• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I had forgot about my other saying as I was defending my current one!

"150 years ago, when everyone that shot ANYTHING, was a handloader!"

As a qualifying statement though: "Even if it was from the muzzle end!" hahaha :D

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    How much reloading do you plan on doing. Seriously. I would buy a Dillon. You can always slow the process down on a Dillon (insert other maker also) but it is hard to go faster than what a reloading press was designed for. I can put out 400 rounds an hour of .40 cal without even trying.

Not looking for "Fast" and by no means do I need to crank out 400 rounds an hour.

That is the BEST press that you can buy to start with, seriously. If you are going to load less than 200 rounds a week, it will last absolutely forever.

That is probably the route that I will go (not 100% sure, and still open to any and all suggestions). 200 rounds a week would satisfy my needs, even if I were to do 200 rounds a month I would be happy. Also know that at that rate of speed it will last forever helps. I know I say 200 rounds a week or month now, and I'm sure like other things once I get hooked I'll want more and more.

The other thing I will offer up here is that reloading is one of those hobbies where it's not about "finishing" something, but enjoying the process. I like spending time at the reloading bench. I'm in no hurry to get it all done because then I won't have any reloading left to do! ... I reload for hours of relaxation and enjoyment.

That's the plan, I want it to be a hobby that I can enjoy and be able to take my time and learn the skill. I just want the satisfaction of saying that I loaded my own rounds and be able to save a little bit of money in the long haul.

Reloading is something that I am going to do, and I am going to plan on taking a class before I make the plunge. Again it will probably be sometime this summer before I can start the process. Again, thanks for all the help and recommendations. :ingo:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Not looking for "Fast" and by no means do I need to crank out 400 rounds an hour.

That is probably the route that I will go (not 100% sure, and still open to any and all suggestions). 200 rounds a week would satisfy my needs, even if I were to do 200 rounds a month I would be happy. Also know that at that rate of speed it will last forever helps. I know I say 200 rounds a week or month now, and I'm sure like other things once I get hooked I'll want more and more.

That's the plan, I want it to be a hobby that I can enjoy and be able to take my time and learn the skill. I just want the satisfaction of saying that I loaded my own rounds and be able to save a little bit of money in the long haul.

Reloading is something that I am going to do, and I am going to plan on taking a class before I make the plunge. Again it will probably be sometime this summer before I can start the process. Again, thanks for all the help and recommendations. :ingo:

When you get your equipment and have the inevitable question or two, don't hesitate to ask. Collectively, I'm sure the guys in this forum have made every mistake under the sun, so we can help with any challenges you come up against. Be sure to let everyone know what you buy and how the class works out...you'll be hooked in no time! :)

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    So I took the first step today...

Stopped in the local Goodwill to get a couple pairs of jeans for work, and while I was there figured I'd look threw the books to see if they had any books that pertained to shooting and/or reloading. Sure enough all the way at the bottom of the shelf there were 3 books.

-Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading "Rifle-Pistol Third Edition" (1989)
    -Nosler Reloading Manual "Number Three" (1989)
    -Speer Reloading Manual "Reloading Manual NO11 For Rifle & Pistol (1987)

Even though these are older and may be outdated could I still use these for reference and load data? In the Hornady book I even noticed some hand written noted under a few of the different calibers.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Well, you opened a can of worms with that question! :)

There are a lot of opinions on this matter. As you can guess, from one extreme to the other. The YEAH crowd say, once safe, always safe, the NAY crowd, you will blow your gun up if you just THINK about loading out of those manuals! :)

Common sense will tell you that neither is 100% accurate. The manuals you mention are fairly current, so, there shouldn't be any problem using the data from them. (My opinion.) The caveat to apply: Start low, work up, ALWAYS.

Here is a better synopsis of that aged data: If you have a can of powder from that era, primers from that era, bullets from that era, brass from that era (that is still good ;) ) and a firearm from that era, shouldn't you be able to use the data from that era too? Again, with the above caveat? I would say YEAH in that situation.

Should you use it with components from this day and age? Well, there is current data available for current components. Why not use it first? We use our current data for our current components and we deem it is safe. Didn't they? Um, yeah, they did.

One thing that will not change is the basics of reloading and the front part of all of those manual can be invaluable as reading material. Read it over and over and over and over and..........you get my drift, until you actually start reloading. Then, keep them all around for reference.

Get every old manual you can and use the front end of them over and over.......forget it, you get the picture! :D

As for the handwritten notes, um, no, don't use that. No way of telling just what that was all about. ;)

Good for you though, this is how you start. Read, watch, ask............ Soon, you will be as adicted as the rest of us!

hahaha

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    On the other hand, some things in the reloading world just never change. There are load recipes that have been around for 40 years and they are just as good today as they were back then. The only catch is you have to keep in mind powder formulations sometimes change, but as long as you start low and work up, even that isn't anything to get TOO worried about. A 240gr XTP in a 44RM hasn't changed much and neither has a 200gr FN in a 35 Remington. Heck, I bet those books have cartridges in 'em that you can't even hardly buy anymore, so that data might be the newest available.

Personally, I LOVE old reloading manuals. I've got some from the early 70's and I read 'em just for the different perspectives they offer. The days of a physical reloading book are probably numbered, or they will get very expensive, since most companies are putting their data online, now. Even if you never use a single load from those books, I think you'll enjoy reading them and I bet you didn't pay much to put them on the shelf. You can still learn a lot from old things...that's what I keep telling my kids, anyway! :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The binding on my Speer manual is so worn I had to look inside to see what edition it is...#11. Also have Nosler #4, Sierra #2 and 3, Lyman 49th (most recent) ABC's #8 and a few other caliber/platform-specific load books for wildcats and Contender barrels.

I find myself flipping through them once in a while; kinda like running into an old friend at the store. :)

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    So I took the first step today...

Stopped in the local Goodwill to get a couple pairs of jeans for work, and while I was there figured I'd look threw the books to see if they had any books that pertained to shooting and/or reloading. Sure enough all the way at the bottom of the shelf there were 3 books.

-Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading "Rifle-Pistol Third Edition" (1989)
    -Nosler Reloading Manual "Number Three" (1989)
    -Speer Reloading Manual "Reloading Manual NO11 For Rifle & Pistol (1987)

Even though these are older and may be outdated could I still use these for reference and load data? In the Hornady book I even noticed some hand written noted under a few of the different calibers.

So I took the next step this past weekend and bought a press. A friend of a friend had some reloading equipment that he bought with the intentions of reloading but never got around to it. So he decided to sell it to me. I got a Lee classic turret press, 1lb of powder, a set of Lee 44sp/44mag dies, 100 Win. large pistol primers, 100 ss 44 mag cartridges, Lee auto primer dispenser, and a Lee Precision Modern Reloading Manual. So far including the 3 books I got at Goodwill I've spent $125. I know I still have more items to get but feel like this was a good deal and a step in the right direction. Only problem is I don't have a 44mag, so I'll probably be looking to trade all the 44mag stuff for 357mag stuff.
    kit.jpg

dies.jpg

press.jpg

raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    I would not buy anything till you take a class with Profire Arms & Supply. I took it last sat and it was a very good class and a nice guy to have meet. So dont go out and buy anything till you take his class.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Don't listen to the guys who say you "need" to take a reloading course. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but there are certainly other ways of getting into it. The majority of guys never do take a course and we ain't blowed oursefs up YET! :)

I have a bunch of once-fired 357 brass. If you're interested, I'll trade you for the 44RM brass, although I'd want to clarify what you mean by "ss", first. You have made some good buying decisions and with a few more $$ will have everything you need; basically the right dies and components is all that's left.

Congratulations and be sure to ask if you have any questions.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I have never met Andrew. It you take his class, fine, if not, the only thing that that does is keep him from eating regular square meals! ;)

He has proven himself over and over to be concerned about the new loader and THAT is priceless.

All of that being said, if you can read, "MOST PEOPLE" can teach themselves to reload, um, period.

If you are a nervous nelly, well, maybe there are other things you should do with your money, like..........................knit or something! ;) (All in fun!)

The primers will do you no good in loading 357Mag. You need small pistol primers and if you use the powder in the picture, H110, you will need magnum ones at that.

The 44Mag brass is probably nickel plated, not ss. Just a guess though.

All you need to start is a good manual, one with the instructions in the front of it, a place where you don't mix what is in the bottles in the picture with the components that are there, and different primers and cases. Bullets can be purchased locally I would think. You are pretty close to Indy. Lots of places to buy from there.

Gander Moutain on the North East side is a pretty good place to go. You can get in store specials there and make out real good. I bought an Encore Muzzle Loader there, one that you could switch barrels on, for just a dab over $400! It wasn't advertised, just an in store deal. One worth the drive for me!

Another thing about what you have in the picture, H110. That powder is not supposed to be reduced to get a starting load. Not the best way to start out loading, in my opinion BUT, there will be NO WAY you can get enough of that powder in a 357Mag case to blow up a gun designed to take that round, no way. So, that could be a good thing.

You will need a scale and some way to dispense powder. If you can find a Lyman #55 used, get it. They are like $75 new so........There may be others that are as good, I just have no experience with them. Honestly, save your money and don't buy the Lee powder measure. They work, I have one, use it too, there are just better ones out there. Maybe someone will chime in here on that note.

Adam, make sure you read the front of the manuals you have before you load one single round. If you get Lee dies, make sure you read the front of his manual, it deals specifically with them. They are about all I use. The also have videos on their website on how to run their equipment. Make sure you watch them too.

Well, this post is forever long, I hope it doesn't keep you from reading it all. ;)

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My comments had nothing to do with the my manufacturing ammo. It has everything to do with me teaching classes and providing advice to reloaders all day.

It's a fact that many people just shouldn't be in front of a press.

I agree with this 100%. I have seen some people at the range that should not even own a firearm. They lack the attention for the basics. Which will get you hurt or worse when it comes to reloading.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have never met Andrew. It you take his class, fine, if not, the only thing that that does is keep him from eating regular square meals! ;)

He has proven himself over and over to be concerned about the new loader and THAT is priceless.

All of that being said, if you can read, you can teach yourself to reload, um, period.

If you are a nervous nelly, well, maybe there are other things you should do with your money, like..........................knit or something! ;) (All in fun!)

The primers will do you no good in loading 357Mag. You need small pistol primers and if you use the powder in the picture, H110, you will need magnum ones at that.

The 44Mag brass is probably nickel plated, not ss. Just a guess though.

All you need to start is a good manual, one with the instructions in the front of it, a place where you don't mix what is in the bottles in the picture with the components that are there, and different primers and cases. Bullets can be purchased locally I would think. You are pretty close to Indy. Lots of places to buy from there.

Gander Moutain on the North East side is a pretty good place to go. You can get in store specials there and make out real good. I bought an Encore Muzzle Loader there, one that you could switch barrels on, for just a dab over $400! It wasn't advertised, just an in store deal. One worth the drive for me!

Another thing about what you have in the picture, H110. That powder is not supposed to be reduced to get a starting load. Not the best way to start out loading, in my opinion BUT, there will be NO WAY you can get enough of that powder in a 357Mag case to blow up a gun designed to take that round, no way. So, that could be a good thing.

You will need a scale and some way to dispense powder. If you can find a Lyman #55 used, get it. They are like $75 new so........There may be others that are as good, I just have no experience with them. Honestly, save your money and don't buy the Lee powder measure. They work, I have one, use it too, there are just better ones out there. Maybe someone will chime in here on that note.

Adam, make sure you read the front of the manuals you have before you load one single round. If you get Lee dies, make sure you read the front of his manual, it deals specifically with them. They are about all I use. The also have videos on their website on how to run their equipment. Make sure you watch them too.

Well, this post is forever long, I hope it doesn't keep you from reading it all. ;)

I know people who can read, yet can not put a simple piece of office furniture together. It takes a lot more than being able to read when it comes to reloading. Many people lack "attention to detail". You where in the service, so you know all about "attention to detail".

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I know people who can read, yet can not put a simple piece of office furniture together. It takes a lot more than being able to read when it comes to reloading. Many people lack "attention to detail". You where in the service, so you know all about "attention to detail".

^^^^
    Amen to that!

I have reloaded on and off for over 27 years. About four years ago I took the NRA reloading class at my club. It filled in a few gaps for me, but more importantly the teachers had a combined total of nearly 90 years experience and they shared through personal experience a lot of do's and dont's that I may or may not have learned.

The time spent in class was well worth the time.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Patriot,
    We agree on too much to quibble over ONE SENTENCE in an exhausting post! ;)

I qualify my statments by saying "MOST PEOPLE", not all.

If someone has no "attention to detail", they will NOT WANT to reload, or they will exclude themselves after they start. Simple as that. They, NO ONE, needs a nanny to help keep them safe.

If they can't figure some stuff out on their own, are they to be dependent on you to make their choices for them? What is safe for them and what isn't? Come on, most folks have the ability to teach themselves a myriad of things. WE DON'T EVEN TRY TO ANY MORE THOUGH, because someone is always saying "its too dangerous" or "you are to stupid to have a gun" or............

I wonder why the founding fathers didn't put that clause in the 2nd amendment.

We just keep pushing folks down the same rat hole: "You can't, gotta have help, shouldn't even own a gun"................. Really?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't listen to the guys who say you "need" to take a reloading course. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but there are certainly other ways of getting into it. The majority of guys never do take a course and we ain't blowed oursefs up YET! :)

If it's not necessarily a bad idea, why say " don't listen to guys " who advise to take advantage of a class ? Especially since it is so reasonably priced and includes follow up help/advice if needed... This doesn't even take into account having that "connection" for good hazmat buys and such in the future.

I am another one who never took a course... I still have all my fingers and have never trashed a firearm... Saying that though, I will admit to one thing that I bet has happened to many that went the other route... I have spent much more money on things I either didn't need or decided later to upgrade than I would of if only I had a better idea on what was all out there prior.

I have never met Andrew, but have heard nothing but good things about him. It is not hard for me to visualize that the time/money spent on taking his class could very easily repay itself many times over. Looking back thru the threads and seeing where someone is thinking about "upgrading", IMO, just illustrate this point.

Top Bottom