• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I have a Springfield XD 4" .40. Nice gun, I love shooting it (even though it shoots low;)). Here's my problem, if I CC the dang things too big for me to conceal comfortably anywhere except 6 oclock. I realize that most of the problem is that I'm fat (working on that), but that doesn't help solve the problem.
    I was thinking of getting a smaller .40 for when I want to CC, or I might go to .380 because my wife carries a .380 and it would be easier to keep to the same calibers I already have.
    I looked at the specs of the Ruger SR40c, the length is almost the same as my XD (6.85 v just over 7) and the XDsc is about an inch shorter.
    Anybody have other suggestions?
    Thanks.:ingo:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Have you looked at the XDm compact? It will be shorter than your service model but longer that a XDsc. The reduced grip length will help with concealment as well.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have a Springfield XD 4" .40. Nice gun, I love shooting it (even though it shoots low;)). Here's my problem, if I CC the dang things too big for me to conceal comfortably anywhere except 6 oclock. I realize that most of the problem is that I'm fat (working on that), but that doesn't help solve the problem.
    I was thinking of getting a smaller .40 for when I want to CC, or I might go to .380 because my wife carries a .380 and it would be easier to keep to the same calibers I already have.
    I looked at the specs of the Ruger SR40c, the length is almost the same as my XD (6.85 v just over 7) and the XDsc is about an inch shorter.
    Why do people keep buying 380:dunno: when you can get a 9MM gun, that would only be a pubic hair bigger than a 380, but the 9MM is twice as powerful;)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Depending on what type of pants you wear, a good pocket holster can make a decent sized gun disappear nicely in your front pocket. I carry a PT745 everyday, everywhere, from when I get out of bed until I get back in, thats how comfortable it is. I don't wear bluejeans any more, instead, I wear cargo type pants and shorts, which allows for the same style of carry year round.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Why do people keep buying 380:dunno: when you can get a 9MM gun, that would only be a pubic hair bigger than a 380, but the 9MM is twice as powerful;)
    My wife has a .380 because it is what she is comfortable with and she enjoys shooting it. I would consider a .380 merely so I don't have to buy yet another caliber of ammo.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Look at the Taurus Slim line:

709=9mm
    740=.40
    745=.45

I have the 709 and it's a dandy little package for me when I don't want to carry my full size PT-809.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County

Yeah, I have wondered if that was my problem too!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

I am overweight too, but my EDC set up is very comfortable...
    I don't know your set up, but I can carry an XDsc 9 all day long in a Kholster at about 4 o'clock. I have worn it for a 12 hour day, and never felt any discomfort..

(Yeah, ok, waiting for the "why dont you just lose weight" comments to start again, lol)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm rather on the large size too, I carry my Kel-tec p-11 at 3:30 in a iwb holster, it's very comfortable, hoping to get a better holster like a Desantis sof-tuck soon

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I am overweight too, but my EDC set up is very comfortable...
    I don't know your set up, but I can carry an XDsc 9 all day long in a Kholster at about 4 o'clock. I have worn it for a 12 hour day, and never felt any discomfort..

(Yeah, ok, waiting for the "why dont you just lose weight" comments to start again, lol)

I also carry the XD9SC. I use a leather Tagua at 4:00. I'm a bit overweight myself. It's not too bad, especially if I wear some kind of undershirt.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    My suggestion would be to focus on finding a gun that is thinner first and then has shorter grip and then has a shorter barrel.

Because it is those three things that determine how concealable a gun is, in that order. This is why a Glock 19 is about 97% as concealable as a Glock 26 - mainly because of the thickness. And do not even get me started on carrying a G26 with an extended mag. Nothing irks me more than the long grip / short barrel combo.

Anyway, thickness also is the primary determinant of comfort. And in my case, my new carry gun is actually slightly taller than my old one. However, the new gun conceals better and is more comfortable because it is thinner.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am having a hard time figuring out what makes it so hard to conceal. Is it the length of the barrel, the length of the grip, or the width?
    If it is length of the barrel, a SC or Compact with a full size mag and a spacer should help a lot and allow you to keep your mags (maybe). If it is the length of the grip try chopping it (people knock on it, but i love my chopped Glock and I did it myself with only a hacksaw and some sandpaper). If it is the width I say look for a single stack 9mm like the PF9, the LC9, or similar.
    :twocents:

Top Bottom