• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I had concerns about recoil, but the sharp checkering on the grip was waaay more unpleasent! A Hogue Handall Junior solved that issue.

The recoil with standard pressure rounds isn't bad at all; thow some +P's in and you can definitely tell the difference. I don't like +P's generally, so it's not an issue for me. Can I get back on target faster with a 1911 or P220? Sure, but the PM45 is King For Comfort, and if comfort didn't matter I'd carry an HK45.

I'm glad to hear this because I bought a PM45 from PSS just a couple of days ago. I cant wait to break her in.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I've been meaning to get a new subcompact/compact .45 for awhile. I really like the Sigs... Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look at? I have rather large hands, and the p220 compact was the only compact that would fit correctly. The glock 30 was a joke.

I do like my HK USP Compact in .40 S&W. I typically use a 165 grain round. If you have big hands this might be a could try for you. I have the LEM model. It's SAO. Very light trigger. Over two years with it I've probably put 3,000 rounds through it. Zero issues. :patriot:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    This is simply my personal opinion, but it is based on experience with a few different tiny .45s:

Unless you enjoy terrible ergonomics, low capacity, and stiff recoil I would look else ware. One of those attributes may be acceptable, but most have all three. 45acp is for service pistols; cramming it into a pocket gun is seldom a good idea.

If you need a good carry gun, I would sugest any of the many good 9mm or 380 compacts. A Smith J-frame or the Ruger LCR would be wonderful as well.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I carry a Colt Defender most days and love it. I also have a XD45C and it too is a fine pistol. Put a set of CT grips on the Defender and try it out for a while.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is simply my personal opinion, but it is based on experience with a few different tiny .45s:

Unless you enjoy terrible ergonomics, low capacity, and stiff recoil I would look else ware. One of those attributes may be acceptable, but most have all three. 45acp is for service pistols; cramming it into a pocket gun is seldom a good idea.

If you need a good carry gun, I would sugest any of the many good 9mm or 380 compacts. A Smith J-frame or the Ruger LCR would be wonderful as well.

Semi Range Report: I just took my brand new PM45 to the range for break in. It shot flawlessly, very accurate and handled 100 rounds of standard Winchester White box with very low recoil. Really I was amazed at how little felt recoil was. I also shot some Ranger SXT +P 230gr out of it. Now the +P's were unpleasant to shoot but standard white box was totally manageable and fun to shoot. I also shot some low power reloads a fellow on the range was kind enough to let me have. The gun functioned 100% with these rounds also. This is my new carry gun, no hesitation.

If anyone is looking for a sub compact in .45 ACP I recommend the Kahr PM45 enthusiastically.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Semi Range Report: I just took my brand new PM45 to the range for break in. It shot flawlessly, very accurate and handled 100 rounds of standard Winchester White box with very low recoil. Really I was amazed at how little felt recoil was. I also shot some Ranger SXT +P 230gr out of it. Now the +P's were unpleasant to shoot but standard white box was totally manageable and fun to shoot. I also shot some low power reloads a fellow on the range was kind enough to let me have. The gun functioned 100% with these rounds also. This is my new carry gun, no hesitation.

If anyone is looking for a sub compact in .45 ACP I recommend the Kahr PM45 enthusiastically.

I knew you'd love it!

Mine likes all ammo except Hornaday "Critical Defense" and Wolf (I had to try it, I suggest you don't). Of course, YMMV.

The checkering on mine really did a number on my hand, but I haven't been an 11B for going on 18 years so I'm kinda soft now. :rolleyes: A Hogue Handall Jr makes it even more pleasent to shoot.

Get a Crossbreed holster (or probably a Kholster, same theory) and you'll be set.

Congrats!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Here's what I carry. The Kahr is as subcompact as it gets in a semi .45, and the Sig works better than my 1911 from a comfort standpoint, at least for me.

PB241893.jpg

PB241892.jpg

PB241891.jpg

PB241895.jpg

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I knew you'd love it!

Mine likes all ammo except Hornaday "Critical Defense" and Wolf (I had to try it, I suggest you don't). Of course, YMMV.

The checkering on mine really did a number on my hand, but I haven't been an 11B for going on 18 years so I'm kinda soft now. :rolleyes: A Hogue Handall Jr makes it even more pleasent to shoot.

Get a Crossbreed holster (or probably a Kholster, same theory) and you'll be set.

Congrats!

I'm just surprised how much I liked it. I already contacted Kholster about getting a holster for this, short story I'm on their list. The checkering only bothered me shooting +P rounds, which of course is what I will carry.
    I posted a detailed range review of my break in with the PM45 at KAHRtalk if interested here is a link: New Kahr Guy, starting with a PM45 - KahrTalk Forums

breakinparts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Well I came across a decent deal on a very lightly used Glock 36 with factory adjustable sights... I quickly added 1 round extensions for comfort. Anyone have any recommendation on what protection rounds to use? The guy at the store recommended just using good ball ammo in a .45. He said they would work just as well.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Well I came across a decent deal on a very lightly used Glock 36 with factory adjustable sights... I quickly added 1 round extensions for comfort. Anyone have any recommendation on what protection rounds to use? The guy at the store recommended just using good ball ammo in a .45. He said they would work just as well.

He lied. I'm partial to Federal HST's and Gold Dots, but any JHP that's reliable out of your Glock would be better than FMJ. :twocents:

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    I prefer the Wilson combat 1911 subcompact. Ball ammo is the worst feeding and no very good for home defense. It will travel through walls and could hit others in the house like your wife. I know where is the downside...LOL

breakinparts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    He lied. I'm partial to Federal HST's and Gold Dots, but any JHP that's reliable out of your Glock would be better than FMJ. :twocents:

Thanks for the info. I'll use the FMJ's to get used to the gun, then get used to shooting the HST's afterwards. I don't like the idea of having a FMJ loaded .45 in the house either.

breakinparts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Picked up some Gold dot ammo for a decent deal, so I now have gold dot 200gr +p in it now. Still haven't found a gun that has felt so good in my hand yet...

Top Bottom