order.

I do focus most of my shooting with handguns at <25 yards, but do stretch things out from time to time, just to verify where my guns are shooting. I tend to keep a long gun in the truck too, but that isnt something that I would pack around with me all the time.

The flaw I see in your thought process, how well do you shoot your rifle in rapid fire at range? Certainly you will get tighter groups with slow, controlled fire from a stable position, but try doing this from field expedient cover, or standing and in rapid fire mode. Chances are the groups are going to open up. You might be surprised at yourself with a little bit of practice and focus on the basics with a handgun at the ranges that you can become proficient at. Chances are VERY good anyway that the ranges that you are thinking of that a SD shooting you would be using suppressive fire anyway, affording yourself a means to break contact, and not be directly engaging someone that is a direct threat to your life.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Your idea sounds fine as far as an acceptable way that you could actually carry such a gun. However, you really need to listen to the people that question your basic scenario. It only makes sense from a legal standpoint if the shooter is actively shooting at YOU, you are unable to escape, and you are unable to fight back with a handgun; otherwise you are just asking for trouble. Toting around a particular weapon for such an unlikely scenario would be like carrying around a rubber mat just in case you are caught in a field when a sudden lightning storm pops up.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I do believe, that if your overall legnth is longer than 26 inches, you would be GTG, so you could keep the pistol stock on and use a VGF as well. Even though it would have the pistol stock it would still be a rifle

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy
    If u wanna carry it in a bag (essentially a truck gun that's even more portable), go for it. If it's something you want to do for the cool factor, go for it. Your choice.

HOWEVER, based on the description, it almost sounds a little Gecko45/mall ninja-ish. Unless you are LEO, I can't imagine the situation where you would need additional distance beyond pistol range. (A.k.a. GTFO!!)

You should carry what you want to carry, period, and I wouldnt fault you for a backpack AR. But I (personally) don't see the merits of backpack carrying an AR pistol in 300 blk.

Hit the nail on the head.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A possible additional option would be an RMR on a handgun, if you think that would assist better with putting shots on target, and would be much smaller than what you are describing. That seems like a decent amount of weight to be carrying. I know you said you would also have a handgun on your person, but seems that off body carry would put you in the position of making sure that the bag was under your control at all times. You would need to think about how possible that is, given your situation. I'm not saying it is not, just that you need to consider that.

I think I'd be going for the RMR on the handgun, and putting some time in with that.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yeah, I wouldn't do this...but if I were looking for an AR pistol to deploy from a backpack, sure I wouldn't want a buffer tube.

Here ya go. its about $450 and lightweight:

main-02.jpg

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    So is this rifle bild for +50 yard or -50 yard range? If I'm not a good shot at -50 I doubt an SBR would help me any. If I'm feeling threatened at 50 yards I'm running or looking for cover. Furthermore my liability of missing the target is still there.

Your build idea however, has merit. I'd like to try a glock carbine for similar use.

Top Bottom