Thinking about getting a revolver for my edc. Give me some ideas what to get.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have a couple of revolvers a Colt Python and an older Taurus M44. I've owned a Taurus .38 85UL and a .357 Tracker. I use to carry the snub nose 38 Taurus and was actually very good with it. At one time I could put all 5 rounds on target and reload as fast as any semi-auto I owned. I know it's because I practiced with it a lot. I think that training has stuck with me.
    I've been shooting my M44 and realized that I think I can shoot a revolver better than I can an auto. So I'm thinking about getting a revolver for EDC. I'm debating the Smith 586 that they started making again, but I'm going to keep my options open. I know I want 4 to 6 inch barrel and medium to large frame. I'm leaning towards .357mag, but not going to rule out .44 mag. I know that my Python is going to be as good an anything I can get, but then I couldn't use this as an excuse to get an new gun.

Here are some guns I'm thinking about. The Smith 586, 686 or 629. I like the Taurus Trackers too, 7 rounds is a plus. Give me some other ideas.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I carry a Charter Arms .44 Special snubby in the winter as my EDC and I like it a lot. Hard to go wrong with a Smith or a Taurus (my EDC for many years was a Taurus in .357). I wouldn't go under a .357, regardless of manufacturer. Taurus is making a number of good revolvers in .357 these days and so does Smith. If you come across an older model Charter Arms snubby I'd suggest that, I've been very pleased with mine and so are most folks who own them. I'd go with a shorter barrel than 6", tho. Harder to conceal (unless you're going to OC only). May be a bit snappy, but the concealability is something to look at.

jbrownrfn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Indy
    I love my poly public defender it is really comfortable to carry only thing it is much better with the tracker handle on it just easier to handle with it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you can reload as fast, and shoot better, than going to a revolver makes sense.
    I carry a S&W model 19. But I do need to practice reloading with the speed strips.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Smith .38 bodyguard would be a good one for CC. If OC is the plan I recommend a smith and wesson 460 XVR, the bigger the better and if you can make dirty harry's revolver look like a .22 in the process you might as well!

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Smith and Wesson M&P R8, I don't carry mine because it is huge, but that seems about right up your ally for description. Eight Shots of .357 5 in barrel, ability to put light on and to put a scope on. It is my favorite gun to shoot to be honest.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I carry a M65 4" IWB so that would include any other "K" frame S&W. I also have a S&W 625JM that I shoot IDPA with that has its own IWB holster that will carry pretty comfortable although it is pretty heavy. Although I don't have one the afore mentioned Rugers would be another good choice IMHO. The holsters are Cabo manufactured and no longer in business, too bad they are good quality and carry a revolver comfortably. Jim.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I highly recommend either the S&W 586 or 686 (have a 686 myself) since you stated 4". The Ruger GP 100 is also a great revolver. I will also suggest (even though you said 4" to 6") you might want to consider the Ruger GP 100 in the 3" offering. An inch isn't that much but they are very handy in the 3" version. Makes a world of difference to me in a IWB holster but your really not giving up that much. (S&W offers the 686 plus with a 3" tube but I personally never got into the 7 shot's due to my assortment of L frame safariland speedloaders)

Good Luck with any of them you won't go wrong!

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Smith and Wesson M&P R8, I don't carry mine because it is huge, but that seems about right up your ally for description. Eight Shots of .357 5 in barrel, ability to put light on and to put a scope on. It is my favorite gun to shoot to be honest.

Excellent choice for OC! Gets you into semi-auto capacity, reducing the need to reload (hopefully) with an excellent round. IMHO, if you are going to take the revolver risk on capacity and ease of reloading, it might as well hold 8 rounds to begin with, and be of tier one quality.

I love revolvers, but only carry one as a "roving gun" in a coat pocket, or when I am in an NPE and pocket carry. I use a J frame for that. Out in the sticks when power is needed, I see the benefits for sure. Hard to beat for the trail in a big bore caliber...10mm semi-auto not withstanding.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Of course, if you are comfortable OCing a large "revolver", I recommend

[video=youtube;DOfQUbF0ZYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DOfQUbF0ZYw[/video]

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    If I was looking for a new carry revolver my choices would be either a S&W Model 13 or 65 with a 3" barrel. (k frame, fixed sights, 357)

Have you ever tried a 3" barrel Bullet? Curious why you ruled them out, I think they are the bees knees if your wanting to carry more revolver than a J frame snub gun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I love my GP100, but if you are used to the S&W/Taurus "push forward" cylinder release you'll be retraining for the "push in" style. I made the transition quickly and find it more natural than the push forward, and much more natural than Colt's "pull back".

As others have stated, the 3" barrel is a real sweet spot between comfortable carry, sight radius, and bullet velocity when you're talking .357s. For me its more comfortable to carry and feels more agile as you move target to target. The balance just feels perfect on a 3" GP100.

I'd also stick to 6 shot full sized revolvers, as Safariland speedloaders aren't available for the 7/8 rounders. Unless you are going to use moon clips, there's no faster way to reload than the Safarilands that release the rounds when they contact the cylinder (no twist knob like HKS).

Other than that, find grips and sights you like and go for it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I carry a Smith Model 65 3" .357. I feel the K frame.357 is about a perfect size-power ratio as one can find. I like carrying the 3", but have carried a 4" for good number of years. The 65 is about a perfect carry gun to me, stainless durability, round butt for comfort in carry and shooting, fixed sights, helps with comfort and durability and the heavy barrel helps to he reco down a big compared to skinny barreled guns. The fact that S&W makes the best double and single action trigger pulls is also a good reason to go that direction !

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I'll chime in with the S&W Model 65, but given the parameters that you established, my first choice would be a S&W Model 686 plus. I own both and you will never hear me complain about either. I also have a Model 29 with a 3" barrel, makes a nice carry gun if you can find a holster for a 3" large frame revolver, it will also put a big smile on your face every time you squeeze off a round.

Top Bottom