• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Emotion aside, here are the facts: An AR-10 is easier to maintain, generally more accurate out of the box, far easier and far cheaper to accurize, and will handle a much wider pressure range of loads. An AR-10 is also far easier to scope. All of that said, the M1A/M14 just feels better in the hands and shoulders better for me. Despite their similar weights, M1As/M14s feel better balanced to me than AR-10s. So, my brain likes AR-10s, but my heart likes M14s. You won't go wrong with either, so get the one that you think you'll like best.

Ar-10 is also easier to silence. Speed reloads are easier w/ the ar-10. All of those reasons are why I sold my NM M1A and built a .308 AR. I had visions of using the M1A for 3-gun heavy metal but all those reasons are why I made the change. I expect to run the ar-10 in some 2-gun or 3-gun matches this summer. That said, I already miss my M1A even though I seldom shot it, and I see another in my safe... someday...

-rvb

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    If you buy a standard get the wood stock. I got the synthetic and subsequently bought a previously issued walnut stock from Fred's. The M1a just screams "wood"!

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Best $1394 I ever spent! When you get one, you will become a very popular person when you show up at the range with it. Everyone wants to look at it.
    Be careful, because you will find some droolers there too! LOL :drool: Trust me, you will enjoy it, a LOT!

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    Best $1394 I ever spent! When you get one, you will become a very popular person when you show up at the range with it. Everyone wants to look at it.
    Be careful, because you will find some droolers there too! LOL :drool: Trust me, you will enjoy it, a LOT!

Wish I could still get that price.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Wish I could still get that price.

I got mine with a $10 raffle ticket from the SW Mich. Friends of the NRA , Since it was in Mich. they made me pay tax on it, I think it ended up costing me something like $500.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have owned 3 since 2000. All were great! The best though was my pre-ban. I would suggest taking the time and finding a pre-ban VS new production. Just my :twocents:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    SAI hasn't used GI parts since the late 80's though.
    You can replace fire control parts, ie hammer, trigger etc, with Garand parts. Sights will work also, bolt guts too.
    The only thing I've changed on my SAI so far was the flashhider, you need a bayonet lug

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    SAI hasn't used GI parts since the late 80's though.
    You can replace fire control parts, ie hammer, trigger etc, with Garand parts. Sights will work also, bolt guts too.
    The only thing I've changed on my SAI so far was the flashhider, you need a bayonet lug

My last M1A was made in 1988 and it came from SAI with all GI parts. So you are correct. And yes...you need a bayonet lug on an M1A. It just does not look right without one. Without a lug it looks castrated.:twocents:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The older "pre-ban" springfield M1As actually have GI parts in them compared to the newer models.

Not always so. If the particular model has GI parts then I would tend to agree, but not all pre-bans were GI content loaded. It was hit or miss in most eras, except a narrow serial range.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    You can find newer M1A with GI parts that have been traded out. Those CMP parts kits a while back were used for builds and upgrades. The GI M14 parts are getting hard to find, last I checked none of the places had them that I used. Really wish I would have dropped the cash and bought a couple of those parts kits a few years ago when they were available. That said, again I wouldn't hesitate buying a new production SAI rifle. Those James River Armory guns look good too

Mbandy13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Someone already said it but the ar-10 in General is cheaper and more accurate than the m1a, that being said there is nothing sexier than an m1a. I went the total custom rout with my m1a, totally tuned up krieger barrel, JAE stock, ect. Mine shoots lights out and holds up very well even at 1000, I have many weapons that out shoot her but the m1a's are super cool, I'm thinking about an m-21 for my next. Enjoy yours.

P.S. I went with the arms mount because they had the lowest base to bore height, and they are excellently built.

mike

Top Bottom