• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    threadjack: I need one too, mostly for splitting wood....should I get a general purpose axe or one made specifically for splitting?
    a specifically Splitting axe would be best for this sort of thing. They are essentially a bit wedge on the end of a handle but they split the wood like there is no tomorrow. I used one back when I was growing up. We lived on a wooded twenty acres and Dad would bring all the logs tome and I would split the wood for the fireplace. It was hard work but the splitting axe we had made it much easier than it would have been.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    03618b0559627202292e30ebd697fc38d48401d3_hq.gif

Rick approved one??

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    I was looking at the granfors and husky line,
    If you are seriously considering a Granfors, may I suggest you consider another less known Swedish brand: Hults Bruk. They have an axe for everything. And it's not a buy once in a lifetime kinda thing, it's a buy once every couple a centuries kinda thing.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have at least a half dozen axes and hatchets that are all probably over 80 years old and handed down from family. When one cracks a handle I get a new handle. Used axes are at every flea market and garage sale for a few dollars.. If one is only using them casually what great technical advances have come about that one needs to spend a lot of money on a new one?

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have at least a half dozen axes and hatchets that are all probably over 80 years old and handed down from family. When one cracks a handle I get a new handle. Used axes are at every flea market and garage sale for a few dollars.. If one is only using them casually what great technical advances have come about that one needs to spend a lot of money on a new one?

I love finding and restoring old axes/hammers. Made in the USA, usually priced low. Neat to use them wondering about their history.

Don

Top Bottom