• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I'm so new to hunting that I've yet to take anything or really even properly plan what I'm going to do. So, for the sake of this thread, let's say that this is my introduction to the hunting world. I know that the wife and kids like Turkey and I thought it good to have at least one game that we enjoy eating to hunt to start out on. Who knows, maybe different types of game will follow.

Anyway, been watching a few videos on cleaning the turkey post kill (as opposes to pre-kill, silly right...:D) and it seems like everyone only wants the breast meat. Is it common practice to only take the breast?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Not much meat on the rest of a wild turkey. Legs are flat full of tendons..

I breast it out, chunk it up, roll it in salt, pepper, flour and deep cry it. Good stuff.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I just breast mine out. Legs and thighs can be pretty tough.
    On another note my taxi has a neighbor who makes turkey jerky out of the thighs and I must say that jerky is excellent!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Thanks guys for the info. Took my a while to get back, I know... I had planned on going in October. My Uncle however believes this to be a worthless time to go and would rather hunt deer with bow. Says the turkeys are better hunting in the spring. Has anyone else had this experience?

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I only take the breast but I like mine grilled

Marinade overnight with the following
    ½ BOTTLE OF TERIYACKI SAUCE

½ BOTTLE OF OLIVEOIL&VINEGER

2 OZ LEMEN JUICE CONSENTRATE

2 TABLE SPOONS MS DASH

2 CUPS OF MILK

5LBS OF MEAT

Everyone that try's it swears they are eating grilled chicken.

That's the only way I'll eat it now

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    It's never a worthless time to go turkey hunting!:):
    If turkey is in season its always a good time to go.

I'm no expert or anything but I've been spring turkey hunting for 24 years and fall hunting for 2 years with this being my 3rd.
    Granted spring turkey hunting is more exciting because of all the calling but fall hunting can be just as rewarding if not more so when you score.
    I am talking about targeting turkeys, not capitolizing on an opportunity while deer hunting, but thats ok too.
    I am 2 for 2 targeting fall turkeys with a shotgun so it can be done. Both were mature toms weighing about 20 pounds with 1 having a double beard.:rockwoot:I had been actually hoping for a mature hen to use as a stuffer. But I wasn't passing up a mature tom either.
    By the time fall shotgun season arrives I should have my fall turkeys patterened while bowhunting deer, then I'll slip in the woods in the afternoon and wait for them to show up. Both of my kills have occured in the late afternoon.
    I hope I have encouraged you to try fall turkey hunting, I'm def. looking forward to it.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    sorry for thread jack.....but could you stew the thighs? My wife makes a fantastic carribean jerk chicken stew, using only the thighs. Is there enough usable meat on wild turkey thighs to make the substitution?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    It's never a worthless time to go turkey hunting!:):
    If turkey is in season its always a good time to go.

I hope I have encouraged you to try fall turkey hunting, I'm def. looking forward to it.

Thanks! I'm still going to go for turkey this year. Now i need to research some since I think I'll be solo. For instance, blind use? certain clothes? My shotgun is all black. Is that a problem?

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Last one I shot I plucked, brined overnight and them smoked the following day. It was awesome. The thighs are very good if you like dark meat. I prefer dark over white with store-bought turkey, and dark meat from a wild bird is like extra dark.

In fact, this week I'll be making a chili with venison for the most part, but I'll be tossing in the drumsticks from that smoked turkey for flavor. If the meat is worth anything after cooking a few hours, I'll leave it in the chili too.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Thanks! I'm still going to go for turkey this year. Now i need to research some since I think I'll be solo. For instance, blind use? certain clothes? My shotgun is all black. Is that a problem?

Caleb, I haven't used a blind for fall turkeys while using a shotgun but that would work. If you do wear black on upper body.
    A black shotgun should be no problem. If they can see the shotgun they are in range.lol
    Patience is the key....at least for me anyway. Pattern your turkeys, then get there before they do and wait them out.
    My properties that I hunt are pretty small so running and gunning or busting up a flock and then calling them back won't work well for me.
    Good luck!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Caleb, I haven't used a blind for fall turkeys while using a shotgun but that would work. If you do wear black on upper body.
    A black shotgun should be no problem. If they can see the shotgun they are in range.lol
    Patience is the key....at least for me anyway. Pattern your turkeys, then get there before they do and wait them out.
    My properties that I hunt are pretty small so running and gunning or busting up a flock and then calling them back won't work well for me.
    Good luck!

I wouldn't wear black outside of the blind.

Turkeys can look black and wearing upper half clothing in that color...........whew that's pretty spooky IMHO.

Top Bottom