• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    How could you even think about dropping a smart phone with unlimited data? I remember back in the day when all we had was the trader paper and landlines for gun deals. We actually had to talk to people on gun deals and it really sucked! Lol

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been thinking of going to straight talk. $45 for unlimited everything, just don't know how good the service is.

This is what we have and I like the service a lot. Just which service you get depends on the phone you buy. I have a Samsung Centura (?) and it uses Verizon's towers and network. DoggyMama has a Motorola and it uses Sprint's. The phones at Walmart are marked with a V or an S to let you know which networks they will use.

I have mixed feelings about the smartphone. I like it when I'm at a gun show or something and want to research an old gun or check prices, but other than that, WTHR's weather app, email (Yahoo) and texting (which I was dragged into screaming and kicking but now use quite often), I don't use the internet much. Occasionally I will browse INGO if I'm waiting for an appointment or something, but it's just too hard to post from the phone. The little "keyboard" that pops up blots out most of the screen, so I can barely see what I'm typing so the aggravation just isn't worth it. What I miss most about my old flip phone is the tactile part. Since I had my most-called phone contacts on speed dial, I could dial them without having to look at the phone, just by the feel of the number pad. With the smartphone I have to look at it.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That's probably not a bad idea. It is too easy to pull out a phone and lose track of time and disengage from the important things.

One day, my wife made a rhetorical comment about "what would we do without internet service?" I told her, we'd probably lose a bunch of weight and get back into hobbies we've let go unattended.

Can you even buy a non-smart phone anymore?

Yes you can. I still do not have a smart phone.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just gave up the unlimited data on my phone from ATT. I now have the family share plan with 10gb. Look at your bill to see your actual usage. It's usually not near as much as you'd think it'd be. The only time I ever use wifi is at home and it's not uncommon for me to use 75+% of a battery away from home. Even then, my wife and I are typically under 3gb each month. I even use Pandora an hour plus 5+ days a week.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I just gave up the unlimited data on my phone from ATT. I now have the family share plan with 10gb. Look at your bill to see your actual usage. It's usually not near as much as you'd think it'd be. The only time I ever use wifi is at home and it's not uncommon for me to use 75+% of a battery away from home. Even then, my wife and I are typically under 3gb each month. I even use Pandora an hour plus 5+ days a week.

FYI, they just upped the 10gb plan to 15gb for the same price; I just switched to it on Friday. I got rid of my unlimited data about a year ago when the value family plans came out. It is way cheaper, and I wasn't using enough data to make the unlimited worth it. We now have 15 gigs of data between 6 phones and we usually use around 10 gigs per month.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hmmm, following this.

I'm still rocking the Nokia candybar.

6015i.JPG

(not my phone, but very close)

The keys are getting sticky either doubletap or or no tap sometimes. I think it's time for a new one - preferably one with a keyboard.

I have a 7" tablet so, a smartphone is superfluous.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is what we have and I like the service a lot. Just which service you get depends on the phone you buy. I have a Samsung Centura (?) and it uses Verizon's towers and network. DoggyMama has a Motorola and it uses Sprint's. The phones at Walmart are marked with a V or an S to let you know which networks they will use.

DoggyDaddy. My wife tried Straight talk for one month and she said people kept not being able to reach her that were not local callers. I didn't know if it was a defective phone or defective service. She got a phone from Verizon that seems to work great but has smaller print so it is harder to use. I am looking at the LG440G and the box trying to find where there would be a "V" or an "S". If it was a Sprint phone, I may try to drop a Verizon SIM card to use the phone we already bought.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    My flip phone died. Physically, the body was falling apart and the reception was crud. Kept looking at Verizon and contacted family and got a lightly used phone with a slideout keypad. Nice for the limited texting I do. Some jobs I can see a smart phone making life significantly easier. For me, I would simply be distracted. Trying to simplify, slow down, and enjoy life with my family is contrary to what I see when people have smart phones. (I will admit, there are times when traveling one would be nice to look for something coming up -- local place to eat, etc. But not enough to justify the cost of having one).

Ask around and see what you can be given by family or friends.

Top Bottom