• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I just got into buying guns in October when I bought a SR9C and a rock river AR15. I have shot both guns twice and truthfully finding ammo for the AR that's not crazy overpriced or at all is almost impossible. I guess my question is will I ever be able to find steel ammo for .25 a round or brass for around .35 a round again?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Did you stop driving when gas went up?

And if you don't think that's a good analogy, how bout the reloaders of the gas world....

The market is what it is, shop around or reload. Can you shoot as much as b4, I don't know what your finances are only you can answer that. Maybe it's time to down grade to an economy car(gun). Trigger time is much cheaper on a .22

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I agree with Red. Prices will come down some, but it's kind of like remembering when gas was $1.00 a gallon and complaining about today's prices. We will never see the prices we had in 2005, so we have to get over it. Now, when this finally settles down, I will be buying reloading components and as much ammo as I can off of the shelves.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    It has already started to come down some. BassPro (where prices normally look high) currently has 55gr UMC (brass cased FMJ) for $9.99/20rds.

I don't know how long it will last before they run out, but it is definitely a sign of things returning towards normal. I suspect that prices will be back down to $7-8/box of standard ammo within the next couple of months unless some new tax is created.

Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Kinda off topic but what is the big deal with those pmags? I have 10 of the 30 rd metal ones like I used as a weekend warrior and have never had a problem with them.

Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    And I had a 10/22 for a while before it got stolen and really liked it. I am going to buy another eventually

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Kinda off topic but what is the big deal with those pmags? I have 10 of the 30 rd metal ones like I used as a weekend warrior and have never had a problem with them.

As far as I know, they're polymer and have a different follower. I used nothing but metal mags and a few Vietnam era 20 rounders loaded with soft for cqb.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

The Magpul follower in the PMags feeds better than the older style in many of the metal mags and the poly mags do not get damaged as easily under rough handling. For many, it will never make a difference.

If you intend on taking any carbine courses or using it for SD practice/3-gun competition, however, the PMags are a blessing since they do hold up to the drops much better.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I just got into buying guns in October when I bought a SR9C and a rock river AR15. I have shot both guns twice and truthfully finding ammo for the AR that's not crazy overpriced or at all is almost impossible. I guess my question is will I ever be able to find steel ammo for .25 a round or brass for around .35 a round again?

If moderate increases in the price of ammo is making you think about "getting out", perhaps it's not the hobby for you in the first place???

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would say it may be a while before the buying "craze" subsides - then it should should become reasonable again, don't know where the price will settle - In my opinion far below today's prices, maybe a little higher than the pre-panic prices. If you are really interested in the shooting sport, I would say stay in and learn to reload. Reloading is not only a reasonable way to obtain ammo, it is almost a hobby in itself. Once you become proficient at reloading, you can usually find more accurate loads for your firearm, as well as making cheap plinking rounds with "pulled bullets" and "Military surplus powder" for just relatively accurate 100 yard or so shooting. If your not really into shooting, you may want to just retain a personal protection/home defense handgun and/or shotgun and sell your AR. At any rate you should become proficient with these weapons and practice until you do. Might be the most important money you have or ever will spend.

Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Well one of my buddies was looking at them pretty hard when I bought mine never pulled the trigger would get it for what I have in it if I sold it

Top Bottom