• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    I have been toying with the Idea of getting rid of my AR for a 1911. I had a Springfield 1911 A1 that was somewhat modified in the past and like an idiot I sold the gun and would like to get another 1911. I have shot Kimbers and the Springfields. I don't know that Im ready to spend the cash for a Wilson Custom or a super high end Colt but what does everyone else like. Value vs Price etc....Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Check out the Smith & Wesson "E" series 1911's. I looked at them at the NRA show, selling, well, trying to sell one of my AR's, a Rock River with a lot of accessories so far no interest at all.

May well end up seeing what I can get at a gun shop, would rather help someone out rather than give away to gun store, but, sometimes that's how it goes.

HTH

Bob

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I have been super impressed with a recently-purchased Rock Island Armory 1911 (mine is in 9mm but others have reported great success with .45's) - the 'tactical' with decent sights is around $450. With a decent shooting 1911 that would be a good platform for customization coming in at around half or a quarter of what some kitted out AR's are selling for you might want to hold on to the AR and add the 1911 a little later.

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I would be pretty hard-pressed to sell a nice rifle and replace it with a handgun as well... and I'm a handgun guy.

If you don't have something specific in mind right now and you're just toying with the idea, spend a while saving money and researching.

This probably isn't the advice you wanted, but I think in the long run you'll be happier for it.

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    I have a Rock Island 1911 and it's wonderful! The only other 1911 I have shot as well with is (don't laugh) a Norinco 1911.

The RIA's that Mikerccie refers too is the kind my buddy Buckstopshere has. It shoots very well and is reasonably priced.

I've not shot any super high-end 1911's (Kimbers, etc), but at the end of the day you need to ask yourself: why do I want this handgun? If its for personal protection, do you really need to blow $700 to $1000 on a fully ported almost competition grade handgun? Or, do you just need it to go BANG and put 8-10 nice, large .45 inch holes in a nice grouping at 25feet?

If the latter, then an RIA will do that nicely.

Good luck with your search. I'd sell you my RIA, but me likey too much!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I would be pretty hard-pressed to sell a nice rifle and replace it with a handgun as well... and I'm a handgun guy.

If you don't have something specific in mind right now and you're just toying with the idea, spend a while saving money and researching.

This probably isn't the advice you wanted, but I think in the long run you'll be happier for it.

:yesway:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I would also hang on to the AR. Save up some cash. Keep researching. If I still felt the same after a few months ....

Springfield Armory Range Officer ($700-$800)

1911-A1-45f.jpg

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Guy sells AR15 for 8 round 1911.
    Obama bans hi cap pistols and assault rifles.
    Guy feels really stupid.

Happened to me in 1994, could happen...just sayin.

Travis Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    I agree with a few of the others here. I would just hang on to the AR for the time being and save some money while doing more research on what exactly you want and who knows by the time you really figure out what you want you might have saved enough to buy it without saleing your AR. but if you are in a hurry might I recommend the new Remington R-1 1911. They feel great and shoot great as well. It is the closest thing I have found to my dads Colt 1911. I highly recommend

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Guy sells AR15 for 8 round 1911.
    Obama bans hi cap pistols and assault rifles.
    Guy feels really stupid.

Happened to me in 1994, could happen...just sayin.

First thing that came to my mind when I read the Op's post. 1911 definitely worth adding to anyone's short list to save for and purchase.

NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    I could go out and buy a 1911 today...I just don't have a place to shoot the AR I feel it's a little impractical. Great gun but If it doesn't get used then why keep it. I do appreciate all the input and I'm still on the fence.

Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis

Ditto. Keep the AR and save for the 1911 if you must have it. Start your 1911 fund. I have a gun fund I put money into each month.

Ways to save money. Save your change: empty your pocket each night and hat money goes to the 1911. Eat ramon noodles/cheap meals. Stay away from eating out (unless it's the dollar menu and you restrict yourself to $2 put the money you would have spent towards your 1911.

It sounds like you really want the 1911. You might consider getting that Wilson.... unless you would never use it cause you spent so much on it (that's the reason I'm not going to buy a 1911, I would never use it cause of the $)

Milkshakeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I could go out and buy a 1911 today...I just don't have a place to shoot the AR I feel it's a little impractical. Great gun but If it doesn't get used then why keep it. I do appreciate all the input and I'm still on the fence.

Great point to be considered, but think of how you feel about the 1911 now. Chances are you will feel the same way about the AR (unless it's junk) at some point.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I sold a colt officer's model all stainless to fund an AR build a while back and still regret it. I try to keep my guns and like others have said save a little everyday and you will be there before ya know it. Take Your time , Dan

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Ummm....I have a solution: I'll trade you my Sig 1911 (.22)

EVEN:D
    Just kidding....save up for the 1911...there are very few guns I have let go of that I don't wish I had back

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Don't get rid of a gun that works for a gun that will probably work. Ammo, mags, parts for the AR then save your money for the handgun.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I agree with many of the other posts, that you should keep the AR, and research and save for a 1911. You may not think about it now. But in the long run you will regret selling or trading off the AR. Something else to think about in a 1911. Its what I did for my first 1911. I built mine. Went to gunshows and picked out each part. (this was before the internet.) Not only did I have fun building the pistol. I learned a great deal about the workings of. It will always be my favorite shooter.

1911big.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll toss in another vote for the RIA 1911s. I have a Springfield, 2 Kimbers and an RIA and if I had it to do over again, but could only afford one, it would be the RIA. It's every bit as accurate and reliable than the Kimbers and Springfield. It's heavy for its size, but I've come to realize that light weight is not the ultimate goal when looking for something you will need to be able to shoot effectively. Since getting my RIA, I've done a trigger job and added an extended thumb safety. It did not really need the trigger job, but I wanted to do it anyway. It really is a nice gun. If at all possible, hold on to the AR and save for an RIA. You won't be disappointed.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    i have a .22LR conversion upper for my AR - gives me the opportunity to shoot it at PopGuns' indoor range and still have my .223 AR for other purposes.

Top Bottom