• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think this is big step for me :D

I'm wanting to get my first fixed blade. Use it as a back up for my gun. But I'd like to cut other stuff too. Obviously.

I'm actually looking at the Ka-Bar TDI 2 5/16. It seems to be a popular knife. But I've never held a knife with a curved blade like that.

Are you able to cut everyday items with it easily?
    How do you carry this knife? IWB, OWB? What location?

Are there any other knives you recommend?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    it cuts just as easy as any other knife, and I would carry it OWB pulling knives in a defensive role and even doing mundane things IWB is asking to cut yourself IMO.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm a knife lover from way, way back and I've got more than I could ever rationalize. However, I never carry a knife as a "back up". There is a tired old joke about what to bring to a knife fight. The answer, "A .45". Good answer.

Learned in the military that you really do not want the situation to deteriorate to the point of personal contact. You can get hurt, or dead, so quickly that way. I suggest another magazine or or something else that shoots.

If you think there is a lot to learn about carrying a pistol for protection, just read up on what you have to know, and practice, to depend on a knife. Just my :twocents:. Think of a knife as a very useful tool.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'm a knife lover from way, way back and I've got more than I could ever rationalize. However, I never carry a knife as a "back up". There is a tired old joke about what to bring to a knife fight. The answer, "A .45". Good answer.

Learned in the military that you really do not want the situation to deteriorate to the point of personal contact. You can get hurt, or dead, so quickly that way. I suggest another magazine or or something else that shoots.

If you think there is a lot to learn about carrying a pistol for protection, just read up on what you have to know, and practice, to depend on a knife. Just my :twocents:. Think of a knife as a very useful tool.

knives are very viable as a backup and in somes case frontline weapon. ask anybody thats been rushed by an attacker with a knife how they couldn't get their gun out in time, it's been documented numerous times and some gun trainings use the 21 ft. example of having someone rush you with a training knife and you try to pull and shoot, it usually shuts up the nay sayers.:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0fPL4f3Eqc

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Whatever you do, stay away from Knife Lady. She has shiny trinkets for sale and then you become addicted and she just smiles and displays more items.

Hi Sheila :cool:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

It's still viable backup. If someone is close enough that you can't draw and fire in time in time to stop him, you're going to HAVE to go hands-on. You try to pull a gun at that range, and all sorts of things can happen. He can grab your gun-hand, and rounds start going off and hitting the kids at the McDonalds across the street, or the guy walking past on the sidewalk, just for starters. Overpenetration at that range is also a potential issue.

At close range, I would much rather have a knife than a gun for a lot of reasons. Guns are great, given their limitations. Extreme close range is where they don't shine. Their big advantage is range. At extreme close range, a knife will outdo a gun almost every time if the guy holding the knife has any idea of what to do with it. And if anybody thinks he's going to block or grab my knife hand or do any of that fancy crap, I have news for him. He's getting stabbed, that's what's going to happen.

All of that said, I carry a knife as a tool first, and a weapon second. But make no mistake, my knife is a very effective weapon, given its limitations.

But here's the absolute bottom line: if someone gets the drop on you, it doesn't matter what you have, and it doesn't matter what they have. You're screwed. So try to see trouble coming in time to do something about it before it gets to you.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok, I'm thinking of something else now. Using Google, it seems like the ESEE IZULA is a very popular knife here. I think I'm liking it more than the KA-BAR now, and I think I could get more use out of IZULA.

Maybe.

I'm just not sure if I'd want to use it as a neck knife. So, how good is the sheath that comes with it?
    I noticed I can buy Micarta handle scales to go with it, what's everyone's opinions on the scales?
    But, it does seem like everyone wraps the handles with paracord. Is that easy to do yourself, or would it be best to have Tyler do it?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The handles that can be purchased for the Izula were a little bulky for me and I went with a wrap. The sheath is solid, but I'm getting one made that will allow me to carry it parallel with the blade facing the ground.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The handles that can be purchased for the Izula were a little bulky for me and I went with a wrap. The sheath is solid, but I'm getting one made that will allow me to carry it parallel with the blade facing the ground.

Raven concealment?

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.

I've tried this way of carrying a fixed blade and I have to say I like it alot! I've even carried my Busse like this, it's nice to be able to draw with either hand.:yesway:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have exactly what a person needs for their Izula sheath. I sell it for $10. It is not a sheath but it attaches to the standard sheath for the Izula or the Izula II. You can also use it for all the ESEE knives. It helps to deploy your knife with either hand while allowing the sheath to stay in place.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I like my SOG SEAL Team "pup". The nice thing about Indiana is that the law governing knives are pretty open. Weird thing though, they don't like throwing stars. Like not too many people in America really know how to use those anyway, so why the law on those?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I like my SOG SEAL Team "pup". The nice thing about Indiana is that the law governing knives are pretty open. Weird thing though, they don't like throwing stars. Like not too many people in America really know how to use those anyway, so why the law on those?

Some weakling namby pamby crybaby legislator probably saw a kung fu movie once upon a time and that was that. And since most people don't use shuriken it was easy to add them to the list of prohibited weapons

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Squib said:
    Squib said:

If you think there is a lot to learn about carrying a pistol for protection, just read up on what you have to know, and practice, to depend on a knife. Just my . Think of a knife as a very useful tool.

Wow, that’s just full of WIN there. This theory of a ranged, equal armament, equal initiative fight is just myth. The decision for a contact distance fight to step off is often time not ours to make. The bad guys are very, very adept at closing distance once they have selected a victim. That ranks right up there with the “Tactical Teds” who spout off “I just don’t let anyone get that close to me.” Oh really? How many times have you been to the grocery store, gas station, local stop and rob, or parking lot and managed to maintain a constant 30 ft bubble in all directions devoid of another person? I’ve tried, just for giggles, unless the place is empty, I could never successfully do it.

In fight access of any tool isn’t easy, If you think it is I’d encourage you to strap on some trainers, and fist helmets and see how that goes. Even an inexperienced guy can foul a draw at 3 steps an in. I watched a group of 18 experienced guys consistently have MAJOR issues getting weapons into play during a FUT (that stands for Fouled Up Tangle, Thanks to Southnarc for that acronym).

It's still viable backup. If someone is close enough that you can't draw and fire in time in time to stop him, you're going to HAVE to go hands-on. You try to pull a gun at that range, and all sorts of things can happen. He can grab your gun-hand, and rounds start going off and hitting the kids at the McDonalds across the street, or the guy walking past on the sidewalk, just for starters. Overpenetration at that range is also a potential issue.
    On the issue of shots going everywhere, if you are properly trained in methods for attached shooting, this is a non-issue. Look up some of Southnarc’s videos on Youtube. You’ll see fight after fight where guys employed handguns and got shots on the attacker while surrounded (360 degrees) by other class members. It can be done, there is a method to it, and it doesn’t involve just randomly triggering rounds. It needs to be trained and practiced just like your ranged shooting techniques.

At close range, I would much rather have a knife than a gun for a lot of reasons. Guns are great, given their limitations. Extreme close range is where they don't shine. Their big advantage is range. At extreme close range, a knife will outdo a gun almost every time if the guy holding the knife has any idea of what to do with it.
    At close range, I’d rather have both. Although I agree that the knife is a devastating asset at contact distance, the wound channel created by a close range gunshot is impressive. Additionally, I don’t want to chase someone to employ the tool. Often times one of the two parties may break range once the fight starts and things aren’t going there way. This does not necessarily mean they are no longer a threat. You may need to re-engage them from a longer range and the transition to pistol is important there.

And if anybody thinks he's going to block or grab my knife hand or do any of that fancy crap, I have news for him. He's getting stabbed, that's what's going to happen.
    In fight weapons access (IFWA) has the same issues whether you’re drawing a knife, a gun, or an impact tool. If you fail to adhere to a few rules, you’re draw can be fouled, and the tool may never be a factor in the fight. Again, this must be trained and practiced, it’s not just a “natural instinct”

But here's the absolute bottom line: if someone gets the drop on you, it doesn't matter what you have, and it doesn't matter what they have. You're screwed. So try to see trouble coming in time to do something about it before it gets to you.
    Not exactly, yes you are a more disadvantaged position, but speed, aggression, and violence of action for your response will play a factor in the final outcome of the fight.

Sorry folks, got on my soap box a bit there.

To the OP’s question, Here’s a list of some of the EDC fixed blades I’ve carried:
    Shivworks Clinch pick
    Shivworks Disciple
    CRKT Ryan Plan B
    Cold Steel Braveheart
    Kasper Companion
    Emerson La Griffe
    Cold Steel Safe Maker 2 (push dagger)
    Ka-Bar Small TDI
    Cubby Special Pikal Angry Mariner

All had their pluses and minuses. Some of the better ones were the Clinch pick, the Ryan Plan B, and the Safe Maker.

Here are some general rules of thumb I have developed for selecting an defensive knife.
    · Easy to access (as I said, IFWA is the hardest part of the equation, don’t hamper yourself with a knife you can’t get too)
    · Securely carried (Kind of at odds with #1, but if the blade isn’t there when I reach for it, it’s not worth much to me)
    · Stout (Flesh is soft, bone is not. A broken knife can really suck when you need it most)
    · Grippy (One of the most common injuries when you study knife assaults is cuts to the hands of the guy with the knife. After cut one you’re going to be “wet” sliding up on your own blade can be bad news)
    · Pointy (I don’t count on cuts or slashes to end a fight, I want something I can poke holes in a threat with)

In keeping with this, I don’t recommend skeletonized handles, they are just too thin and slippery. I would also caution against a large knife. Much like a full sized handgun, they bring with them a series of carry issues that may lead you to leave it at home. I also don’t like neck knives, they move around too much to be consistently accessed when I need them.

Sorry, long post, guess I got rollin!

Tinman….

Top Bottom