• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Which is why I didnt respond to the ABC/CAB question. In general, in an emergency you're not doing a head to toe in proper systems...you see blood-you assess things that would indicate low blood volumes. Etc...

A lot of crap they teach in school doesnt work on the job either. ;)

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Which is why I didnt respond to the ABC/CAB question. In general, in an emergency you're not doing a head to toe in proper systems...you see blood-you assess things that would indicate low blood volumes. Etc...

A lot of crap they teach in school doesnt work on the job either. ;)

Without completely hijacking the thread, such as?

There is also plenty in school which does not teach you what is needed for the job. Keeping the status quo for cost and course length (compared to the other local programs) squashes the opportunity for making the program what it should be (more ride time, EVOC, etc.).

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    Adams County required 40 hours of ride time, 24 hours or ER time. I ended up doing double as we were offered the opportunity to do so.

I work as a Basic for a local service every Monday and Tuesday.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Just like " there's a lawyer behind every bullet " , there's a lawyer behind every good deed .

That info is dated so know your " good Samaritan " laws before you choose to get involved . .

b) " This section does not apply to acts or omissions amounting to gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct "

I would think that if a mistake is made ( and they are by both new and experienced folks ) , that a lawyer can use subsection b against you .

I'm not trying to argue First or secondary survey (or any other) procedures , that completely misses the point I was making .

It's more of a "cautionary tale " , think before you act and if you act know what you're doing .

OP , what you may not know at this point is that what you can / can't do depends your local protocols and the "faith" your local medical direction has in your abilities as an EMT .

One guy might say "oh you do this if that happens" , and that might be fine where he's from but it doesn't necessarily mean it's OK where he's currently at .

Protocols , med direction or what you can / can't do can vary from agency to agency , county to county as well as state to state .

My reason for being "stuck" on the sub section B / lawyer part of the discussion stems from a local case from 2010 .

I was at our local EMS commission convention and there was a case brought before the commission where a paramedic was about to loose his license .

I don't remember all the details but the jist is this , a one way valve from a patients' non rebreather mask was discovered missing by a Dr. in a local ED .

Since **** rolls down hill it was going to be pinned on one of the nurses .

She got a lawyer and said " it wasn't me , it was the medic " .

Now the medic had to get a lawyer to protect his license , job and livelihood but it seemed like he was gonna get pinned for it anyway .

I wasn't personally involved so I don't know the disposition of the patient or those involved .

I just thought it was a bunch of BS over a small piece of rubber that was about to ruin somebody's career .

That happens when lawyers get involved .

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I seriously doubt I would get into the emergency services field. I would just do the training to gain knowledge. That said, I may love it and contemplate a career change. My intentions now are just to gain knowledge on how to be able to help a person in need as I am severely lacking now in that ability. I do know that if I pursue this path I will spend as much time as possible getting hands on training. It seems to be a consensus in the field that being in an ER or ambulance or wherever the job is being done is more valuable that reading about it in a book.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Take a WMA-WFR class

I have been an EMT, wilderness EMT, Tactical Medic, ER nurse, acute Care nurse practitioner in ICU and ER and am completing a PhD from Rush (yes I am old and yes I started my medical journey at 18). I have rendered care in several austere environments from wilderness to being shot at. The best class I have ever taken, hands down is the WMA (Wilderness MEdical Associates) Wilderness First Responder class. You learn and then practice in simulated scenarios with live role players. You learn the WHY you do things and not just memorize steps. The "why" is important because you learn how to use what you have on hand and do not need to rely on traditional medical supplies. You then get to practice in complex multifaceted scenarios. I also think that it is important that you use WMA they are leaders and experts in this kind of training and they have been around a long time. I would h put a WFR vs EMT any day of the week and the WFR will come up on top.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Without completely hijacking the thread, such as?

There is also plenty in school which does not teach you what is needed for the job. Keeping the status quo for cost and course length (compared to the other local programs) squashes the opportunity for making the program what it should be (more ride time, EVOC, etc.).
    Changing/dealing with tracheostomy would be a major one. I've never had an extra pair of hands for trach changes.

A lot of the sterile "drapes" are a waste of space, the sterile field is on a bedside table or in a spot that won't be disturbed. I've only seen one person use a drape, and that was the lady who put the stitches in my sons ear, and I think that was because she was fresh out of school (or it was so he couldn't see). :)

bdwhitaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I seriously doubt I would get into the emergency services field. I would just do the training to gain knowledge. That said, I may love it and contemplate a career change. My intentions now are just to gain knowledge on how to be able to help a person in need as I am severely lacking now in that ability. I do know that if I pursue this path I will spend as much time as possible getting hands on training. It seems to be a consensus in the field that being in an ER or ambulance or wherever the job is being done is more valuable that reading about it in a book.

I was in the same boat as you as far as just completing the course to gain the knowledge...About 6 years ago me and me then-wife got pregnant with our son, and I had no idea how to take care of him or her if something happened to them, so I researched various EMT courses and ended up attending a summer class at Ivy Tech Bloomington. Like I said, I had no intentions of doing any kind of career change, I just wanted to get basic knowledge to better take care of my family. I ended up loving every minute of it, and I ended up taking the state written/practical and getting a job with a local service in Indianapolis, and I've been doing it for the past 4 years. It's rare that someone can say they look forward to going to work every day. :)

Top Bottom